Hi Folks! Irish Cylon nut!

Tell us about yourself. Post about yourself, your collection, builds or what you hope to collect, build.
mckenic
Patrol Member

Hi Folks! Irish Cylon nut!

Post by mckenic » Wed Mar 19, 2008 9:11 pm

Hi there!

My name is Dave and I live in Ireland. Im totally new to ALL this - discovered props completely by accident as there was a Cylon helmet on ebay so I did some backtracking - and Im still learning. I joined TDH which led me here :)

Im a 33yo mature college student (long story) and a BSG / SW fan since the 70s... Just ordered a Cylon helmet from Sgt Fang (I didnt know about this forum at the time) and Im chomping at the bit to get going!

Im into making electro and guitar music and Ive a funny feeling that helmet collecting/building is going to become yet another obsession!

Just wanted to say a quick hello to you all! Im going to have LOTS of questions about sourcing parts and an eye scanner! Hope this is ok!

Dave

cybertrooper
Raider Pilot

Post by cybertrooper » Thu Mar 20, 2008 2:49 am

Good luck in your path towards building a cylon warrior.
Dale has assembled a wealth of information, and has made yours and my dream actually achievable - it just takes a little effort and a bit of patience.

Cheers, Patrick

GoldCylon
Founder

Post by GoldCylon » Thu Mar 20, 2008 3:19 am

Welcome Dave, ans thank you Patrick. Welcome on board. What is the TDH. I have heard of Fang before, but don't recall much than the name at the moment. Can't wait to hear some of your music , and see your Cylon helmet.
:shock: 8)

mckenic
Patrol Member

Post by mckenic » Sat Mar 22, 2008 8:20 pm

Hi Patrick! Hi Gold Cylon!

Thanks for the very warm welcome :)

Im DELIGHTED to find this forum and will be on here regularly! I'd love to see pictures of how your getting on cybertrooper!

Just a small bit more about myself and then I'll shut up :) I worked for years as an Admin at an internet service provider and before that as a C/C++ programmer. I got sick with Ulcerative Colitis and decided on a life change - to go to University here in Limerick, Ireland - I should have done this years ago - its so much fun. The money is bad but the craic is great :)

I spotted a Sgt Fang Cylon on ebay and backtracked to the Boba Fett fansite - The Dented Helmet - where I spoke to him and ordered a Cylon. All in it came to $150 for a resin cast.

Pic:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v260/ ... cylon1.jpg

Now because I was into programming and stuff before and because my health is bad at the moment and I might have to take time off Uni - Im fairly interested in learning about Arduino (hardware and software projects). Im thinking I might be able to make a cheap scanning eye for my helmet and Im hoping I can add a soundchip... Anyone have any thoughts about the Hyperdyne Labs kit?

Any sources of scanning led eye lights? I did see a post from a user that had a kit for sale but it was an old thread... hope there is still some around Im getting my head around electronics and pcbs but Im coming at it in the middle :)

Anyhoo - thats enough for now - once again, thanks a million for the warm welcome and for having this WONDERFUL resource!!!

Dave

PS - Oh BTW... if there is any interest a mate and my guitar tunes are here:

http://www.myspace.com/celestialmusiclimerick

GoldCylon
Founder

Post by GoldCylon » Sat Mar 22, 2008 8:32 pm

Hey Dave
Great to see you back, and your helmet. That helmet is from the old Icon's company. That mold to make those helmets was sold off on eBay about 1 year ago.
A programmer, way cool, my original fun from the 70's, but didn't want to mix fun into my job......a mistake, but hey I make a good living still. My new found fun is props, something I played with back as a kid. I listen to your music in a bit.
The eye scanner I am having custom built isn't going to be cheap, but if your a designer of electronics you can build up something pretty quick, and cheap. If you want to go something a bit quick, and real cheap you can Google Halloween Cylon, and see the pumpkin with the Cylon eye scanner. I think that can be built for about $50 or less.

mckenic
Patrol Member

Post by mckenic » Sat Mar 22, 2008 9:07 pm

Hi Gold Cylon!

:) Thanks for that info! Yep, the left of the eye (as your looking at it) seems indented a bit and may need bondo (or some local stuff like it) - not too bad a price to start off but of course Id rather a correct one - I'll be keeping a VERY close eye on your build tutorials and a lookout for the purchase links :)

To be honest, Ive not programmed in about 6/7 years - as you said mixing a job with fun can take the fun out of it!

I didnt realise you were having a custom scanner built... is this a private one for your collection? If not, of course Id be interested in any kit that gets your approval! I like getting my hands dirty so I'll have a look at the Jack o Lantern cylon - just have to learn how to breadboard it :) Ive built a few pcbs (horrible ferric chloride!) but would consider myself a newbie - I find it REALLY hard to troubleshoot them if something doesn't work 1st time :)

Thanks again for the info!

Happy Easter!!!

Dave

GoldCylon
Founder

Post by GoldCylon » Sun Mar 23, 2008 10:10 am

Dave
This eye scanner that is being designed, and built for me is a modern day upgrade to the original screen used scanner. It will be using the same light bulb type, not a LED. This was something that wasn't easy to have the design use, he like most everyone else that has made their own design uses LED's these days, but the authentic look, and feel is what I am trying for. I guess I need to have the PC boards made up, not cheap, the custom boards alone will run about $86 each. The build time will be about 1 a week at best, and the price is looking to be about $800 each. This is high, but this is also cheaper than the 1:1 screen accurate scanner that is being sold at $1050 that can't run off a battery, unless it is a new battery belt. The life is about 20 minutes on that system. Expected life on the version I will be selling on a 9 volt system is 4 - 5 hours. At a Con that is decent enough, because you won't be able to handle being in a Cylon suit that long. It will also have a AC wall plug in. In case you haven't seen or noticed most LED over a bulb the bulbs are smooth seamless just like the movement in the logo above, while the LED is very choppy, more like flash on, flash off for each lite.
Note about the helmet you purchase, the Mohawk is way to wide, that is the only major defect that needs adjustment, if it can be taken down about 20% it won't stand out to much.

mckenic
Patrol Member

Post by mckenic » Sun Mar 23, 2008 4:42 pm

Hi Gold Cylon!

Thanks a MILLION for this info - I hope Im not annoying you going over ground you've already covered for the new guy? :D

As this is all new to me, Im beginning to realize the difference between a screen accurate model and a replica prop! Yes $800 is a lot but a lot less than I would think for such a bespoke part! The leds Ive seen do indeed suffer from exactly what you mentioned - either on or off... I hadnt thought of how to do it the correct way... please do drop me a line when your production begins. Not sure Id have that much but I can start saving now :)

Also if its ok/cool with you, I might drop you a line when my helmet gets here... I might need some measurements on bringing the ridge down...?

Thanks again for everything!

Dave

GoldCylon
Founder

Post by GoldCylon » Sun Mar 23, 2008 5:04 pm

Your welcome Dave, and sure thing about the helmet dims.
Dale

Return to “Say Hi”