EVA Foam Cylon Centurion Build

Tips, tricks, inside secrets, help, sources, items used on making the Cylon Centurion suit to wear. Tell us your story, how you came about collecting your parts to a Centurion, or if you own a complete Centurion costume.
ddiggerr
Spare Parts

Re: EVA Foam Cylon Centurion Build

Post by ddiggerr » Mon Jul 21, 2014 6:53 am

Yes those are beveled edges. It was a pain getting everything to come together, however, it all worked out in the end. It's not the best build in the world using the eva foam, but it will have to do. I've been busy with everything else around here and have seemed to have rushed some of the steps.

The foam is 1/4" thick or metric 6mm. It holds up pretty good and is easy to work with. I also have a sheet of 4mm, but haven't used a lot of it.
Attachments
IMG_0824.JPG
IMG_0819.JPG
IMG_0817.JPG

GoldCylon
Founder

Post by GoldCylon » Mon Jul 21, 2014 10:42 pm

Phone helmets interesting looks good. Keep up the great work.
Image :cylongold: :cylongold: :cylongold:

Centurion Eric
Centurion

Post by Centurion Eric » Tue Jul 22, 2014 12:53 pm

ddiggerr wrote:Yes those are beveled edges. It was a pain getting everything to come together, however, it all worked out in the end. It's not the best build in the world using the eva foam, but it will have to do. I've been busy with everything else around here and have seemed to have rushed some of the steps.

The foam is 1/4" thick or metric 6mm. It holds up pretty good and is easy to work with. I also have a sheet of 4mm, but haven't used a lot of it.
Looks easier with the 6mm instead of the 10mm I used. I have a feeling the 4mm would be too thin.

ddiggerr
Spare Parts

Post by ddiggerr » Wed Jul 23, 2014 7:27 pm

Painted the helmets. Not what I expected. But it's foam.
Applied 2 coats of Plasti-dip and 2 coats of chrome Rustoleum.
Attachments
silver_cylon.jpg

Centurion Eric
Centurion

Post by Centurion Eric » Wed Jul 23, 2014 7:35 pm

ddiggerr wrote:Painted the helmets. Not what I expected. But it's foam.
Applied 2 coats of Plasti-dip and 2 coats of chrome Rustoleum.
I'm going to try using a couple of coats of Elmer's glue followed by a couple of coats of a two part polyurethane to give it a hard surface before painting.

Centurion Eric
Centurion

EVA Foam Cylon Centurion Build - Polyurethane Coating

Post by Centurion Eric » Thu Jul 24, 2014 9:22 pm

I started looking for a source of two part polyurethane resin to coat the foam. Not cheap, but I think it will be worth it. You can sand and paint it. It gives the foam a more rigid surface. It takes 10 to 15 minutes to harden so it has time to flow a bit and smooth out the brush strokes. A couple of coats should help hide the seams.

At least I won't have to pay shipping. I found a local provider that just happens to be near the eva foam supplier :D. Smooth Cast 65D is the same stuff used by xrobots.co.uk to coat his eva foam Iron Man armor.

I think it will give the foam a hardened and smooth surface for painting.

Centurion Eric
Centurion

EVA Foam Cylon Centurion Build - Smooth On

Post by Centurion Eric » Sat Jul 26, 2014 1:43 pm

I went to Maker Fare Detroit and Smooth On had a booth. The rep told me they have a product just like this that will go directly on eva foam. He said it has almost exactly the same profile as the 65D I was looking at. It's a bit more expensive but I think would be better in the long run. [url=http://www.smooth-on.com/index.php?cPath=1400]EPSILON

Centurion Eric
Centurion

Post by Centurion Eric » Fri Aug 22, 2014 9:05 pm

Sorry for not posting as of late. It's renaissance faire season and I'm busy faire-ing. Did score some Cooper hockey gloves on Ebay. Just waiting for delivery. They are almost correct. The fingers have a knuckle joint. I might sew them together. Will have to wait until they arrive to see if that's possible.

Cylon-Knight
Site Administrator

Post by Cylon-Knight » Sat Aug 23, 2014 12:09 pm

We have a Renaissance Festival in my area every year starting up soon. I've pondered if a certain Cylon Centurion (ME!) should invade it. ;)
:evillaugh:
"All Baseships are now in range to attack the Colonies."

Return to “Centurion Builders' Forum”