Mattel Cylon voice control helmet

Discussions about the 1978 TV & Movie series.
goldcylon1
First Centurion

Re: Mattel Cylon voice control helmet

Post by goldcylon1 » Sun May 02, 2010 9:51 pm

GoldCylon wrote:Well the prototype Mattel Galactica came out of the wood works about 4-5 years ago. I bet the same will happen someday if the helmet is still alive.
When and where I must have missed that one. :frak:

Goldcylon@cox.net

GoldCylon
Founder

Post by GoldCylon » Sun May 02, 2010 10:21 pm

goldcylon1 wrote:
GoldCylon wrote:Well the prototype Mattel Galactica came out of the wood works about 4-5 years ago. I bet the same will happen someday if the helmet is still alive.
I was just scanning old files to find the posting of it from eBay, and if I recall correctly it sold for about $6K or so. Here is an off site catalog image of what it was http://www.plaidstallions.com/mattel79/battlestar.html.
The entire concept piece was sold, including the box. A personal collector friend bought it. It is his prized piece.

goldcylon1
First Centurion

Post by goldcylon1 » Mon May 03, 2010 7:34 am

GoldCylon wrote:
goldcylon1 wrote:
I was just scanning old files to find the posting of it from eBay, and if I recall correctly it sold for about $6K or so. Here is an off site catalog image of what it was http://www.plaidstallions.com/mattel79/battlestar.html.
The entire concept piece was sold, including the box. A personal collector friend bought it. It is his prized piece.

Very cool I had every toy on that list at one time except for that glactica. Still have the remote contol raider and the electronic hand held game. I knew it had to be out there somewhere. Thanks for sharing Dale.
Goldcylon@cox.net

GoldCylon
Founder

Post by GoldCylon » Mon May 03, 2010 9:40 pm

The catalog showed up today, and here are the scans of the helmet. The Mattel catalog suggested listed price was $11.90, and it weighted in a 3 lbs, and worked off a 9 volt battery not included.
Attachments
Mattel Cylon concept helmet.jpg

Red Eye
Cylon Empire VIP & BYC.net Gallery Admin

Post by Red Eye » Tue May 04, 2010 1:41 am

Great, thank you!
"There can be no survivors. So long as one human remains alive the Alliance is threatened."

goldcylon1
First Centurion

Post by goldcylon1 » Tue May 04, 2010 8:41 am

GoldCylon wrote:The catalog showed up today, and here are the scans of the helmet. The Mattel catalog suggested listed price was $11.90, and it weighted in a 3 lbs, and worked off a 9 volt battery not included.

Reminds me of the Cylon head radio somewhat
Goldcylon@cox.net

GoldCylon
Founder

Post by GoldCylon » Tue May 04, 2010 9:25 am

goldcylon1 wrote:
GoldCylon wrote:The catalog showed up today, and here are the scans of the helmet. The Mattel catalog suggested listed price was $11.90, and it weighted in a 3 lbs, and worked off a 9 volt battery not included.

To tell you the true the detail of the helmet is very dead on to the real deal. Uni might have let Mattel use a real screen used helmet to make the Mattel version like Uni let Monogram use a Raider and I think Viper to study, and or copy.

goldcylon1
First Centurion

Post by goldcylon1 » Thu May 06, 2010 9:58 am

GoldCylon wrote:
goldcylon1 wrote:

To tell you the true the detail of the helmet is very dead on to the real deal. Uni might have let Mattel use a real screen used helmet to make the Mattel version like Uni let Monogram use a Raider and I think Viper to study, and or copy.

Hell I hope so Dale the radio is small lol. Would be nice to have a peek at the real deal :angel:
Goldcylon@cox.net

Galactifan
Flight Leader

Post by Galactifan » Fri May 07, 2010 12:59 am

Hmmmm......I wonder what this toy voice changer would have sounded like if it was ever produced? Pretty cool stuff.

GoldCylon
Founder

Post by GoldCylon » Fri May 07, 2010 9:17 am

Galactifan wrote:Hmmmm......I wonder what this toy voice changer would have sounded like if it was ever produced? Pretty cool stuff.
I was wondering the same thing, how did it sound, but a wild guess....haha...just a late 70's electronic robot sound, and nothing like a Cylon.

Cylon-Knight
Site Administrator

Post by Cylon-Knight » Fri May 07, 2010 9:20 am

I wonder if they had another toy that did a voice changer at that time. Probably they'd use the same "guts" and just pop it in a Cylon shaped helemet. I guess it was pulled when the show was cut?! But then Galactica 1980 came out. You'd think they would have made it. *rats*
"All Baseships are now in range to attack the Colonies."

GoldCylon
Founder

Post by GoldCylon » Fri May 07, 2010 9:27 am

The feedback from the retailers that the price was too high for the 79 price arena. Retailers felt that the consumer was going broke buying up Star Wars toys, and the high priced Galactica items would stay on the shelf.

Cylon-Knight
Site Administrator

Post by Cylon-Knight » Fri May 07, 2010 9:30 am

Nah, Star Wars for Christmas... Galactica for my Birthday. A January B-Day is handy ;)
"All Baseships are now in range to attack the Colonies."

goldcylon1
First Centurion

Post by goldcylon1 » Fri May 07, 2010 9:52 am

GoldCylon wrote:
Galactifan wrote:Hmmmm......I wonder what this toy voice changer would have sounded like if it was ever produced? Pretty cool stuff.
I was wondering the same thing, how did it sound, but a wild guess....haha...just a late 70's electronic robot sound, and nothing like a Cylon.
That would be my guess as well. Remember this was the era of handheld red led games ;)
Goldcylon@cox.net

Swhite228
Centurion

Post by Swhite228 » Tue May 03, 2011 11:16 am

I found this while doing a search for Star Trek patents.
I have the pdf of both.
1.jpg
2.jpg
3.jpg
4.jpg
5.jpg
6.jpg
7.jpg
8.jpg
9.jpg
Last edited by Swhite228 on Tue May 03, 2011 11:31 am, edited 3 times in total.

Return to “1978 TV Series”