JEM HADAR SOLDIER

A place to share what you have made, or collect.
Darthvehement
Patrol Member

JEM HADAR SOLDIER

Post by Darthvehement » Wed Apr 24, 2024 6:17 pm

Released by "Playmates" company in 2002, the articulated figure comes with a pulse rifle and pistol, (both of which are very poorly produced, looking very "cracker toylike" with no details, cast in a purple coloured plastic, the pistol being the worst, not even the correct scale!! Why did they bother at all to produce them?!)
I gave up reconditioning the pistol, there was no incuded holster for it, anyway, which is another issue, as the box photo shows the figure with a holster!!.
The rifle I resculpted using a soldering iron, cutting into shape, following the reference photos.
I attached a rubber belt (from a cassette player) to the stock and top anchor, for the shoulder strap.
Silver paint is applied, after the details are carved in, with a black wash to pick out the recesses.
Yellow is applied, as per details on the photos.
Apart from the abysmal weopons, the figure is not a bad rendition, however, there are many inaccuracies, which is disappointing for serious Star Treck collectors.
The head is fairly accurate, apart from the "pigtail"hair and the skin colour (painted with a green hue, the creatures are supposed to have a blue/grey skin tone)

The horns growing out of the face , I painted over with Ivory/white to highlight them, then, as with the exposed skin, I went over these areas with a transparent blue wash, picking out the scale texture of the skin.
I clear coated the eyes to finish the face.
Using a soldering iron, I resculpted the hair at the back of the head into the black appendage they all have.

The hands were smooth cast, (apparently they had no budget to add the skin details), so I again went over them with the soldering iron, carving the skin texture.
The uniform is also less than accurate, missing the "V" opening at the front.
There was no fixture for the kettracell
tube and the tube fitted was the wrong scale, so, I added the tube fitting to the uniform and replaced the original tube with a smaller sized, white electrical wire.
There was also some emblem roughly sewn on to the front of the uniform, I removed it, as it wasn't present on the character uniforms.
Generally, the figure is lacking, but as the only one produced and a good size, I would still rate it 3 out of five stars.
Attachments
2ace5e1f4c22d8d57ba615c59f19d402.jpg
20e7cbcebde4fd86a2928d441f685726.jpg
7802a8dc9ba54f5a4a5b3ac2d871a7af.jpg
7d55e5069252dbdd90124183523c0d24.jpg

Cylon-Knight
Site Administrator

Re: JEM HADAR SOLDIER

Post by Cylon-Knight » Wed Apr 24, 2024 9:35 pm

WOW! You did some serious upgrades, impressive.
I've never heard of a soldering iron used how you described. Very interesting techinque.
"All Baseships are now in range to attack the Colonies."

Darthvehement
Patrol Member

Re: JEM HADAR SOLDIER

Post by Darthvehement » Thu May 02, 2024 9:37 am

A soldering iron can be used to melt and manipulate plastics. Also, it can be used to cut and score plastics for folding. Attachments can be used for melting holes in plastics and resins, where a drill would be too stressful for the circumstances or materials.

Return to “Show off you props, or models that you have built”