Tejanovader's Build

The models you built, and studio scaled miniatures
tejanovader
Phalanx Leader

Re: Tejanovader's Build

Post by tejanovader » Sat May 01, 2010 1:59 pm

:cylon: The only thing I can recall is that the mini series' scene of the gift shop had a beautiful base star something.

Having fun with my two builds; the base star and raider. Here is a pic of the painting selections I have made for the raider. Pictured is the top. I have discovered the joy of weathering powders. Blue was used here with the intent of subtly highligting surface details. There is use of yellow powder on the engine intakes, along with actual metal mesh from a tea filter for a realistic effect. Accurate? I don't really know. But I like it.

Use of both TESTORS light and dark air craft greys are used. To be specific: Primer coat under a Light Air craft grey base, with patches of Dark Air Craft grey intersperced along the top. A light application of gun ship grey is applied to the cockpit center part of the raider. Blue powder is applied to the boxes and various other sections. A "misting" of light air craft grey softening everything finishes it off.

The propulsion units are flat black with gun ship gray highlights.

I hope this does the cylon nation proud... . :cylon:
Attachments
FILE0952.JPG

tejanovader
Phalanx Leader

Post by tejanovader » Sat May 01, 2010 2:03 pm

:cylon: I thought color differences would be more drastic. To me, after the last application of the light air craft grey, it looks true to the "cylon lack of imagination in painting of our war craft" look with a little variety.....

Cylon-Knight
Site Administrator

Post by Cylon-Knight » Sat May 01, 2010 2:22 pm

Looking GREAT! Can't wait to see more. :)
"All Baseships are now in range to attack the Colonies."

GoldCylon
Founder

Post by GoldCylon » Sat May 01, 2010 2:23 pm

Awesome build, and I like the details you have given like the tea mesh, but no photo :sad: Can't wait to see the finished product. Good work on this build.

tejanovader
Phalanx Leader

Post by tejanovader » Sat May 01, 2010 4:07 pm

:cylon: It is very encouraging to hear your feedback, guys. Thanks. I will try to get a decent pic of the mesh and also of the Raider's underside. The same techniques were applied to it as well. There are a few extra details in the propulsion area I want to paint.

For the base star, I am working on a combination of dark air craft grey and gun ship grey. For subtle details, I am going back to the hobby shop to get some black colored powder.

Again, thanks. Tejanovader. :cylon:

dbhs
Raider Commander

Post by dbhs » Wed May 05, 2010 4:56 pm

Looking good. I'd like to see how you've incorporated the metal mesh. I did some mods on mine. This is a great kit to embelish with little details and add character. Fun to personalize it a bit.

tejanovader
Phalanx Leader

Post by tejanovader » Sat May 15, 2010 12:48 pm

:cylon: I want a better camera before I post any more pics.....ha ha hhaa.....

Seriously, I have been caught up in work related matters and have a little breathing time to report that I went to radio shack today to investigate the lighting with LED's. Apparently, there are JUMBO BLUES which look like they might fit the bill, but I still have some investigating to do.

GATHERING OPINIONS - Regarding lighting for the RAIDER, there is the lighting for the propulsion units, and I take it the only other lighting would be for the "guns" (red/orange color?) under the cock pit?

The reason I ask is I have thought seriously about casting the part under the cockpit in clear resin, and painting over the non lighted parts. Does this sound reasonable to any experts out there?

Thanks. :cylon:

Cylon-Knight
Site Administrator

Post by Cylon-Knight » Sat May 15, 2010 1:06 pm

I don't think the yellow/orange lights up front are guns... but marker lights. Just some added bling.
And as far I have seen, yes, only lights on a Raider exterior are the engines and the front markers.

GoldCylon
Founder

Post by GoldCylon » Sat May 15, 2010 6:52 pm

When I built my Cylon Raider back in 78 I drilled out small holes in the grill area, and placed red LED's in the hole. Look good enough for me.

tejanovader
Phalanx Leader

Post by tejanovader » Sat Jan 15, 2011 6:41 pm

After a long haitus, hello again. I have been unable to continue the build for awhile, but now I have a dedicated area for a modelling studio. Tonight, I am applying the decals to my raider.

Cylon-Knight
Site Administrator

Post by Cylon-Knight » Sat Jan 15, 2011 7:03 pm

Good news! Looking forward to new photos of the build soon.

GoldCylon
Founder

Post by GoldCylon » Sat Jan 15, 2011 7:14 pm

tejanovader wrote:After a long haitus, hello again. I have been unable to continue the build for awhile, but now I have a dedicated area for a modelling studio. Tonight, I am applying the decals to my raider.

WooHoo :cylongold:

Red Eye
Cylon Empire VIP & BYC.net Gallery Admin

Post by Red Eye » Sun Jan 16, 2011 4:15 am

Hurry up! We need more Raiders for the Atlantia Death Squadron!!! :wink:
"There can be no survivors. So long as one human remains alive the Alliance is threatened."

tejanovader
Phalanx Leader

Post by tejanovader » Mon Jan 17, 2011 4:04 pm

:cylon:
What better way to celebrate MLK than to have a hot cup of coffee while building miniatures of robotic controlled warcraft bent on the total annihilation of mankind? I am moving slowly on this build because my firm belief for both the raider and the basestar is that it is easy to think they are easy to build. After all, there are, by comparison, relatively few parts and the parts look very detailed. However, the time spent is in engineering and executing both the lighting effects and coloring with realistism and believability.

I spent most of my last modelling session working on the top of the raider. I haven't looked around or asked much, but I would think everyone else hates the decals provided in the kit. Other than the Cylon logo and plaque decal, I find no use for these decals whatsoever! I did cut the top side decals so I could outline them with a mechanical pencil on the raider itself and simply preped and painted black on the model. Much more satisfying.

I am also a big fan of "Weather System" rust and weathering kits. The owner of my local HOBBYTOWN store turned me on to it and I just love it. It is an extrememly fine powder that I beleive can do a better job than airbrushing weathered effects on the hull. If you want to check it out, the web site is http://www.bragdonent.com. Weathering colors range from blue to yellow to rust to pitch black soot.

I hope you enjoy the pics. :cylon:
New Raider Pic.jpg
New Raider Pic 2.jpg
New Raider Pic 3.jpg
New Raider Pic 4.jpg
New Raider Pic 5.jpg

Cylon-Knight
Site Administrator

Post by Cylon-Knight » Tue Jan 18, 2011 9:30 am

AWESOME Paint! ... But where is the bottom half of your ship!? :shock: lol