Who was laying dead in the crashed ship in War of the gods

Discussions about the 1978 TV & Movie series.
Starbuck
Raider Gunner

Who was laying dead in the crashed ship in War of the gods

Post by Starbuck » Mon Apr 14, 2008 2:39 pm

I've often wondered, indeed it has been one of those (often on your mind)
mysteries of the show. Who was really laying in the wreckage of the crashed ship on the planet that Starbuck found and warned Sheba not to look. I have always belived that it was the body of Iblis himself.
But as others have wondered, could it have been Commander Cain, or another recognizable crewmember of the Pegasus?

Galactifan
Flight Leader

Post by Galactifan » Mon Apr 14, 2008 11:18 pm

The following is copied from battlestargalactica.com website...

What was inside the wrecked ship in "War of the Gods?
According to the original script and the novelization, the wreckage belonged to Count Iblis' comrades. Here is the scene in the script, as Apollo and Starbuck enter the wreckage.

Apollo: Everything is pretty well vaporized. Whatever hit this thing must have had the power of a sun.
Apollo stops dead in his tracks, looks down. He seems to shutter.

Apollo: Starbuck!

Starbuck looks over and sees the sober look on Apollo's face. He moves over and looks down as Apollo begins to put on some tight fitting gloves. A piece of metallic surface, highly scorched but out of which protrudes a foot-like extremity, except that it's tip is clearly in the shape of a cloven hoof. Apollo and Starbuck exchange heavy looks. Apollo bends down and tries to life the metal. As they lift it off, tossing it aside, they grimace in horror. Under the wreckage is the figure of a devil, a demon.

The networks decided to drop the scene with the cloven hoof for two reasons. The scene might be scary to younger audiences, and there were religious implications behind the scene (i.e. "satanic".) For audience members, the absence of the scene wrongly suggested that the warriors had peered inside the wreckage of Commander Cain's Battlestar Pegasus. As Count Iblis told Sheba, "Your father, you will see him again."

http://www.battlestargalactica.com/outs ... oc0001.htm

GoldCylon
Founder

Post by GoldCylon » Tue Apr 15, 2008 4:37 am

So very true, even if you back back to the deleted parts of the DVD you can see when the Count is blasted he changes back into the creator you spoke of.

Starbuck
Raider Gunner

Post by Starbuck » Tue Apr 15, 2008 11:06 am

Thanks for the info! As I said I always suspected that it was Iblis, or soemthing of that nature, but always left room for doubt about it being the Pegasus. so now I know. Thanks!
It seems, then, from the script and from what Adama said, that it was just another unlucky group that had taken the evil Iblis in, and possibly more of his comrades, and it led to their ultimate destruction.
Maybe that's why the beings of light were there lookking for him.

Galactifan
Flight Leader

Post by Galactifan » Wed Apr 16, 2008 8:06 pm

Hey, we ALL thought it was the Battlestar Pegasus when that episode aired. I was a bit dissapointed to read the real explanation. I think the Pegasus makes for a better story...but ONLY if we never see the Pegasus again (which is what happened).

GoldCylon
Founder

Post by GoldCylon » Thu Apr 17, 2008 4:59 pm

Remove me from the ALL group. It never even crossed my mind that it was a Battlestar, let alone the Pegasus. I do recall the wreckage was as big as a Battlestar, but my thoughts were it was a poor crew that fell victim of the smooth talking Iblis. I did read shorty after the episode aired (before the show ended) that ABC did cut the viewing of the dead aliens out. I never did see the film footage till the full DVD release came about. I was a bit let down on what they showed, about 2 - 3 seconds of true screen time is all that was shown. I guess that was enough to pull that clip from airing on TV, well at least ABC.
The reason I never thought it was the Pegasus was because none of the characters acted like is was the Pegasus, or a Battlestar or even a Colonial ship. My thought is was just an unknown large ship filled with many victims.

cybertrooper
Raider Pilot

Post by cybertrooper » Tue Apr 22, 2008 7:29 am

I have to say I never thought it was the Pegasus either.

I didn't read about that possibility until years later (on the net).

The alternate explaination certainly had potential,but I always thought the crashed ship linked to Iblis's past.

goldcylon1
First Centurion

Post by goldcylon1 » Tue Jun 03, 2008 11:31 pm

GoldCylon wrote:Remove me from the ALL group. It never even crossed my mind that it was a Battlestar, let alone the Pegasus. I do recall the wreckage was as big as a Battlestar, but my thoughts were it was a poor crew that fell victim of the smooth talking Iblis. I did read shorty after the episode aired (before the show ended) that ABC did cut the viewing of the dead aliens out. I never did see the film footage till the full DVD release came about. I was a bit let down on what they showed, about 2 - 3 seconds of true screen time is all that was shown. I guess that was enough to pull that clip from airing on TV, well at least ABC.
The reason I never thought it was the Pegasus was because none of the characters acted like is was the Pegasus, or a Battlestar or even a Colonial ship. My thought is was just an unknown large ship filled with many victims.
You have to remember too Dale. Even the IL was in shadows most of the show as the face was to scary for prime time tv!! OR maybe the camera guys were afaird to get a close up as the iguna might bite them lol
Goldcylon@cox.net

GoldCylon
Founder

Post by GoldCylon » Wed Jun 04, 2008 3:28 pm

goldcylon1 wrote: You have to remember too Dale. Even the IL was in shadows most of the show as the face was to scary for prime time tv!! OR maybe the camera guys were afaird to get a close up as the iguna might bite them lol
Well the creature, what ever it was used as the lizard type of animal was only used one day. The owner was paid for a side day of usage, so what ever wasn't captured on film that one and only day of filming was never to be seen again. Also don't mistake the IL Series for the Imperious Leader. I almost made the same TYPO the other day.

goldcylon1
First Centurion

Post by goldcylon1 » Wed Jun 04, 2008 8:28 pm

GoldCylon wrote:
goldcylon1 wrote: You have to remember too Dale. Even the IL was in shadows most of the show as the face was to scary for prime time tv!! OR maybe the camera guys were afaird to get a close up as the iguna might bite them lol
Well the creature, what ever it was used as the lizard type of animal was only used one day. The owner was paid for a side day of usage, so what ever wasn't captured on film that one and only day of filming was never to be seen again. Also don't mistake the IL Series for the Imperious Leader. I almost made the same TYPO the other day.
Nope I said IL as I was too lazy to type his full title. lol
Goldcylon@cox.net

Red Eye
Cylon Empire VIP & BYC.net Gallery Admin

Post by Red Eye » Fri Jun 27, 2008 12:08 am

This screencap from the

Red Eye
Cylon Empire VIP & BYC.net Gallery Admin

Post by Red Eye » Fri Jun 27, 2008 12:14 am

GoldCylon wrote:
The lizard-pet of the Imperious Leader is in fact a so-called Jackson chameleon with glued-on wings of course... :wink:

137th Gebirg
Flight Leader

Re: Who was laying dead in the crashed ship in War of the gods

Post by 137th Gebirg » Sun Dec 20, 2009 7:34 pm

Here are some good pics of Iblis in his true form. The pic on the left is the original costume which they turned negative to give it the eerie look on the right. Also, the left pic is a scan from the "Encyclopedia Galactica" which, interestingly, was used as the picture for a Boray. A shame, really. That book had lots of great photos never seen anywhere else, but the information in it was not very well researched at all.

I may appear unoccupied to you, but at the molecular level, I'm really quite busy.

Cylon-Knight
Site Administrator

Post by Cylon-Knight » Sun Dec 20, 2009 9:27 pm

I never thought the wreck was the Pegasus either... Apollo and Starbuck would have noticed some colonial "stuff" in the wreck.
For me, I think it was either The Count's own kind - or some other suckers that had followed him till they were of no use anymore, etc.

OH THE DRAMA!
"All Baseships are now in range to attack the Colonies."

Reaper63
Patrol Member

Post by Reaper63 » Mon Dec 21, 2009 5:41 pm

Even during it's first airing, I never thought it was the Pegasus. It was always just another large ship that Iblis had taken over. I also didn't think it crashed recently, I thought that wreckage had been there a while and it was Iblis that made it appear as if it crashed, using his powers to fool the Galactica's scanners.

I would have loved to have seen the original ideas though. Very satanic :)
Reaper
Strike Captain Edan
Blackstar Squadron

Return to “1978 TV Series”