EVA Foam Cylon Centurion Build

Tips, tricks, inside secrets, help, sources, items used on making the Cylon Centurion suit to wear. Tell us your story, how you came about collecting your parts to a Centurion, or if you own a complete Centurion costume.
Centurion Eric
Centurion

Post by Centurion Eric » Wed Jul 02, 2014 7:58 pm

This is my first post for my Centurion build. My plan is to make the bucket and armor from EVA foam, coat the foam with polyurethane, then finish and paint "gold". I'll probably add some battle damage - carbon scoring, burns, dents, etc.

I downloaded the pepakura files provided by Bazooka Jo (http://www.bazookajo.me.uk/PaperModels/Cylon/Cylon.htm) and constructed it out of card. Since foam will distort in multiple directions unlike paper, it makes sense to modify the template where possible, combining continuous sections and removing seams used to curve the paper. The card version gives me a model to work from. Good thing too. It's a bit small for my noggin. I scaled it up by 20% to give me room for the foam and a bit extra.

I also ordered a Larson Scanner from Evil Mad Scientist (http://shop.evilmadscientist.com/produc ... 52-scanner). At $13 it's worth a go. I ordered the smaller clear LEDs instead of the diffuse ones. I intend to add a diffuser across the eye slit in front of the LEDs. Just got the package today. Looks like it should work well.

Last edited by Centurion Eric on Sun Jul 06, 2014 4:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Centurion Eric
Centurion

Post by Centurion Eric » Sat Jul 05, 2014 11:23 pm

Well, I spent the last couple of days attempting to make the helmet from 10 mm EVA foam interlocking floor mats I picked up at a local store. They cut just fine and the hot glue worked well, but the mats were just too thick and inflexible. The heat gun wasn't doing the trick.

I think the material is just too thick for what I'm attempting. I'm going to retry with 6 mm foam.

On a positive note, the Larson Scanner went together great.

Centurion Eric
Centurion

Post by Centurion Eric » Sun Jul 06, 2014 3:46 pm

After all the trouble with the foam material I purchased wouldn't you know there's a place within an hour drive that sells large sheets and rolls of cross linked polyethylene foam. Now I just have to figure out what I need.

The Foam Factory has so many choices I'm not sure what to get.

I'm either going to go with polyethylene foam by the roll (2 lb density, 1/4" thick x 60" wide, $3.59/foot) or by the sheet (2 lb density, 1/4" thick, 72" x 48", $21.99/sheet). They are both cross-linked. I think the 1/4" (6 mm) should work. Not sure if the density is correct. I'm afraid 4 lb would be too dense.

Centurion Eric
Centurion

Post by Centurion Eric » Mon Jul 07, 2014 8:29 am

For diffusing the LED light from the visor I think a slightly tinted plastic sheet frosted on the inside would still allow enough light out (the LED's are pretty bright when viewed straight on) while still obscuring the view into the helmet from the outside.

I may use fiber optic cables attached to the LED's so I can put the electronics somewhere other than right on top of the visor slit. The helmet is small enough without adding a circuit board on the bridge of my nose. I wish I could afford to add a "Google glass" style HUD with an external camera for visibility, but that's just way out of my price range.

Cylon-Knight
Site Administrator

Re: EVA Foam Cylon Centurion Build

Post by Cylon-Knight » Thu Jul 10, 2014 9:12 pm

Wonderful work!
Watching your build for more updates - thanks for sharing!
"All Baseships are now in range to attack the Colonies."

rustycylon
Squadron Leader

Post by rustycylon » Fri Jul 11, 2014 2:03 pm

cool project :cylongold:

Centurion Eric
Centurion

EVA Foam Cylon Centurion Build - Eye Scanner of Love

Post by Centurion Eric » Fri Jul 11, 2014 10:14 pm

After looking for an eye scanner audio solution online I came to the conclusion I either have to shell out some bucks for a prebuilt turnkey solution, roll my own electronic sound clip repeater, or hack something together. I decided to go the hack route.

I have several mp3 players gathering dust. Now that the family all has iPhones they just aren't used any longer.

My first thought was an first generation iPod touch. The battery life on this little guy isn't very good any more.

My second choice was this very cheap mp3 player. I can't even tell you what brand it is. After looking around online, it appears to have been something generic used by a lot of manufacturers. It appears to have a repeat option, but I couldn't figure out how to get it to work. I remember them as rather unreliable.

My final choice is an old Sansa e250. It has 2 GB of storage, and a nice repeat option. The controls are a bit funky, but it has a hold button. It also still has a pretty good battery in it. I'll have to set it up sometime and let it play continuously to see how long it will run. It will run while plugged into a USB port, so I might be able to use an external battery pack of some kind.

I hooked it up to a cheap USB/battery powered speaker to see how it sounds. It'll do.

Centurion Eric
Centurion

Post by Centurion Eric » Fri Jul 11, 2014 10:44 pm

rustycylon wrote:cool project :cylongold:
Thanks! Going to take my time and do it right. At least that's the plan.

Centurion Eric
Centurion

Post by Centurion Eric » Fri Jul 11, 2014 10:45 pm

Cylon-Knight wrote:Wonderful work!
Watching your build for more updates - thanks for sharing!
Thanks! I plan to show all of the steps. Well, almost all of them. I didn't take photos of the complete failure with the 10mm foam.

Finster
Centurion

Post by Finster » Fri Jul 11, 2014 11:12 pm

I am enjoying watching your progress. Keep updating. Perhaps it's just my settings but when I try to play the video I get "This video is private" and it doesn't play

Centurion Eric
Centurion

Post by Centurion Eric » Sat Jul 12, 2014 6:53 am

Finster wrote:I am enjoying watching your progress. Keep updating. Perhaps it's just my settings but when I try to play the video I get "This video is private" and it doesn't play
My bad, still set to private. Must be the default when you upload from a phone.

Centurion Eric
Centurion

EVA Foam Cylon Centurion Build - A Voice

Post by Centurion Eric » Fri Jul 18, 2014 11:42 pm

I'm thinking about trying something like this message playback kit, USB5M 300 second (5 minutes) USB recording module, to give myself a voice.

I could put the buttons into the laser rifle. Or maybe in the glove finger tips so I could trigger them by pressing each finger tip with my thumb or against the rifle.

I wouldn't be very talkative with just four phrases, but it should sound pretty good with a simple amplifier.

Cylon-Knight
Site Administrator

Post by Cylon-Knight » Sat Jul 19, 2014 7:58 am

Very interesting. Cool find on the recorder.
"All Baseships are now in range to attack the Colonies."

ddiggerr
Spare Parts

Post by ddiggerr » Sun Jul 20, 2014 8:47 am

Looks good. I too also like that recorder for the voice ...

check out my EVA Foam build ....

http://www.byyourcommand.net/cylonforum ... 392#p29392

Centurion Eric
Centurion

Post by Centurion Eric » Sun Jul 20, 2014 2:56 pm

ddiggerr wrote:Looks good. I too also like that recorder for the voice ...

check out my EVA Foam build ....

http://www.byyourcommand.net/cylonforum ... 392#p29392
Very nice! I'd like to ask you a few questions if I might.

It looks like you used the same pepakura pattern I'm using. Other than cutting off the fold tabs, did you make any other pattern modifications?

Did you bevel the edges? In my first attempt, I found it difficult to get the bevel correct on the section of the helmet joining the face. The tension distorted the face. I've been trying to redesign the helmet to reduce the bevels wherever possible for my next attempt, not sure if it will work.

What thickness of eva foam did you use? The 10mm I used was way too thick. I'm thinking of using 6mm. I'm afraid 4mm would be too flexible.

Return to “Centurion Builders' Forum”