Hi from the UK

Tell us about yourself. Post about yourself, your collection, builds or what you hope to collect, build.
stranger
Citizen

Hi from the UK

Post by stranger » Sat Mar 06, 2010 12:53 pm

Hi there,

I am from the UK, I have been a Cylon fan since Battlestar first came on our UK TV's in the late 70's.

I do own a Cylon outfit that I constructed myself in fibreglass, I work in an industry that lets say makes me be in the position to make just about anything I want.

I am also a great fan of papercraft, and have created a number of items using this technology which I then fibreglass up from cylon rifles, ghostbuster proton packs to logan's run movie props...... I am working on the new version of a cyberman and also I am looking as making a 1:1 scale new version cylon centurian, plus many others 1:1 items such as 1:1 evil robot from the movie the black hole... maximillion.... a droidika. other weapons I am working on are 1:1 scale black hole hand pistol, colonial blaster.

Here are a couple of pictures of some of the items I have done todate.
I am willing to share what ever I create with members of this forum for free, I just need you to give me a e-mail address to send them to.

My cylon rifle 1:1
Half constructed Proton pack 1:1
Logan's run gun and tracker 1:1
Droideka 1:1 scale.... not completed yet
I hope you like what you see and it is nice to meet other fellow cylons :salute:

GoldCylon
Founder

Re: Hi from the UK

Post by GoldCylon » Sat Mar 06, 2010 1:14 pm

That is some fantastic work. I like all these guys, and Logan's Run Sandman weapon is great. I don't think I have notice one else where before. Thanks.

Red Eye
Cylon Empire VIP & BYC.net Gallery Admin

Post by Red Eye » Sat Mar 06, 2010 3:11 pm

Welcome aboard, stranger!

Great work you've done so far...

Being a big fan of "The Black Hole" myself, it's very interesting to hear that you're working on a full-sized version of Maximillian... please share your work you've done on him as well if you like... I could also provide some reference pictures of Max in case you need them...

I also own the original Sentry Robot plaster mold which were used to make the helmets and chestplates... but unfortunately, it arrived in terrible condition from its long journey from the U.S. to Germany so it's still in restoration... I'll certainly post a few pictures of it as soon as I've got it back...
"There can be no survivors. So long as one human remains alive the Alliance is threatened."

GoldCylon
Founder

Post by GoldCylon » Sat Mar 06, 2010 3:16 pm

I just opened up my DVD of the Black Hole I bought about 5 years ago, and watched it 2 weeks ago. It was great to see that old Disney movie again.

Red Eye

Post by Red Eye » Sat Mar 06, 2010 3:41 pm

Yes, indeed... in my opinion, it's a great movie even for todays standards...

I really like the designs and the awesome SFX... its dark and violent atmosphere might be a little unusual for being a Disney-movie but that could be the reason why nobody at Disney really cared about it and pays the attention it deserves...

It seems even stranger that Disney announced a remake of "The Black Hole"... I'm curious of how it will look like if they're going to greenlight it anyway...
"There can be no survivors. So long as one human remains alive the Alliance is threatened."

Cylon-Knight
Site Administrator

Post by Cylon-Knight » Sat Mar 06, 2010 5:41 pm

I'm up for a remake - and I love the old one. I watch it back to back some nites :)

WHEN I get to making my own parts and what not, I'm going to make a 1:1 V.I.N.CENT. That'll rock the house big time! :twisted:

Awesome stuff stranger - looking forward to photos of your creations.
"All Baseships are now in range to attack the Colonies."

stranger
Citizen

Post by stranger » Sun Mar 07, 2010 7:24 am

Well for all you Blackhole fans out there, here are a couple of pictures of 2 items I have done so far.

First picture is the sentry robot guards hand blasters, I will have this ready for uploading in the next few weeks... yes it will be 1:1 scale.... all my files will be in PDO format so you will need the viewer above to guide you in assembling the items as I do not have the time to create assembly instructions due to work load and a huge back log of other items people have requested me to create.
I also have a huge stock of models created by others that are in to papercraft which they have uploaded kindly for free distribution.... there are a lot of battlestar models, infact you can create the whole fleet if you are brave enough :smile: if you are interested in something just ask me first as I may already have it, but please respect their model ownerships.

I am willing to share what ever I have for free, some of the other models come with full assembly instructions and in both PDO and PDF formats.

Maxamillion created in 3D, I just need to break him down in to easy to explode parts, which I can then make 1:1 scale model or smaller models for those wishing for that type.

A sample of some of the other models out there, here is a 3foot galactica, not created by me, but I have the models on my pc.

GoldCylon
Founder

Post by GoldCylon » Sun Mar 07, 2010 10:36 am

Are you able to use images and merge then together to create a new original file?

Red Eye

Post by Red Eye » Sun Mar 07, 2010 11:42 am

Wow... more great work!

I like it very much! :wink:

stranger
Citizen

Post by stranger » Sun Mar 07, 2010 2:21 pm

Hi GoldCylon,

I do not understand what you mean ??? everything is created using 3D software, thats why it takes so long to produce an item. First the item is built and then if it is complex, it is broken down in to smaller components to make it easier to explode pepakura designer. The seperate parts can be imported into pepakura designer to give the finished item and the scale set to whatever size you want it. :wink:

Ho on another note, a bit of news, we have Dirk Benedict in my home town, here is the local press link :

http://www.worcesternews.co.uk/news/503 ... ce_before/
:grin:

GoldCylon
Founder

Post by GoldCylon » Sun Mar 07, 2010 2:39 pm

stranger wrote:Hi GoldCylon,

I do not understand what you mean ??? everything is created using 3D software, thats why it takes so long to produce an item. First the item is built and then if it is complex, it is broken down in to smaller components to make it easier to explode pepakura designer. The seperate parts can be imported into pepakura designer to give the finished item and the scale set to whatever size you want it. :wink:
What I mean on merging two items in simple form you be take a circle, and a square and merge them into a single new object that would be a octagon. Can anything like that be done?

stranger
Citizen

Post by stranger » Sun Mar 07, 2010 3:05 pm

Yes.... once you have loaded the items into the 3D software you can merge items and render it, I use metasequioa 3D which is a free 3d program to design from.

GoldCylon
Founder

Post by GoldCylon » Sun Mar 07, 2010 4:37 pm

stranger wrote:Yes.... once you have loaded the items into the 3D software you can merge items and render it, I use metasequioa 3D which is a free 3d program to design from.
I have very limited use of any 3D programs, but did see the tab name in your photos I researched it and did see it was a free shareware program. I did download it, but haven't installed it yet. I have other things I am busy on today, but maybe tonight, but a quick question it looks like you import images (photos) and work off those files to make the 3D file?

Cylon-Knight
Site Administrator

Post by Cylon-Knight » Sun Mar 07, 2010 4:38 pm

So stranger, this is the basic process (to sum it WAY up).
1. Model in Metasequioa
2. Pepakura reads in Metasequioa file and converts it into exploded parts to print to paper
3. Totally Awesome

? Right ?

And I LOVE Logans Run too. You, like me and Red Eye, have great taste in SciFi. :twisted:
"All Baseships are now in range to attack the Colonies."

stranger
Citizen

Post by stranger » Mon Mar 08, 2010 6:01 am

That is right in a nut shell Cylon-Knight :)

Like the maxamillian model, once created it is to big for Pepakura to either handle as it does get upset with large items, even if it does load, the exploded parts will take a long time to tidy up. Pepakura does do enough of a job exploding items , but it can take many more hours to make the lay out in to a easier to re assemble model as designer allows to you edit and move parts around.

Yes I do have a very broad taste in Sci fi, I have been a great fan for most of my 50 year life :grin: I have always love Cylons and even build a very basic costume in fibreglass back in 1981 I have many items in my studio workshop from many different shows and films, which is one of the reasons I ended up in the special effects industry for the last 20 odd years :grin:

Return to “Say Hi”