Corrtect boot painting method

Tips, tricks, inside secrets, help, sources, items used on making the Cylon Centurion suit to wear. Tell us your story, how you came about collecting your parts to a Centurion, or if you own a complete Centurion costume.
Mardikrewe
Patrol Member

Corrtect boot painting method

Post by Mardikrewe » Tue Jun 30, 2009 4:32 pm

Got my new boots today! I was unable to find Georgia's so settled for Carolina's ................ they seem to be almost exact.

Seeing as these could be oil rubbed finish ...... what is the best method for prep work and painting?

I was able to get a cool product (Meltonian / Nu-Life color spray). It was sold to me by the local boot store and is evidently used for renewing or changing a boot color.

The store owner claimed it would work great on new boots but really didn't say much about prep work.

Anyone ever use a product like this before and or idea's?

Thanks in advance!

GoldCylon
Founder

Post by GoldCylon » Tue Jun 30, 2009 5:00 pm

I have only painted a pair of boots once before, and they were a tad bit older, and didn't have the oil protection blocker on the surface of the leather like most newer boots have today. I am sure if the shoe store recommended it they are aware of the problem and this method you purchased must not be effected by it. Takes some photos and lets see how they turn old. PS not all the Cylon boots are the same. They were taped off by eye, not a pattern (jig) so each boot varies a little bit.

Cylon-Knight
Site Administrator

Post by Cylon-Knight » Tue Jun 30, 2009 7:56 pm

So to be "correct" the toe should have the triangle going up it, and the heel silver too... what about the edge around the bottom - that is only the edge right. You wouldn't paint the entire tread silver right (to be screen accurate)?
"All Baseships are now in range to attack the Colonies."

Mr Fett
Phalanx Leader

Post by Mr Fett » Tue Jun 30, 2009 9:14 pm

When I did my boots, I taped a triangle onto them and painted them with Testors Silver model paint. It looks good, but if you touch the silver area, it comes off on your fingers. I did take Dale's advice and hit the areas I was going to paint with sandpaper first, but it still must not of adhered to the leather (or rubber soles) correctly.

nashslash
Flight Leader

Post by nashslash » Wed Jul 01, 2009 12:47 am

when i got my original Krop boot, the painting needed modding. i painted the correct area silver. as many have said the paint rubs off on your fingers and very quickly those clean crisps lines look terrible.

Solution.

i got some clear lacquer. from a car shop and simply spray over the top of the silver to seal it in using the lacquer. also giving the entire boot a blast.. makes them shiny!
www.battlefield-online.net

Mardikrewe
Patrol Member

Post by Mardikrewe » Wed Jul 01, 2009 5:58 am

Okay, have done a good deal of leather painting research.

I too have a strange finish on my boots (older) that when hot, or to the touch is some what sticky. I am told and have read that I used the wrong paint. You need to use an acrillic (misspelled) paint specially "for" leather. Any type of enamel based paint will never dry to the touch completely on leather.

Prep work consists of useing solvents to remove the oil such as:
*Rubbing alcohol. (I'm trying this one)
Denatured alcohol.
Leather bleach?
Then soap and water.

I did see one site that said roughing up the leather helps to absorb. IE: "very" fine sand paper. (trying 400 to 600 grit)

The leather area to be painted needs to be oil free and then will take the special spray I got, which I have read does a great job useing several light coats, bending and flexing inbetween coats. The object .... not to just cover the leather but try and get some spray to absorb.

I will post pictures of progress as I go along this weekend. Still don't know how to post them though.

Just incase I ruin a $120 pair of boots ....... please, no one try my method until I am happy or terribly PO'ed. HeHe

If you give me instructions ......... Based on Kindergarden level comprehension with less then that in computer skill, I might be able to get them posted:).

Mardikrewe
Patrol Member

Boot update

Post by Mardikrewe » Wed Jul 01, 2009 7:50 pm

Results so far have surpassed what I had hoped for!

I used denatured alcohol instead of rubbing ........ perfect finish, rough and ready! It took multiple cleanings to get rid of the oil tanned finish but appears to be worth the effort. It actually left the leather in more of a sanded state and lessened the time.

The special spray, although states is silver, could even be considered chrome, well, you know. It takes right to the boot with no problem and dry's quickly.

I have spent several hours trying to find a tape that would stick well enough to srtipe and paint...................just when I was ready to give up, my wife said "use this office clear tape", I laughed but tried it anyway,
BINGO! Cheap celophane tape sticks quite well although it takes about an entire roll to do just one boot.

More to follow with pic's via Knight, if he does not mind:).

Cylon-Knight
Site Administrator

Post by Cylon-Knight » Wed Jul 01, 2009 8:05 pm

No trouble, send them and I'll post them.

I just paid up for my boots!!! I did it, bought that pair off of eBay that was just up. Cross your hockey glove fingers that they fit me! :lol:
"All Baseships are now in range to attack the Colonies."

Mr Fett
Phalanx Leader

Post by Mr Fett » Sun Jul 19, 2009 11:20 am

Denatured alcohol? I've never heard of that. I've heard of Rubbing alcohol, but not denatured? Where can you pick some up at? Is it a hardware store item, or is it more like the isopropyl alchohol found at pharmacies?

Do you guy think I'd be able to take off my enamel paint from the boots and paint them with the nu-life spray, or do you think using normal acetone or paint thinner to remove them would just smear the enamel silver all over the place and I'd have to redye the boots black and start all over? :lol:

Mardikrewe
Patrol Member

Post by Mardikrewe » Mon Jul 20, 2009 5:15 am

You can find it in most any hardware store ....... got mine at Home Depot for about 6 dollars.

HuMMMMMMM. Taking of the enamel, might be a tricky one. I can't say for sure but you should be able to do it if you are careful not to smear it around too much. I got some when packing the boots away onto the "other" boot and was able to get it off fairly easily.

Maybe start on the heel?

Return to “Centurion Builders' Forum”