Hi again folks - catch-up time!

Talk about just about anything you like. Your projects you have on your work bench, TV shows you like, or miss, etc.
mckenic
Patrol Member

Hi again folks - catch-up time!

Post by mckenic » Wed Jul 23, 2008 7:59 pm

Hey folks!

Its been a bit since I had the time to check out the boards so I thought I'd jump in and say Hi again and let you know what I'm up to...

Firstly - I finished Uni (have a small project to write to graduate but should be ok) so I have my degree in New Media & English and Ive applied and been accepted for a Music Technology Masters - Woo Hoo! I've also applied for a funded Research Masters so I might change... I'm gonna be 34 this year and I'm still at skool! Love it!

Been spending WAY too much money on props (pics below), got an airbrush and searched Ireland for styrene (found some in Dublin - a 2.5hour drive each way!)

Still searching for a cheap led system for my cylon but I have this 1/2 baked idea for a real time voice synth... you know those UMPCs? If they can run MiniHost/have a mic in and a headphone out - I could run Orange Vocoder VST... real time cylon voice! These suckers are getting smaller and cheaper - might try the eeePC...

So on to the pics - over the last few months Ive picked-up:

Boba Fett ESB Blastech - going to sand it and re-paint. Needs some filling and sharpening up. Needs a better wooden shoulder stock.

----

Next up is a RE Series 2 Blaster - needs lots of work!

----

On to a project I'm REALLY looking forward to - got this Boba lid form a member of Thedentedhelmet.com. Sharp as a tack - just needs trimming and painting!

----

Another TDH member is modeling stuff in the papercraft program Pepakura - doing a Boushh and going to fiberglass the iniside/resin the outside and auto filler to taste! I know one of the parts in inverted but this is a test build in stiff paper before moving on to the card version :)

----

Still have my St Fang Cylon to trim/fix the hight of the mohawk

----

Vader from the same Boba helmet TDH member - Great value! Small bits to trim/fill - then paint!

----

And finally - the worst POS ebay E11 ever... a REALLY bad cast - lots of bubbles to sort... might just write this off its so bad. Cant really tell from the pic but in person it really is a disappointment :(

So thats it - Ive been busy for the last few months but I'm glad to be back online and have some projects on the go finally! I'm DEEP in debt but hey! :)

Cheers folks!

Dave

SiR-ROUND

Post by SiR-ROUND » Thu Jul 24, 2008 4:27 pm

Nice, but what's wrong with the mohawk then?

mckenic
Patrol Member

Post by mckenic » Thu Jul 24, 2008 4:51 pm

Hey Sir Round!

AFAIK it comes down into too much of a V shape and is WAY too high from the top of the helmet.

I showed it to Dale and he very kindly offered to measure his screen accurate one for me when Im doing it - Im 5' 6" but I dont want the helmet to be too big :)

Dave

SiR-ROUND

Post by SiR-ROUND » Thu Jul 24, 2008 5:13 pm

Ah IC.

I wondered about the shape when looking for pics. Not totally up to par with my vintage knowledge yet. :wink:

Cheers!

Cylon-Knight
Site Administrator

Post by Cylon-Knight » Fri Jul 25, 2008 9:25 pm

mckenic, that is a great looking A New Hope Vader. Any updates to that project?
"All Baseships are now in range to attack the Colonies."

mckenic
Patrol Member

Post by mckenic » Thu Aug 07, 2008 8:43 pm

Hi folks!

Thanks for all the comments!

Cylon-Knight - no work on the Vader yet. The Uni stuff is catching up with me and Ive been learning my way around resin/fiberglassing with the Boushh build :)

But Vader is the very next thing I want to undertake :) It really is a fantastic cast with little or no work to be done on it. Hope you dont mind but Im so proud of it I took some more pics :)

For the quality of the work and shipping from Canada to Ireland it was really cheap - considering what some of the ebay ones go for Im DELIGHTED with it!

I have some lenses and tusks on the way ($15 & $4 - cant believe it!) for this bad boy -

The camera really doesnt capture how smooth this is - even inside!

So finally the Boushh paper model -

And just after resining the outside to add strength before filler :)

Thanks again folks - I'll keep posting progress if thats cool...

Dave

GoldCylon
Founder

Post by GoldCylon » Fri Aug 08, 2008 12:18 am

Great update photos, keep up the great work

SiR-ROUND

Post by SiR-ROUND » Fri Aug 08, 2008 3:59 am

Nice, even if it is just SW...

:lol:

mckenic
Patrol Member

Post by mckenic » Fri Aug 08, 2008 5:56 pm

Ah yes!

But just for the moment... the guy that modeled the Boushh also did Halo, an Imperial Guard, a Boba helmet and Gauntlets... he is a real master with that modeling programme AND he takes orders.

Ive already been chatting to him with regards to a new series Cylon helmet. It will cost more so I thought I'd try the Boushh to see if I get a helmet out of it before laying down for the Cylon :)

Hey - that might be something other folks would be interested in - perhaps we could do a 'group buy' and all get the templates :?:

But either way Im going to hit him up for a Viper Pilot original and new as well as the new Cylon :)

Thanks again,
Dave

SiR-ROUND

Post by SiR-ROUND » Sat Aug 09, 2008 4:24 am

Taking orders? That's great!

mckenic
Patrol Member

Post by mckenic » Sat Aug 09, 2008 5:55 am

:shock:

It would of course help if I posted the guys webpage :doh:

http://skipspepakuracostumes.blogspot.com/

SiR-ROUND

Post by SiR-ROUND » Sun Aug 10, 2008 2:05 pm

Really nice.

Cheers!

mckenic
Patrol Member

Post by mckenic » Mon Aug 11, 2008 9:34 am

:D

The Boushh build is coming along nice - not enough for pics yet but its a testbed for me to figure out glassing and autofiller... My GOD! I cant believe how sturdy Fiberglass is! Once I have the inside glassed will post pics...

The thing is, it has me really excited about the possibility of doing EVERYTHING in cardstock! If the new Cylon happens - whats to say TOS Cylon Armor cant be done!!!

Dave

Cylon-Knight
Site Administrator

Post by Cylon-Knight » Mon Aug 11, 2008 12:20 pm

mckenic, very nice! Wonderful talent.

Will your Boushh be a full outfit? Or are you stopping at the helmet?
And are you... holding a THERMAL DETONATOR!? *screams and runs* :lol:
"All Baseships are now in range to attack the Colonies."

mckenic
Patrol Member

Post by mckenic » Mon Aug 11, 2008 8:52 pm

Hey Cylon-Knight!

:oops: Thanks a million but seriously this is my first attempt and just a learning experience to see how I go with Glass & Bondo...

Its real easy to work with and I think thats down to how Skip broke it down in Pepakura :)

Not really thinking much further than getting the helmet done but a detonator would look GREAT with the helmet on a display stand :)

Im small enough to pass for a lady but dont think my chest would do justice to a full blown Boushh :) LoL

Thanks again mate!

Dave

Return to “Anything Off Topic”