More extended and unused scenes

Prepared in honor of the 40th anniversary of the 1978 Universal sci-fi series. These transcripts are intended as a research aid for those studying the classic series.

Moderator: Specter

Specter
Raider Pilot
Location: Quadrant Alpha, 19,000,000 sectars by Epsilon vector 22

More extended and unused scenes

Post by Specter » Wed Jan 25, 2023 7:06 pm

Reading through the script for "Saga of a Star World," I'm finding some interesting deleted dialogue for which we don't have any footage, because it was either not preserved or never even shot. I thought I'd make a thread here to post some of those scenes occasionally. There may be some changes to spelling and punctuation to improve legibility.

Let's start with the scene outside Adama's home on Caprica. Instead of Adama emerging into view of the crowd with the line "All destroyed," we have these lines, which can also be found (spoken by other characters) in the Marvel Super Special:

SERINA
And what of the President and the Council of the Twelve? And the other colonies? Surely we can fight back. We have the will, we are united... all twelve colonies. They cannot possibly defeat our combined strength.

ADAMA
We became as one... too late.

Then later we have this extended conclusion of the scene:

ADAMA
Yes, we are going to fight back. But not here, not now, not in the colonies, not even in this star system. Let the word go forth to every man, woman, and child who has survived this infamy. Tell them to set sail at once in every assorted vehicle that will carry them.

APOLLO
There isn’t time to arrange provisions, father. The Cylons will be sending landing parties to eradicate the survivors. If we could send in our remaining fighters…

ADAMA
No. There are too many of them and too few of us. There is a time to fight and a time to withdraw, to fight another day.

APOLLO
But there is no way to board the entire population on the Galactica. And we have no troop carriers, nothing that can make light speed.

ADAMA
Then we’ll use what we do have. Every intergalactic passenger liner, freighter, tanker, even inter-colony buses, air taxis, anything that will carry our people into the stars.

SERINA
And when they have gathered in the stars?

ADAMA
We will lead them, and protect them until we are strong again.

The group facing the Commander turn, exchanging curious looks. Either they are in the presence of a madman or a savior.

"Eternal perfection and order is the goal of the Cylon Empire."
- Group Leader Cyrus

Cylon-Knight
Site Administrator

Re: More extended scenes

Post by Cylon-Knight » Wed Jan 25, 2023 8:06 pm

So awesome. I can imagine seeing that in the show. Fits in perfectly, of course!
:loveit:
"All Baseships are now in range to attack the Colonies."

Specter
Raider Pilot

Post by Specter » Thu Jan 26, 2023 6:25 pm

Here’s an extended scene on the bridge of the Galactica, a pretty cool thing we never got to see, the moment where Starbuck, Boomer, and Jolly, who were left behind at the battle of Cimtar, learn what’s happened to the Colonies. The order of the scenes is somewhat different in the script, so the conversation between Omega and Tigh is happening immediately after Starbuck has landed his Viper and had his confrontation with Athena in the corridor.

ON THE BRIDGE
as Starbuck storms into the chamber where the mood is subdued and his entrance goes unnoticed.

BRIDGE OFFICER
Ships are coming in on both decks, sir.

The Colonel leaves the map area.

TIGH
What’s the count?

BRIDGE OFFICER
Sixty-seven fighters in all, sir, twenty-five of our own.

TIGH
How many battlestars?

There is a pregnant pause.

BRIDGE OFFICER
None.

TIGH
What???

BRIDGE OFFICER
We’re the only surviving battlestar.

TIGH
My God. Make the pilots from the other ships as welcome as you can.

STARBUCK
Little late for that, Colonel.

All eyes swing to Starbuck moving in, with Athena a few steps behind him.

ATHENA
He doesn’t know what happened, Colonel. I don’t think any of them know.

Suddenly two more pilots are on the flight bridge.

STARBUCK
Know what?

Boomer and Jolly come to a stop beside Starbuck.

TIGH
Put the transmissions we monitored back on the scanners… for our young patriots.

STARBUCK
If this is going to be a lecture on military protocol…

SUDDENLY THE SCANNERS COME TO LIFE
four at a time, each displaying the attack bombing, the confusion, the devastation of the colonies.

SLOWLY PUSHING IN ON THE PILOTS’ FACES
as they are sobered and horrified by what they see.

- Group Leader Cyrus

Specter
Raider Pilot

Post by Specter » Fri Jan 27, 2023 5:37 am

At last a Cylon scene… and the different running order in the script strikes again. Here, the Imperious Leader has already ordered Baltar killed before Flight Leader Serpentine reveals to him that some humans have survived. As a result, the conversation with Serpentine goes rather differently. Interestingly, the Imperious Leader refers to “the empire” here, as opposed to the usual early term “the Alliance.”

The lines that appear in the bonus footage are in green, the rest of the unused lines in blue.

CENTURION
Flight Leader Serpentine, by your command.

IMPERIOUS LEADER
Report on the final assault on the human colonies.

CENTURION
The reports are all similar. There were few survivors.

IMPERIOUS LEADER
And have they been put to death?

CENTURION
All but those who would bargain with us.

IMPERIOUS LEADER
And what have they to bargain?

CENTURION
They speak of a group of humans who escaped into ships.

The Leader’s brow furls angrily.

IMPERIOUS LEADER
It isn’t true!

CENTURION
On each of the twelve planets, a similar story is told of a handful of ships who escaped destruction to rendezvous with a warship.

IMPERIOUS LEADER
What kind of warship?

CENTURION
A battlestar.

IMPERIOUS LEADER
Nooo….

CENTURION
On each colony, they tell the same story. I believe it to be true.

IMPERIOUS LEADER
Send word to every outpost in the empire that the last battlestar is to be hunted down and her human refuse destroyed.

CENTURION
And what of the humans who have bargained for their lives?

IMPERIOUS LEADER
When you are satisfied that we know everything they know, return them to our people and allow them the privilege of seeing them beheaded.

CENTURION
By your command.

The Centurion turns and leaves.

- Group Leader Cyrus

Specter
Raider Pilot

Post by Specter » Tue Jan 31, 2023 11:27 am

This extended scene 188-B from “The Gun on Ice Planet Zero” was probably cut because its tone was too unserious to fit in with the storyline. Still, it’s interesting to see what the results were when the Cylons examined Cadet Cree with the brain probe. Note that the script had Cree in a chair whereas he was standing up in the filmed version.

BRAIN-PROBE ROOM – CLOSE ON MONITOR

We can see a number of images flashing on the screen… Brie, Athena, different girls… we pull back to reveal the Cylons adjusting knobs, throwing switches… the result is an occasional flash of the Galactica or a cockpit… but mostly it’s just girls. Vulpa joins the two Centurions. In the background we can see Cree in the chair with a fixed stare.

VULPA
Anything?

CENTURION
Occasionally. But it is always cluttered with these female images.

VULPA
Strange.
(beat)

Take him to a cold cell. I will examine his cortex later.

Vulpa turns and starts to walk away; he looks back at the monitor. It is still flashing with girls. He shakes his head and exits.
- Group Leader Cyrus

Specter
Raider Pilot

Post by Specter » Tue Jan 31, 2023 7:15 pm

This extended scene with the Council of the Twelve, only part of which appears in the deleted scenes collection, contains dialogue establishing some of the backstory about Carillon that was ultimately dealt with in a log entry and in a scene added later between Adama and Tigh. An interesting detail is that the script has Serina also observing the proceedings. Again, the parts for which footage exists are in green.

THE GALACTICA – IN THE COUNCIL CHAMBER
people are crowded in as if in a courtroom… as it erupts with a solid voice vote from the council of the twelve, all robe-clad leaders flanking Adama on either side of the council table. As one, the table is saying “No… Unacceptable… You cannot resign.”

ANTON
Adama, you have led us wisely and well. We cannot accept your resignation. Not now, when things are so grave.

URI
I disagree. I think our dear Adama is best qualified to judge his own capacity to lead.

ON APOLLO seated in the gallery beside Starbuck and Boomer. Directly behind him is Serina.

BACK TO URI

URI
Here we are, a fleet of lost souls drifting through timeless space, without direction, fuel, or food. I cannot in good conscience recommend our predicament as the result of good planning.

ANTON
My dear Uri… I suppose the Cylon infamy should have been better coordinated with our departure.

URI
It’s the preparations after the attack about which I speak.
Poor judgment in choosing food and fuel lots now leave us on the brink of disaster.

ANTON
Councilman Uri… You have a lot of nerve casting accusations about food shortages when you have been brought up on charges of hoarding in the face of starvation.

ADAMA attempts to intervene.

ADAMA
Gentlemen, please. This is not in our best interests.

URI rises to his feet again.

URI
Gentlemen… It is my understanding that we have been voyaging on a secret course that will take us out of this star system.
(waddles towards the star map)
And to this outpost of rock known as Carillon. A nine-centon journey at the very least. Is that true?

ADAMA
Apparently all but the secret aspect, yes. Carillon was once the object of a mining expedition from our colonies. Rich sources of Tylium.

URI
But it was abandoned as impractical to mine.

ADAMA
Only because there was no local labor and it was too far from the colonies to make shipping a very practical operation. That needn’t concern us now.

URI
On the contrary. The same problem still exists. Carillon is too far away. We will never make it, because of the food disaster and the lack of time to board adequate fuels with so many inefficient ships in our flock. We cannot make Carillon without either leaving half of our people behind or choosing another destination.

ADAMA
There is no other.

URI
But there is. We can stop here on Borallus. We know that everything we need is there. Food, water, fuel.

There are waves of approval throughout the room.

ADAMA
And undoubtedly a Cylon task force.

A murmur races through the room.

URI
It is the most logical place for us to stop.

ADAMA
Precisely why I believe it would be fatal to do so.

URI
Possibly fatal. Is it not surely fatal to continue towards Carillon?

ANTON
Adama, there is this to consider. The situation has reached crisis levels. Rations have already been cut by two thirds. I don’t know. How much more can we conserve?

URI
And who amongst us would not rather see our loved ones extinguished in the micron flash of a Cylon cannon, than drift in fuelless vehicles while starvation agonizes us one by one?

APOLLO
There is another way.
- Group Leader Cyrus

Specter
Raider Pilot

Post by Specter » Wed Mar 01, 2023 7:06 am

An extended scene with the Ovion Queen Lotay:

INSIDE THE CHOSEN CHAMBER
Lotay looks up from her perch.

LOTAY
You are Captain Apollo?

ON APOLLO AND SERINA

APOLLO
I am.

LOTAY
Welcome to Carillon. You are impressed?

APOLLO
Outraged would be more like it. Where's the boy?

An easy smile crosses Lotay's face.

LOTAY
Would you care to join him?

APOLLO
You bet I would... and if anything's happened to him, you'll answer to the Colonies.

The Chosen Leader smiles noncommittally and rises. We find that she is taller than the worker Ovions. She leads the way as the Ovion guards move in behind Apollo and Serina.

IN A CORRIDOR

JOLLY
(sotto)
Did that smile mean she knows the Colonies don't exist?

APOLLO
(sotto)
I don't know.

LOTAY
We are a communal order from birth. We all work. We all share. There is no competition, no jealousy, no conflict. Only peace and order.

APOLLO
Perpetual happiness.

LOTAY
Happiness is the goal of an immature order. All pursue it. Few have it. None can sustain it. The Ovion is content. It is better.

Apollo and Serina exchange cautious looks.

SERINA
It seems to work for you.

LOTAY
For millenniums it has been so. Now, join us.

They arrive at another entry. The Leader stands aside.

LOTAY
Enter. Be our guests. Be well fed, well entertained. Be content.

The Ovion Leader smiles that strange bewildering look that suggests a private meaning. Apollo can't help feeling it's more than a benign suggestion.

- Group Leader Cyrus

Cylon-Knight
Site Administrator

Post by Cylon-Knight » Sun Mar 05, 2023 5:40 pm

Such a cool scene! The Ovions could have been so much more creepy cool.

Specter
Raider Pilot

Unused scenes

Post by Specter » Wed Aug 23, 2023 3:32 pm

There's a track on the Saga of a Star World soundtrack CD called "Senseless Killing." I think it must have been written for Scene 255-A in the script, which we never got to see.

IN AN OUTER CORRIDOR

Adama exits a room and is accosted by Athena. Adama does not stop.

ATHENA
Father, I can't believe you're letting them do this. Why couldn't you have voted against it? We should have stopped at Borallus. We wouldn't have to be taking this awful chance with their lives.

Adama stops and looks at Athena.

ADAMA
Whose lives?

ATHENA
Starbuck's and Apollo's... and the others.

A knowing look crosses Adama's face.

ADAMA
You place Lieutenant Starbuck's name ahead of your brother's. I had no idea. Does he share your feelings?

She turns away.

ATHENA
I didn't know myself until I heard he was going. It's all so hopeless. If they survive this... if any of us survive... what next? How long before we find Earth?

ADAMA
Perhaps never.

ATHENA
That's what I was thinking, father. We could grow old waiting. I mean we may never have the chance... to...

ADAMA
To get married and have children and a home.

ATHENA
Yes.

ADAMA
Well, I think it's premature for you to be worrying about old age. I, on the other hand, ought to give a great deal of thought to this voyage. If it should go on and on...

Athena hugs her father.

ATHENA
I'm sorry if I'm not handling myself well. I've never faced death before.

ADAMA
You faced senseless killing as you should have... with horror. That's the difference between humans and beings of the Alliance. We don't waste life. We only risk it when there is no other choice... as in this case, where the very survival of the human race may ride on three young men.
- Group Leader Cyrus

Specter
Raider Pilot

Unused scenes

Post by Specter » Sat Aug 26, 2023 8:24 am

Here's an interesting unused sequence from Experiment in Terra that shows the Seraphs using a trick to separate Apollo from the rest of his squadron before bringing him aboard the Ship of Lights. You can really tell from his attitude that the episode was originally written for Starbuck.

ON A LONE VIPER
screaming along under full turbos.

INSIDE THE VIPER – APOLLO
Suddenly, a Voice intervenes:

VOICE
Viper Four… Viper Four… Do you read?

APOLLO
This is Viper Four. Is that you, Galactica?

VOICE
Please modify course to 210 and a climbing vector to intersect 0710 for intercept.

APOLLO
Intercept?
(beat)
Intercept what?

VOICE
Captain Apollo… kindly obey instructions without random discourse.

APOLLO
(mimicking uppity bridge personnel)
Random discourse….

ON APOLLO’S SHIP
as it turns sharply.

BACK TO APOLLO

APOLLO
On course to intercept. Now where are you? My scanner’s empty.

VOICE
We have you on visual.

APOLLO
How can you have me on visual when my scanner doesn’t even show a—

POINT OF VIEW
the ships of light racing by.

BACK TO APOLLO

APOLLO
Frack… I walked right into it.

- Group Leader Cyrus

Cylon-Knight
Site Administrator

Re: More extended and unused scenes

Post by Cylon-Knight » Fri Sep 01, 2023 8:42 pm

Very cool!
The Ship of Lights is so impressive. I wish someone would do it up with a modern model... or even CGI (I guess) ;).

Specter
Raider Pilot

Re: Baltar is spared, version 1

Post by Specter » Sat Sep 02, 2023 7:56 am

In a very early draft of the pilot, which has only partially survived, Apollo is Skyler, Zac is Veedar, and Starbuck is Donno. As in the script quoted above, the Imperious Leader doesn't learn that there are human survivors until after he has ordered Baltar's execution. But here, as in the broadcast version, Baltar is removed for public execution instead of being killed on the spot. Here's how it goes in this version. (Note that the Cylons at this early stage are saying "At your command.")

INSIDE THE INNER CHAMBER
a side door opens and two Cylon warriors cross towards the center pedestal with a human between them. He is Baltar. One of the two sentries beside Baltar speaks.

SENTRY
At your command.

LEADER
Welcome, Baltar. You have done well.

Baltar looks as if he is about to attack the Leader. Obviously an unwise move.

BALTAR
I have done well? What have you done? What of our bargain? My colony was to be spared!

LEADER
The bargain was altered.

BALTAR
How can you change one side of a bargain without consulting the other side?

LEADER
But there is no other side. You have missed the entire point of the war.

Baltar’s resolve, his anger, is replaced by a creeping concern that he has erred in his evaluation of the man before him.

BALTAR
I don’t know what you mean.

LEADER
I mean, there could be no dominion over the species so long as man remained a power within the Universe. It was man or the Alliance. There could be no compromise.

BALTAR
But you have what you want. The threat no longer exists. I delivered my end of the bargain. My dominion was to be spared.

LEADER
There can be only one dominion. One power, one authority. There must be no exceptions.

BALTAR
But I have no ambitions against you.

LEADER
Could you think me so foolish as to trust a man who would see his own race destroyed?

BALTAR
Not destroyed, subjugated— under me!

LEADER
There can be no survivors. So long as one human remains alive, the Alliance is threatened.

BALTAR
Surely you don’t mean me.

LEADER
We thank you for your help, Baltar. Your time is at an end.

The leader nods and the two ominous sentries on either side of Baltar lift him from the floor, one on each arm, and begin to take him away.

BALTAR
No, you can’t! You still need me! You didn’t get them all!

ON THE LEADER

LEADER
Send the flight leader in.

ON THE DOOR
A sentry enters and stands aside as the flight leader enters. He moves directly to the center of the room.

FLIGHT LEADER
At your command.

LEADER

FLIGHT LEADER
The ships should be returning from the final assault at any moment.

LEADER
Well done, flight leader. As soon as I have your assurance that no human life form has survived in the colonies, we will prepare a public execution for Baltar, the last human being in the Universe. It should prove quite a reward for our people who have waited so long to see an end to mankind.

- Group Leader Cyrus

Specter
Raider Pilot

Re: Baltar is spared, version 2

Post by Specter » Sat Sep 02, 2023 8:38 am

In a somewhat later draft of the script (Apollo is still Skyler, but Zac is Zac and Starbuck is Starbuck), the scene plays out much as above, except that the flight leader's report goes like this:

FLIGHT LEADER
At your command.

LEADER

FLIGHT LEADER
The ships all report similar circumstances. The initial attack was so effective, there were no survivors.

LEADER
(incredulously)
No survivors!!! On any of the twelve colonies?

FLIGHT LEADER
That is correct, Imperious Leader.

Slowly push into the Imperious Leader’s knowing gaze…

But a few pages later we get this cool scene, which is somewhat reminiscent of the Epilogue in the broadcast version. (A bit of interesting backstory about Tucana in there.)

INSIDE THE INNER CHAMBER
two Cylon Centurions enter with Baltar between them. Baltar is a different man than the one who strode arrogantly before the Imperious one.

ON THE IMPERIOUS LEADER

CENTURION
By your command.

LEADER
The people of Cylon wish to offer you an opportunity to serve, Baltar.

Baltar searches for deception in the Leader’s words, but he is too resigned to death to challenge the unexpected words.

BALTAR
To serve…?

LEADER
It appears that a small band of refugee humans eluded the Alliance.

Baltar seems to stand a little taller.

BALTAR
I tried to forewarn you…

The Centurions hurl Baltar to the floor and hold staffs against the back of his head.

LEADER
I offer you life, and you question my judgment? Dangerous.

BALTAR raises his head slightly.

BALTAR
Kill me.

The Imperious Leader stares at Baltar, the Centurions waiting for a sign to kill him.

LEADER
Let him rise.

The Centurions remove their staffs. Baltar climbs to his feet.

LEADER
I sense a bargain.

BALTAR
We bargained before and it left me a dead man. This time I will have my reward before I serve you.

LEADER
The entire Alliance serves me. Why do I need you?

BALTAR
Why do you spare me? Because you fear man. You do not understand him. When your forces had taken and put the entire nation of Tucana into slavery, man was there to break the chains. When you chose to dominate the people of Gaelon, man was there to make the Galics strong, to help them seek their own destiny. The Cylon is content to serve. Man is born to lead. But I can succeed where you have failed.

LEADER
What is your bargain?

BALTAR
When I find the survivors of the colonies, they are mine.

LEADER
And how do you propose to protect this bargain?

BALTAR
There are those who will follow me, away from your influence, away from your interests.

LEADER
All the stars interest me.

BALTAR
You can have no rein on tyranny. There is room for all.

LEADER
You appear as a man, but you think like a Cylon.

BALTAR
The better to serve you, while serving myself.

LEADER
You will need Centurions.

BALTAR
Two will be adequate.

LEADER
Only two…??

Baltar looks from the Centurion on his left to the Centurion on his right.

BALTAR
These two.

LEADER
Your arrogance will destroy you.

BALTAR
I would rather die by my own hand than yours.

LEADER
So be it… they are yours.

Baltar smiles, nods and turns.

BALTAR
Come along, boys.

As Baltar moves off, the Centurions stand stoically awaiting instructions from the Imperious Leader.

LEADER
Go with him… Serve me!!

CENTURION
By your order.

They turn and move off as we close into a very troubled Imperious Leader.

- Group Leader Cyrus

Cylon-Knight
Site Administrator

Post by Cylon-Knight » Sat Sep 02, 2023 5:21 pm

VERY cool versions of what could have been!

I bet that "Skyler" was a not so subtle spin on "Skywalker." Might have been part of the reason for the lawsuit from Lucas? No wonder it changed.

Specter
Raider Pilot

Post by Specter » Sat Sep 02, 2023 6:12 pm

Cylon-Knight wrote:
Sat Sep 02, 2023 5:21 pm
VERY cool versions of what could have been!

I bet that "Skyler" was a not so subtle spin on "Skywalker." Might have been part of the reason for the lawsuit from Lucas? No wonder it changed.
Yeah, there was also “Lyra” for Serina, way too close to Leia. And Veedar? Come on. Darth Veedar?
- Group Leader Cyrus

Return to “Transcripts”