Viper Helmet colour

This is a help forum to build your classic series props and costumes.
Oxnard Montalvo
Centurion

Viper Helmet colour

Post by Oxnard Montalvo » Thu Feb 23, 2023 5:06 pm

Having at last secured a Grail prop of mine (one I've wanted since '78) an awesome 3D printed viper helmet kit, I want to make sure I take my time and do it right. Is there a consensus on what the helmet colour actually is? I've seen 'wheat' mentioned quite a lot, but photo research is making my head spin, as nearly every picture I look at seems completely different under different lighting conditions.

I'd love to hear what the group thinks.... extra cubits if someone can give me an exact shade that's available in the UK. I could even work with a Pantone number If one exists....

Many many thanks in advance...

Flerndip
Centurion

Re: Viper Helmet colour

Post by Flerndip » Mon Jul 03, 2023 1:10 pm

Sorry that nobody came through with a definitive answer for you but I have heard it described as a mustard brown.

bishopdonmiguel
Phalanx Leader

Re: Viper Helmet colour

Post by bishopdonmiguel » Sat Jul 08, 2023 6:29 am

I’ve heard rumors that a Chevy/GMC truck color was used but nothing definitive. The color board from that year would suggest 65 Buckskin. But as you said, the color looks different depending on the scene (and lighting and color grading).

Not wanting to invest in automotive paint, the color I used for my build was “Afrika Mustard” from Testors. I felt it reasonably matched my memories of the prop, something that’s tan with some yellow and subtle green hues, although I think the actual prop is somewhat more “basic tan” like the afore mentioned Buckskin. Unfortunately, Testors has discontinued that color.

Good luck with your build and be sure to show us your work when finished. I will link my work below should you have any interest in seeing it.

https://bionicmoonlabs.com/props/battle ... ot-helmet/

Return to “Classic Battlestar Props and Costumes”