Cylon Helmet Metal Grill

Tips, tricks, inside secrets, help, sources, items used on making the Cylon Centurion suit to wear. Tell us your story, how you came about collecting your parts to a Centurion, or if you own a complete Centurion costume.
cybertrooper
Raider Pilot

Cylon Helmet Metal Grill

Post by cybertrooper » Fri Apr 25, 2008 2:34 am

I have read that some of the hero versions of the cylon helmets had metal grills.

These were apparently used to disappate the build up of heat (caused by the distinctive lights utilised to give the Cylons their scanning red eye).

My question is firstly can anyone confirm this arrangement, and has there ever been a fan attempt to replicate this?

GoldCylon
Founder

Re: Cylon Helmet Metal Grill

Post by GoldCylon » Fri Apr 25, 2008 9:28 am

cybertrooper wrote:I have read that some of the hero versions of the cylon helmets had metal grills.

These were apparently used to disappate the build up of heat (caused by the distinctive lights utilised to give the Cylons their scanning red eye).

My question is firstly can anyone confirm this arrangement, and has there ever been a fan attempt to replicate this?
I have one of those metal grills, and your correct about the reason it was made. It was used as a heat sink to help absorb the heat the electronics generated.
I have never posted photos, or even photographed it, but I did send it to CORA to copy some years ago. I am not sure if he has anymore copies if the grill, but he sent me 2 of the copies. He did a great job coping it, and an OK/good job coping the paint job. Hard to explain how it was painted, so I would have to say even harder to copy, but he did a passable job with the paint. I'd send him a PM, and ask him about the grill, he might have some to sell.

cybertrooper
Raider Pilot

Post by cybertrooper » Fri Apr 25, 2008 8:07 pm

Thanks for the confirming info Dale.

Was the paint a 'bluing' similar to what would be called gun metal, or the finish that is applied to the metal surfaces of firearms. If so perhaps a gun smith could replicate it.

GoldCylon
Founder

Post by GoldCylon » Fri Apr 25, 2008 10:11 pm

It is a type of gun metal, but with a lite amount of swirling to the color. Almost like a poor mixing of two colors that are close in the same color range.

cybertrooper
Raider Pilot

Post by cybertrooper » Sat Apr 26, 2008 3:46 am

If CORA does have any metal grills then I would be interested in obtaining one.

GoldCylon
Founder

Post by GoldCylon » Sat Apr 26, 2008 8:27 am

Send him a PM, ask if he has one, just tell him Dale sent you, so he doesn't wonder who told you he had it.

Return to “Centurion Builders' Forum”