Building my Cylon-Knight

Tips, tricks, inside secrets, help, sources, items used on making the Cylon Centurion suit to wear. Tell us your story, how you came about collecting your parts to a Centurion, or if you own a complete Centurion costume.
Red Eye
Cylon Empire VIP & BYC.net Gallery Admin

Post by Red Eye » Wed Jun 24, 2009 10:05 am

Pleased to hear that you've safed enough money to finally buy the rest of the armor, too.

Where are you planning to get it from if you allow the question?

Cylon-Knight
Site Administrator

Post by Cylon-Knight » Wed Jun 24, 2009 11:35 am

GoldCylon: Gloves - large then, I don't think I'd do well with "teen" gloves.

nashslash: R2D2 would a be GREAT item to build, that is a dream project. That takes LOTS of talent, time and money. Maybe Someday I can have a R2D2-Knight ;) - VERY COOL your friend will help you out.

Mr Fett: I'm right there with you - a scanner for $60 I know that is possible. The actual parts are not that expensive... it is the knowledge of what/how to put everything together that is so elusive.

Red Eye: Yes, getting the armor will be so much fun! And I am getting the rest of my suit from the same source as the helmet - C.O.R.A. A great product, and great service! I hope to have a centurion that will be fit for service in your empire, oh illustrious Imperious Leader (costume owner ;))
Last edited by Cylon-Knight on Sat Jun 27, 2009 2:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"All Baseships are now in range to attack the Colonies."

GoldCylon
Founder

Post by GoldCylon » Wed Jun 24, 2009 11:55 am

Cylon-Knight wrote:GoldCylon:

nashslash: R2D2 would a be GREAT item to build, that is a dream project. That takes LOTS of talent, time and money. Maybe Someday I can have a R2D2-Knight ;) - VERY COOL your friend will help you out.
A chromed R2D2 with a Red Eye scanner and ChrisD working some cross over of a Cylon R2D2 sound effects. The Star Wars Galactica cross over has begun. :twisted: :idea:

Cylon-Knight
Site Administrator

Post by Cylon-Knight » Sat Jun 27, 2009 2:00 am

I'll let you know what I find for my scanner Mr Fett

I have a question for all you Centurions out there... I'm trying to fit all my parts together for the helmet - and need to know what to fill around the eye area.

See the area marked with the arrow...
Should the area where the two parts join be filled in and smoothed over to be seamless transition from part to part? OR is the little overlap (not a perfect seam) correct?

Another view just in case:

Red Eye
Cylon Empire VIP & BYC.net Gallery Admin

Post by Red Eye » Sat Jun 27, 2009 9:27 am

Cylon-Knight wrote:GoldCylon: Gloves - large then, I don't think I'd do well with "teen" gloves.

Mr Fett: I'm right there with you - a scanner for $60 I know that is possible. The actual parts are not that expensive... it is the knowledge of what/how to put everything together that is so elusive.

Red Eye: Yes, getting the armor will be so much fun! And I am getting the rest of my suit from the same source as the helmet - C.O.R.A. A great product, and great service! I hope to have a centurion that will be bit for service in your empire, oh illustrious Imperious Leader (costume owner ;))
Permission granted, CylonKnight! You will be the first Centurion I'll affiliate in my army! :lol:

Back to the problem of your helmet: I hope the two close-ups of the Vulpa helmet here will help you solving the problem.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/dklimke/27 ... 2/sizes/o/

http://www.flickr.com/photos/jcolman/33 ... 0/sizes/o/

Cylon-Knight
Site Administrator

Post by Cylon-Knight » Sat Jun 27, 2009 2:12 pm

Thank you for the photos Red Eye - very helpful indeed! I seems I do need to do some filler work so the parts are a bit more seamless.

Cylon-Knight
Site Administrator

Post by Cylon-Knight » Sat Jun 27, 2009 9:39 pm

New question. Has anyone ever put any sort of fan/cooling system into their helmet? I was just thinking it must get a bit hot inside the helmet after some time, what with a full hood, on the under suit.

GoldCylon
Founder

Post by GoldCylon » Sun Jun 28, 2009 9:28 am

I'd just pick of a PC cooling fan from a local PC store, or online. They have a pretty good kick, and they are small, but no I haven't heard of anything made for helmets, but maybe the best place to see if a helmet like fan is out there trying the places that sells motorcycle helmets.

Hand-Schaub
First Centurion

Post by Hand-Schaub » Sun Jun 28, 2009 6:22 pm

Small computer fans are your best bet when it comes to fitting them in the helmet. There are plenty of stormtrooper sites which may help you with installation.

CK - I have fallen in love with a product called 'Magic-sculpt' It is a two part resin which is very similar to those rolls you buy in the hardware store to fix anything from a coffee cup to a radiator. It works great to fill in those gaps, adds strength too! It can be worked with for about an hour or so and will smooth out with tools and water. When dry it is very solid but can still be sanded. I like this better than bondo because it wont crack. I would advice that you don't put it on any parts which need chroming though... I'm not sure if it will receive the chroming (it might - but I'm not sure).

Mr Fett
Phalanx Leader

Post by Mr Fett » Mon Jun 29, 2009 11:26 pm

I put a squirrel cage fan inside the mowhawk of my helmet. It blows air right against my forehead and works great.

Cylon-Knight
Site Administrator

Post by Cylon-Knight » Wed Jul 01, 2009 12:32 pm

Mr Fett - Does that fan run off the same power supply as the rest of your suit's electronics? Or did you set it up as its own system?

Mr Fett
Phalanx Leader

Post by Mr Fett » Fri Jul 03, 2009 1:28 am

That fan works off one 9 volt battery, ran down to my left cheek. My right cheek holds another 9 volt battery for my eye lights. Plus there's another spare 9 volt battery stored inside a section of the mowhawk. They are just all held in place by a piece of sticky back velcro stuck to the plastic of the helmet, and another piece stuck to one side of the battery.

Cylon-Knight
Site Administrator

Post by Cylon-Knight » Sun Jul 05, 2009 10:17 am

Mr Fett:
Where did you get your fan from? I've looked around at a few computer sites, but they mostly sell square fans - that are either just back or light up for a computer case mod. I found mention of one fan that looks great (very small size) from a Stormtrooper site link, but no price?! Link to the fan here.

General question for anyone:
I wear glasses. Does anyone else wear them, and how do you deal with that while wearing your helmet? I was just wondering if anyone has a creative solution for the limited real estate within the helmet vs. your head + scanner. I think everything will fit (eye scanner and my glasses) but it will probably be a tight fit. (I

nashslash
Flight Leader

Post by nashslash » Sun Jul 05, 2009 6:42 pm

Cylon-Knight I wear glasses to, but imagine it would be next to imposable to wear them while wearing you lid (let alone trying to put the lid on while keeping your glasses in place). I wear contact lenses when I troop. I would look at the possibility at getting some contact lenses.
for a fan I use this

battery box with micro switch

http://www.maplin.co.uk/Module.aspx?ModuleNo=36603

and 2 fans in relay.

http://www.maplin.co.uk/Module.aspx?ModuleNo=32006

the box is small enough just to sit inside (attached with velcro for easy removal) the lower jaw space and the fans are fitted by the cheeks. photos to follow
www.battlefield-online.net

Cylon-Knight
Site Administrator

Post by Cylon-Knight » Thu Jul 16, 2009 11:45 pm

Fellow Centurions, I just had Christmas in July ;)
The rest of my armor arrived today!

Cylon-Knight will be a reality :twisted: stay tuned all you "tin cans" photos to follow tomorrow.

Return to “Centurion Builders' Forum”