Decades later weapons cach found at Universal

This is a help forum to build your classic series props and costumes.
GoldCylon
Founder

Re: Decades later weapons cach found at Universal

Post by GoldCylon » Thu May 13, 2010 8:02 pm

137th...... Well said, and enough said and thanks to all that sounded off keeping it level headed.

Cylon-Knight
Site Administrator

Post by Cylon-Knight » Thu May 13, 2010 8:21 pm

I still hate celery :twisted:

:byyourcommand:
"All Baseships are now in range to attack the Colonies."

137th Gebirg
Flight Leader

Post by 137th Gebirg » Thu May 13, 2010 8:38 pm

Cylon-Knight wrote:I still hate celery :twisted:

:byyourcommand:
Me too.

Asian celery isn't bad, though. :)
I may appear unoccupied to you, but at the molecular level, I'm really quite busy.

goldcylon1
First Centurion

Post by goldcylon1 » Thu May 13, 2010 11:02 pm

137th Gebirg wrote: Had an '81 myself for a few years and it was the worst mistake I ever made. Never again...

:huh: For buying it or for selling it??? :cylongold:
Goldcylon@cox.net

Reaper63
Patrol Member

Post by Reaper63 » Fri May 14, 2010 9:07 am

ok, I gotta say it,

Is it just me or does the Proteus Guard rifles look better then the Actual Colonial Rifles or what? I don't know what they were thinking when they designed both props, and then and put the big 2x4 looking things in the hands of the modern Colonials.

GREAT find there, and I do like the Eastern Alliance rifles. Loved it in Buck Rogers too. Very nice design :)
Reaper
Strike Captain Edan
Blackstar Squadron

Cylon-Knight
Site Administrator

Post by Cylon-Knight » Fri May 14, 2010 10:11 am

I wonder why the one Cylon Rifle has some "mods" to it... was it used in another show/ride/movie/whatever?

goldcylon1
First Centurion

Post by goldcylon1 » Fri May 14, 2010 11:41 am

Cylon-Knight wrote:I wonder why the one Cylon Rifle has some "mods" to it... was it used in another show/ride/movie/whatever?
Gernade launcher ? Looks almost like it was modified to shoot a rope harpoon for another show ?
:angel:
Goldcylon@cox.net

137th Gebirg
Flight Leader

Post by 137th Gebirg » Sat May 15, 2010 12:29 pm

goldcylon1 wrote:
137th Gebirg wrote: Had an '81 myself for a few years and it was the worst mistake I ever made. Never again...

:huh: For buying it or for selling it??? :cylongold:
For buying it. It was always a dream car of mine and I finally bought one for myself for my 30th birthday. Let's just say it wasn't one of the smartest moves I ever made. At the risk of hijacking the thread again...

I owned the '81 DMC-12 for about 4 years. It spent more time in my mechanic's garage and on a flatbed than it did on the highway. I actually think my mechanic put more road miles on it than I did after I spent about $9000 getting it running. It was an automatic (very rare) with a dealership-option red paint job, which I spent an inordinate amount of time stripping to get it to its correct stainless look. During the time I had it, I discovered that the almost-all-rubber fuel line had dry rotted and started leaking, there was a short in the electric fuel pump switch, and apparently an undocumented engine fire melted most of the plastic heat-actuated valves. On top of that, having been built in Ireland, subsidized by the British Government, the electrical system was aluminum wiring with really cheap insulation, which was also dry-rotting pretty bad. All fixed, and eventually sold (cutting my losses), but at tremendous personal expense and time. In retrospect, it simply wasn't worth it.
:frak:

Despite all these problems, I still have a warm spot for the old girl. After 4 years and too much money spent, I finally sold it for a little over half what I bought it for and put into it combined. Last I heard, it's somewhere up in northern New Jersey now.

Back to the Future tidbits:
I think the folks that thought up the 88 MPH thing had a twisted sense of humor. The Peugeot-Renault-Volvo 2.85L V6 (a.k.a. PRV6) which generally dyno'ed at around 100 HP. Similar to the Volvo B28F 2.8L "F" type, it was an extremely underpowered engine for its application, particularly with John Z. DeLorean's desire to compete with Porsche and other exotics of the era. One of its main weaknesses was an equally underpowered and frequently failing French-made Ducellier alternator (w/ only an 80 amp output). It handled well and looked like it could go 200MPH standing still, but in truth, after all the work was done, it started shaking terribly after I got it up to around 60. It accelerated like a Yugo. Yes, there was an OEM turbo system you could install on top (removing ANY possibility of future engine work - the engine compartment being so small - it used up all remaining available space under the lid) which would buy you an additional 27 or so HP. Mine, being an automatic, robbed even more HP from the baseline (~89 HP).

Sources:
http://www.dmcnews.com/faq/faq.htm
http://www.dmcnews.com/Resource/horsepower.html

So, at the end of the day, unless the BTTF DeLorean was upgraded with the 4.5L engine (giving you a WHOPPIN' 165 HP), chances of hitting 88MPH on a stock DMC-12 is slim-to-none - at least, in my experience.

Other nifty facts:

* When the DeLorean failed on Marty in the first movie (an accurately depicted event), he slams his head on the steering wheel, which restarts the car. You hear a little horn "beep" when this happens. Not so accurate. Because that portion of the vehicle was, IIRC, designed by Renault, the car horn was NOT in the steering wheel, but in the TURN SIGNAL handle, by pressing in on the plastic handle cap.
* Also in the first movie, when the DeLorean pulls out of the rear of the trailer and drives around, it sounds like it has at least a small-block V8 running in it with a rather impressive sound. I have only ever heard of one conversion of a Delorean to support a Cadillac NorthStar V8 down in Texas somewhere, which involved some MASSIVE modifications to the rear of the car. An engine that size would not have allowed enbough space for all the additional time-travel greebles in the back that were sitting on top of the engine compartment. The impressive V8 sound effects were gaffed in during post production. The DeLoreans used in the movies all had stock V6's.
* In the third movie, the Indian arrow that pierced the gas line/tank in the rear would never have killed a real DeLorean. The gas tank is in front of the car under the luggage compartment and the fuel line goes nowhere near where the arrow went into the body.
* Also in the movie, Doc says he "put gas in the tank". This is 1955. Unleaded gas didn't exist then. The DeLorean was built from 1981 - 1983 and only runs on unleaded gas. Cars built in the 70's and before can take unleaded gas, but not the other way around. Leaded gas will contaminate the catalytic converter and make it useless, throwing the whole exhaust system, particularly the O2 sensors and ECM computers off kelter, which could cause the vehicle to eventually stop functioning.
* The doors don't make the mechanical whirring noises when they open or close. They are supported by a NASA-designed-and-built titanium torsion bar coupled with a standard hydraulic gas piston.

The moral of the story:
At the end of the day, don't ever buy a car that was built in Ireland, where the factory had two sets of doors - one for Catholics and one for Protestants. Generally not considered an effective recipe for success.

:ugh:
I may appear unoccupied to you, but at the molecular level, I'm really quite busy.

Cylon-Knight
Site Administrator

Post by Cylon-Knight » Sat May 15, 2010 1:04 pm

GREAT SCOTT, MARTY.... CYLONS!!! :twisted:

GoldCylon
Founder

Post by GoldCylon » Sat May 15, 2010 6:49 pm

That is very interesting tidbit information. I think I had heard some of it, but forgot about it. Also on a side note seems like we have a DeLorean following here on this site. I can say 3 members are present, or past owners of that classic car.

137th Gebirg
Flight Leader

Post by 137th Gebirg » Sat May 15, 2010 9:21 pm

Here are a few pics I took before I sold it.
Attachments
interior3.jpg
interior2.jpg
interior1.jpg

137th Gebirg
Flight Leader

Post by 137th Gebirg » Sat May 15, 2010 9:23 pm

Some more...
Attachments
main4.jpg
main3.jpg
main2.jpg

137th Gebirg
Flight Leader

Post by 137th Gebirg » Sat May 15, 2010 9:24 pm

A few more...
Attachments
engine.jpg
main6.jpg
main5.jpg

GoldCylon
Founder

Post by GoldCylon » Sat May 15, 2010 9:25 pm

Looks good enough for me, except it is missing all the time machine feature upgrades. No worries I am sure an other BTTF fan will help resolve that problem.

137th Gebirg
Flight Leader

Post by 137th Gebirg » Sat May 15, 2010 9:30 pm

Heh...if I had a nickel for all the times I had people come up to me out of the blue and ask me where my flux capacitor was I would have made enough money to offset the loss in the sale. Seriously... :D

Return to “Classic Battlestar Props and Costumes”