Taking note on the 1st build concept Cylon

This is a help forum to build your classic series props and costumes.
GoldCylon
Founder

Taking note on the 1st build concept Cylon

Post by GoldCylon » Sun May 16, 2010 9:44 pm

I was reviewing Andrew Probert's 1st Cylon build. I am sure it is a photo many, if not all have seen many times, and I guess I never really looked past what the item up front is. A boot in short, but then taking a good look at it I just noticed a few item. One is the square cut out of the lower arm armor where in the final version it is a round hole to place the never used laser nozzle. See red arrow. Then I took notice how perfectly round the bicep rings are. They were to small to wear, so did you ever notice the bicep pieces really don't line up very well even on my original they have just odd tweak to them. I think that when the run was made to make these guys that a extra piece of wood or plastic of what ever was just placed under 1 half of the bicep so it would fit the guys in the suit. The down side is that it never was fix, just left as is. I think the original concept piece looks nice, and not realistic.
Attachments
Andrew Concept Cylon build.jpg

Cylon-Knight
Site Administrator

Re: Taking note on the 1st build concept Cylon

Post by Cylon-Knight » Sun May 16, 2010 11:45 pm

Yeah the squre hole matches the design art, more angles than the circle that saw screen use...

Looks like there was a red light maybe there too? near the nozzle. Maybe a lazer target light... cool.
Also in the art is the round bicep armor - the prototype armor just need the logo put on it ;) :cylon:
"All Baseships are now in range to attack the Colonies."

GoldCylon
Founder

Post by GoldCylon » Sun May 16, 2010 11:56 pm

I wonder if it was a cost cutting corner item to by pass cutting a square out, and then inserting a box, and then tip. I like the idea of the laser light sight, but like the decision to forgo using that was it didn't look as dangers as a weapon being aimed at you compared to a extended arm.

Cylon-Knight
Site Administrator

Post by Cylon-Knight » Mon May 17, 2010 8:36 am

Yeah, I am sure it was cost. I think a lot of "the plans" for the Centurion fell to the side due to cost. The left arm armor also had many more designs that would have taken more work.

Looks more like Star Trek: The Next Generation than BSG... doesn't it?? Much more effort than what the screen used left arm armor wound up being... just a bump with a sticker!

It is pretty cool that RDM's newBSG Cylons DID have the gun in the arm. I think it makes sense for a robot to have that.
"All Baseships are now in range to attack the Colonies."

Return to “Classic Battlestar Props and Costumes”