The EMS Vocoder 2000 IS the Cylon Vocoder, NOT the Senn-...

Tips, tricks, inside secrets, help, sources, items used on making the Cylon Centurion suit to wear. Tell us your story, how you came about collecting your parts to a Centurion, or if you own a complete Centurion costume.
VoiceEncoder
Spare Parts

The EMS Vocoder 2000 IS the Cylon Vocoder, NOT the Senn-...

Post by VoiceEncoder » Fri Sep 21, 2012 2:40 pm

heiser Vocoder VSM201!! This has been CONFIRMED in the book How to Wreck a Nice Beach by Dave Tompkins who spoke with all involved and told him it was in fact the EMS Vocoder 2000 and that Mr. Peter Berkos was just misremembering it. However, the Sennheiser Vocoder VSM201 was indeed used for other sound-effects like Muffet and the launch pad, etc...

Mr. Neil Young did use the Sennheiser Vocoder VSM201 for his vocals on Trans, while Soundwave from G1 The Transformers was the Roland VP-330 Vocoder Plus!!!

This is the closest I've EVER heard!!! Definitely sounds like it's the EMS Vocoder 2000 to me, and NOT the Sennheiser Vocoder VSM201!!! :cylongold: :cylon: :byyourcommand:

Panick
Spare Parts

Re: The EMS Vocoder 2000 IS the Cylon Vocoder, NOT the Senn-

Post by Panick » Fri Sep 21, 2012 4:44 pm

Okay, now we just need Groupleaderzeta to squeeze that down to wristwatch size and we'll all be good! :cool:

GoldCylon
Founder

Post by GoldCylon » Fri Sep 21, 2012 5:15 pm

Let's compair notes. You claimed in the posting ALL INVOLVED. Name some of these people involved. I have a contact sheet of the people involved, and not one of them I spoke with said they used anything else. I am not a audio expert to any degree, but I do what people that work at Universal on Galactica told me. The only one with any memory problems to mention was Peter Berkos. Those didn't claim memory problems still said they used the Senn. I have their phones numbers, and would be glad to call and follow up your reply to the ALL INVOLVED comment.

VoiceEncoder
Spare Parts

Post by VoiceEncoder » Fri Sep 21, 2012 7:07 pm

GoldCylon wrote:Let's compair notes. You claimed in the posting ALL INVOLVED. Name some of these people involved. I have a contact sheet of the people involved, and not one of them I spoke with said they used anything else. I am not a audio expert to any degree, but I do what people that work at Universal on Galactica told me. The only one with any memory problems to mention was Peter Berkos. Those didn't claim memory problems still said they used the Senn. I have their phones numbers, and would be glad to call and follow up your reply to the ALL INVOLVED comment.
You will need to contact Mr. Dave Tompkins author of the book How to Wreck a Nice Beach. I had some email conversations with him and he told me that all involved (except Mr. Peter Berkos, whose memory is fading) said that he misremembered about the Sennheiser Vocoder VSM201 used for the Cylon voices and that it was IN FACT the EMS Vocoder 2000 they used! Mr. Tompkins IS one of the world's LEADING AUTHORITIES on vocoders and IF he says it's the EMS 2000 and NOT the Sennheiser...then the EMS 2000 IT IS! The Sennheiser was probably used for Muffet and some other sound-effects like the Vipers leaving the launch pad.

Anyway can you please point me towards those "better" recordings you have? Thanks! Or post them in this thread if you would be so kind.

GoldCylon
Founder

Post by GoldCylon » Fri Sep 21, 2012 8:17 pm

VoiceEncoder wrote:You will need to contact Mr. Dave Tompkins author of the book How to Wreck a Nice Beach. I had some email conversations with him and he told me that all involved (except Mr. Peter Berkos, whose memory is fading) said that he misremembered about the Sennheiser Vocoder VSM201 used for the Cylon voices and that it was IN FACT the EMS Vocoder 2000 they used! Mr. Tompkins IS one of the world's LEADING AUTHORITIES on vocoders and IF he says it's the EMS 2000 and NOT the Sennheiser...then the EMS 2000 IT IS! The Sennheiser was probably used for Muffet and some other sound-effects like the Vipers leaving the launch pad.

Anyway can you please point me towards those "better" recordings you have? Thanks! Or post them in this thread if you would be so kind.

Janec
Spare Parts

Post by Janec » Fri Apr 05, 2013 8:21 am

The Secret Signal of Excitation.
In search of the Cylon Centurion voice

When Galactica first came out in 1978 I was 7 years old. I followed and loved every episode. Especially when the gold and silver robots came up the screen blabbing about ending the human race.

With the same amount of energy as the Cylons had in their journey to end the human race I wanted to start my journey to unveil the secret of the Cylon Centurion voices.

Beware of narration with Dutch accent! ;-) Thank you for watching.

Download the movies narration text here:
http://www.jaccie.com/downloads/The_Sec ... tation.pdf

GoldCylon
Founder

Post by GoldCylon » Fri Apr 05, 2013 11:47 am

Janec first welcome to the board. Second that was a very well done presentation. You clearly did your research, and do have the back ground that helped guided you. I see my name, and this web site all over the video. Thank you. In my interview with Peter some 6+ years ago I wish I had a audio back ground to ask those correctly needed question to help out. Although I am not a audio tech at all or even take any claim to having idea how these devices work the owners manuel Mr Berkos sent me was that of the "sennheiser vocoder". Now I have heard results from the "sennheiser vocoder" and it didn't have the correct Cylon voice sound, but inside the manual were pictures of ships from the Galactica rag tag fleet. Could the "sennheiser vocoder" been used to create those ship sounds? Also as I have stated in previous posting and not sure if it was in the audio interview Peter claimed his memory on those details from back in 78 had mostly faded, but he was very sure that the "sennheiser vocoder" was the key piece of equipment used. Could it been in the chain of equipment line along with the EMS. I will say the 2nd of the 3 sound files of the Gary Owen interview sounded the best. When you added the Cylon eye scanned it seemed like it lost some of its luster. Over all very well done. Great work. :byyourcommand:

Big Al
Command Centurion

Post by Big Al » Fri Apr 05, 2013 2:10 pm

Wow that was great!......on the very end......the first example of Gary Owens as a Cylon before the eye worble...to me sounded dead on as the cylon voice....the final with the eye worble had more of the inflection of owens voice and was more recognizable as Gary Owens........I liked the first cut without the eye worble better .....it was more authentic as a cylon.
:byyourcommand:
By Your Command

Red Eye
Cylon Empire VIP & BYC.net Gallery Admin

Post by Red Eye » Fri Apr 05, 2013 3:05 pm

Very well researched! Thank you for sharing.
"There can be no survivors. So long as one human remains alive the Alliance is threatened."

Cylon-Knight
Site Administrator

Post by Cylon-Knight » Fri Apr 05, 2013 8:25 pm

WOW! Amazing work, Janec! And welcome to the site.
Your research is hands down, the best and most dedicated in the world to date on the Cylon voice... BRAVO!

Can't wait to see more. :)
"All Baseships are now in range to attack the Colonies."

goldcylon1
First Centurion

Post by goldcylon1 » Mon Apr 15, 2013 11:39 am

Very awesome and very 1978 ! :cylongold:
Goldcylon@cox.net

Brutalmagic
Phalanx Leader

Post by Brutalmagic » Tue Apr 16, 2013 1:16 pm

:salute:
Someone has done there homework.
Welcome to the boards.
:salute:

VoiceEncoder
Spare Parts

Post by VoiceEncoder » Wed Apr 24, 2013 4:25 am

Janec wrote:

The Secret Signal of Excitation.
In search of the Cylon Centurion voice

When Galactica first came out in 1978 I was 7 years old. I followed and loved every episode. Especially when the gold and silver robots came up the screen blabbing about ending the human race.

With the same amount of energy as the Cylons had in their journey to end the human race I wanted to start my journey to unveil the secret of the Cylon Centurion voices.

Beware of narration with Dutch accent! ;-) Thank you for watching.

Download the movies narration text here:
http://www.jaccie.com/downloads/The_Sec ... tation.pdf
Hi Janec, thank you for your most superb video on the Cylon voice! And for further confirming what I've been telling people for years and that is that the vocoder used was the EMS Vocoder 2000W Mk1 and NOT the Sennheiser Vocoder VSM201 that so many (including myself at one point; but I originally thought it was the Bode 7702 Vocoder) erroneously believed was.

VoiceEncoder
Spare Parts

Post by VoiceEncoder » Wed Apr 24, 2013 4:44 am

Don't forget folks that it was I that told Janec (aka Cylon Centurion on YouTube?), you and others that the vocoder used was the EMS Vocoder 2000 and NOT the Sennheiser Vocoder VSM201. I never let anyone here or elsewhere deter or change my view since I knew I was right and this along with Dave Tompkins in his book 'How to Wreck a Nice Beach' further proves me right. :cylon: :cylongold: :byyourcommand: :frak:

VoiceEncoder
Spare Parts

Post by VoiceEncoder » Thu May 09, 2013 6:43 am

THIS...byyourcommand.net/cylongallery/thumbnails.php?album=306 IS the BEST page here!!! According to it Mr. Peter Berkos (finally) admits that it was indeed the EMS Vocoder 2000!! :frak: :byyourcommand:

Return to “Centurion Builders' Forum”