Work on realtime portable Voice Vocoder

Fan films, sounds, art, wallpaper images - and more. A rag tag fleet of fun.
mckenic
Patrol Member

Work on realtime portable Voice Vocoder

Post by mckenic » Tue Sep 02, 2008 8:39 am

Hi Folks,

Just got my hands on an Alesis Metavox Vocoder and did a quick test...
This thing is very tweakable - now I just have to figure out the correct settings and build a 9v powerpack.

Please have a listen and let me know what I should be aiming for. It is a quick test of two of the settings:

http://www.mediafire.com/?sharekey=c455 ... b9a8902bda

And here is a pic of the badboy :)

Im aiming for recognizable - it wont have to be 100% but just enough that its portable, realtime and people know the sound :)

Dave

nashslash
Flight Leader

Post by nashslash » Tue Sep 02, 2008 9:46 am

Wicked, that's sounding just about as good as you can get for a realtime on the fly voice changer. Would love to hear more once you found a way to turn it into a portable device.
www.battlefield-online.net

mckenic
Patrol Member

Post by mckenic » Tue Sep 02, 2008 3:06 pm

Thanks a million for listening mate!

Im fairly happy with the thing to be honest - pitch etc. can be changed so lots of listening to the dvds ahead for me :)

It runs on a 9v wall wart power supply so Im hoping some electronics whiz locally can build me a rechargable battery pack...

If anyone is interested the power supply outputs: 9VA 830mA.

I picked up two of these - one for my costume (whenever that will be) and one for my music studio :) They were a guitarists effect line a few years ago but I think they didnt do very well. Initially the Alesis series went for $130 but towards the end they fell to $30 blowout... All the ModFx series are getting more and more difficult to source these days so much so that I had to pay just over the initial retail for both of these from different folks!

If anyone is interested, I'd suggest picking one up as soon as you can find them as I think they will become a cult thing - they are already fairly difficult to find...

Anyhoo, thanks again for listening again mate!

Dave

Cylon-Knight
Site Administrator

Post by Cylon-Knight » Tue Sep 02, 2008 10:40 pm

Wow. That is a great solution for the voice. Very creative idea!

So - thinking ahead to it being part of a Cylon outfit - I guess you speak into a mic in the helmet and the vocorder, in real time, converts your voice... think there would be any of your own voice that could be heard? Or would a speaker in your suit overpower your own voice?

Great find thanks for sharing. I'll have to save up and search for one quick before all the Cylons buy them up :wink:
"All Baseships are now in range to attack the Colonies."

nashslash
Flight Leader

Post by nashslash » Wed Sep 03, 2008 5:42 am

I think during a troop, what with the eye sound and all. Its pretty difficult for a crew member to hear your voice. Once the vocoder was installed with a decent speak system. That's what you'd be hearing.
www.battlefield-online.net

mckenic
Patrol Member

Post by mckenic » Wed Sep 03, 2008 8:17 am

Thanks again folks!

My idea would be to velcro the unit inside the backback (its just larger than a guitar stompbox).

A good quality bluetooth headset mic inside the helmet (to cut down on wires) and the bluetooth receiver attached to the backpack unit.

Then two mini speaker enclosures (just the metal cone part) inside the neck part so the only wiring would be from the backpack to the neck speakers... so your voice would come from the neck (cuts down on feedback with the speakers away from the mic)...

:) Theoretically it should work :)

But its only theory at the moment :)

Depending on the power of the speakers I wouldnt imagine ANY of your own voice would be heard! This has been on my mind since I joined the forum so work will continue and I hope you guys dont mind me posting ongoing progress - I think this really could wok!

Thanks again folks!

Dave

SiR-ROUND

Post by SiR-ROUND » Wed Sep 03, 2008 12:21 pm

Xample 2 doesn't sound half bad. It's very digital sounding compared to the original, tad harsh, but it's very good!

mckenic
Patrol Member

Post by mckenic » Wed Sep 03, 2008 3:22 pm

Agreed indeed :)

I must set aside time to delve further... for example I think I mixed too much of my own voice in with the second sample, but not enough and it becomes hard to understand the words said.

Also its very strange hearing your own voice in your head over what is coming out of the speakers - I must try this with headphones to get the settings right :)

Finally, I think the conversion to mp3 may have 'coloured' the sound a bit... I'll try capture an uncompressed .wav soon.

Thanks again for all the discussion on this folks!

Dave

SiR-ROUND

Post by SiR-ROUND » Wed Sep 03, 2008 3:25 pm

Ha yeah, compressed as well, maybe clipped, all kinds of things can happen. Do a "BYC" next time!

:wink:

Galactifan
Flight Leader

Post by Galactifan » Thu Sep 04, 2008 12:00 am

Interesting sounds. It has some potential to make a live Cylon voice for a wearable costume. Here's a clip I found on YouTube...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9fX7cLwIuFI

Galactifan
Flight Leader

Post by Galactifan » Thu Sep 04, 2008 12:06 am

Here's a link to the Metavox Instruction Manual...
http://www.alesis.com/stuff/contentmgr/ ... manual.pdf

mckenic
Patrol Member

Post by mckenic » Thu Sep 04, 2008 6:25 am

Hi Galactifan!

Thanks for the links mate :)

It was that video that made me think of the Metavox instead of a UMPC running software. The Metavos is smaller and it would be a bit strange trying to fit even an 8'' laptop into a backpack :)

My second Metavox arrived today and this one had the instruction manual with it - Phew!

Thanks again dude!
Dave

Briz_Cylon
Spare Parts

Post by Briz_Cylon » Sat Sep 27, 2008 7:30 am

This info is a great find!

I have just bought one of the alesis vocoder whatsamajiggers......

I cant wait to get it up and running.

Cheers
Briz_Cylon

mckenic
Patrol Member

Post by mckenic » Sat Sep 27, 2008 1:44 pm

Hey cool!

Ive restarted Uni so things have slowed right down :)

Let me know if you want any info or help mate - youll prolly get finished before me!!!

Dave

Return to “Media - Video - Sound Clips -Music”