PROJECT: scratch-built Warrior Dress Medallion

This is a help forum to build your classic series props and costumes.
Flerndip
Centurion

PROJECT: scratch-built Warrior Dress Medallion

Post by Flerndip » Tue Dec 27, 2022 10:05 pm

:salute: LISTEN UP DAGGITS!

If there are any other colonial refugees hiding out on this base star, and you wish to participate in this discussion, please feel free to chime in.

I'm going to be planning this project from stream of consciousness to finished replica. If and when each actual thing gets actually built, there will be actual pictures. The plan is for me to throw my ideas on the table and then for you to laugh at them. After that, I'll alter them, tempered with your wisdom, and try them out and see if they work despite starting life as laughable. At this point it should be fairly easy to decide whether or not the resulting parts are worth cutting and casting in multiplicate, perhaps for a small run of them. I'm pretty sure this is NOT the correct forum for sales, but that's getting waaaay in front of the cart. This thread is for the planning and build discussion. Parts of this project may even require collaboration.

Here's the plan as it exists in my head.

Cut crescent plate/tray from thick ABS sheet, as I have no way to cut metal. If the first one works out nicely we can get a small stack of these CNC cut for kits if there's demand.

Use first cut crescent as guide to cut guides for smoothly positioning link chain for freezing in-place to form the upper and lower borders of the crescent plate (see attached image) using probably super glue and baking soda. This chain-link border is represented as a zig-zag pattern on the plastic one that Kathy Pillsbury makes, and possibly on the real things if they still exist, but I think the chain link makes a sensible shortcut for adding a visual approximation of these border details.

Sculpey to make the dangly parts until I get some that look accurate. Bake those and hopefully someone here can replicate them in resin.

I intend to find a hemispherical cut carneian cabochon and make or buy a small sliver ring to encircle the cabochon setting.

Reasonable stand-ins for the other radial/floral greeblies which flank the cabochon, presumably representing the colonies, should be easily found in craft stores and hot-glued to the crescent before any base coats and subsequent masking, detailing and weathering.

They say a thing is easier said than done, and I have made it sound easy to my foolish brain. That's how I know it's not going to be, but at least for the moment this whole plan seems sound to me despite my trepidations arising from being a rather unserious maker.

I'm going to attach an image. I don't know its source. It's someone's attempt to make a fairly close match, proportionally, to the medallions used on the show, but I think it's more likely that it is simply another example of a Persian/Iranian/Etruscan or "Egyptian revival" Nassim bib necklace of a very similar style with a few obvious differences.

I intend to take some inspiration from this design while keeping other details as true to the original screen-used props as possible, depending on the final quality of my sculpted pieces.
Attachments
il_680x540.png

Flerndip
Centurion

Re: PROJECT: scratch-built Warrior Dress Medallion

Post by Flerndip » Sat Dec 31, 2022 12:50 am

Ok, so that's the scratch-built plan. But here is an alternate plan that involves using found jewelry-making parts to kit-bash together something in roughly the same proportions and style with minor differences that to the imagination might be attributable to an officer being decorated by a different colonial planet or fleet or command, following from the basic assumption that these are meant to be a sort of military decoration. Accepting that, it is reasonable that minor variations might be common in warrior dress medallions throughout the greater colonial fleet before the attack that brought the everyone surviving together under the Galactica's protection.

I picked up a few things on space Etsy. I guess I'll be looking tomorrow in local craft stores for some jewel crafting tools. I think I'll be needing more poly clay to do the main connector pendant. I got a 16mm round flat-backed carnelian cabochon to hot glue to the center and a metal ring around the base of it to hide... things. I'm still planning to sculpt the thing from scratch but if I can kit-bash together something passable to wear in the meantime I think that's o-kay.

I believe this thing is not meant to be gold at all but more of an antique bronze despite what the white paper (page 30) says. I think the rhomboid links are going to be too small but they're also the wrong color metal so they'd have to be painted anyway, and ultimately replaced by the sculpted connectors. I wonder if rub-n-buff can be sealed and made permanent?
Attachments
il_794xN.png
il_1140xN.886016704_kt3r.jpg
il_1140xN.1029418125_qbp5.jpg
il_1140xN.2165155128_as29.jpg
icm_fullxfull.507057846_q2yz3dl9rf4848ockg84.jpg

bishopdonmiguel
Phalanx Leader

Post by bishopdonmiguel » Sun Jan 01, 2023 10:52 am

Watching with enthusiasm.

If you can locate ready made parts, you might consider using brass sheet for the bib. All metal would certainly be more resilient than ABS/resin.

If you do end up with resin, adding brass powder can result in pieces that look very similar to their metal counterparts.

Flerndip
Centurion

Post by Flerndip » Fri Jan 06, 2023 6:51 pm

I am still fiddling with various stand-in jewelry parts to cobble together an interim understudy for the prop, and I do still plan to go nuts with the Sculpey and tools I picked up, the ultimate plan has turned to hiring a 3D modeler to produce an accurate replica in paintable gray resin with a flat-backed socket left open for the orange cabochon centerpiece. I think a real stone will be cheaper than its weight in gray liquid resin, and easy enough to find.

Also I don't think Katarra8's sculpt is actually made from a screen-used prop. She has never made such a claim as far as I am aware, but I had made the assumption at some point, but the closer I examine the high-res promotional shots of Apollo with Serina, I can see differences. For example the zig-zag top and bottom border decorations on the main medallion seem to actually be more of a repeating square wave pattern on Apollo's actual prop, leading me to believe that Katarra8 based her own sculpt on the line diagram, which I assume comes from the BSG Blueprint set but correct me if I'm wrong.

So yeah, the plan is to make these available. I'm having the same shop print up the prototypes and I plan to invest in an Anycubic Photon D2 or Elegoo Saturn 2 to start producing them for anyone who, like me, has been unable to complete this costume without one.

One other item of interest is the necessary discusson on what sort of metallic finish this prop actually has. I have seen it described as antique gold and others have told me it's more of an antique bronze or dirty brass and not having a definitive answer is irritating and being a bit colorblind doesn't make matters any easier. Anyone care to weigh in on that count? :salute:
Attachments
square_wave_pattern.png

137th Gebirg
Flight Leader

Post by 137th Gebirg » Sat Jan 07, 2023 12:09 pm

I would agree with the antique gold finish. There’s also the version that Apollo wore for his wedding to Serena. It’s painted pure silver, without any antiquing, and with slightly different details than the gold ones.
I may appear unoccupied to you, but at the molecular level, I'm really quite busy.

Flerndip
Centurion

Post by Flerndip » Sat Jan 07, 2023 12:21 pm

Yep, and that silver version features pendants that look a lot more like the sort of Etruscan coins that more commonly adorn these types of necklaces, rather than the heavier-looking parts of the "gold" variant. I'm about to pull the trigger on the custom sculpt and if the gold version turns out well I intend to repeat the process and produce a necklace inspired by Apollo's silver bridge-blues necklace. These will be based on the promo photos and not on details from the diagram or Katarra8's sculpt. She uses the same sculpt interchangeably with different paint and a different color cabochon, which I'm sure serves most people's needs, if they can get one that is. But I would prefer to make one that is as accurate as possible.
Attachments
Captain_Apollo_Promo_41.jpg

bishopdonmiguel
Phalanx Leader

Post by bishopdonmiguel » Sun Jan 08, 2023 5:44 am

For purposes of completeness for potential screen shots, the 2 designs are seen in SOASW in gold. I’d guess one of those “coin” variants was painted silver and used by Apollo in LPOTG. Later, in “Take The Celestra,” Col. Tigh wears Apollo’s silver while Lt. Sheba wears the gold “coin” version.

Flerndip
Centurion

Post by Flerndip » Sun Jan 08, 2023 12:25 pm

It makes me wonder how many actual props they bought for this purpose, since I don't think they built any, instead just using what was available to their Los Angeles flea-market runners. It boggles the mind to think that somewhere our there are probably at least 3 variations of these originals, perhaps in a box in someone's garage. It makes me wonder about the nameless artisan whose work they snapped up for its visual compatibility with the show's under-arching ancient-Egyptian design theme. I've seen more recognizable props from this show appear in auctions from time to time but I've never seen something as obscure as one of these medallions breach the surface.

So are you saying that there's a silver medallion version that is more like a silver painted version of the most commonly seen chunkier gold warrior medallion, as well as the thin-coiny version from Apollo's dress blues?

Depending on the results of the gold medallion prototyping, I don't see why we can't shoot for the moon and produce medallions inspired by each screen-used version. The more common warrior's "gold" edition followed by each of the two silver versions. Toward that end it would be nice to have better visual reference for the engraved/stamped details on the coiny version. This might require research into the most commonly used coin-shaped pendants in these tribal necklaces if we can't find enough visual reference from show and promo stills. I do think these references will be easier to find than more detailed show-stills.

Flerndip
Centurion

Post by Flerndip » Mon Jan 09, 2023 6:21 pm

Well, it's getting real. I just heard back from the 3D shop that I intend to commission to model this necklace in sharp detail for 8k resolution liquid resin printing. We're doing the gold warrior's dress medallion first, as it's the one I'm trying to complete a costume with, and because we will need a prototype upon which to nail down the design rules to reproduce them in a finished fully-assembled "deluxe" version as well as an unpainted DIY kit. For those interested in the DIY kit we are planning to use black resin to make the antique bronze/gold highlights easy to achieve with dry brushing, and the shop is cognizant of the usefulness of nice deep engravings when the time to paint rolls around. They will be designed with this in mind. Should make for a fairly painless kit to DIY. The "deluxe" version is to be based on the prototype prints, fully painted and weathered as called for by the type of finish, and assembled with real wire linking rings and chain to match the metallic finish of the prop. There was some discussion about a fully articulated necklace right out of the printer, but as cool as that would be, I just don't see resin replacing the wire linking rings or the metallic chains. Just too fine for that, in my opinion.

So everything hinges on the prototype, which in any case will at least do me for completing my warrior dress uniform costume, the thing that led to all this in the first place. But since we've come this far, I intend to see this through and make available the resulting costuming prop for those interested in buying them. Depending on the success of the first "antique gold" version and the level of demand, I am planning tentatively to repeat the entire process with the other two known variants: the silver version of the gold necklace and the "Etruscan-coiny" silver version that Apollo has worn with his blues.

I haven't even looked yet to see where I should post the official gear sign-up thread but feel free to reply here or by DM if you want to signal your early interest if and when these become available.

I'm going to end this post with some helpful reference images that the shop sent me when we were discussing the finish on the "gold" version.
Attachments
icm_fullxfull.510843152_trutrhytj0g0wc4kg0o4.jpg
icm_fullxfull.515096713_flpdinj1kv4ggc4oggo0.jpg
icm_fullxfull.png

Flerndip
Centurion

Post by Flerndip » Wed Jan 11, 2023 11:01 pm

This is the best image I've found so far of the details on the medallion. The little floral elements perhaps representing the colonies. I like to imagine that Caprica is the one on the arched bit atop the crescent, with the star Kobol represented by the cloudy orange cabochon, very visible in this image. What else I found in this picture was the answer to a mystery that had been plaguing me. Namely, how do the upper and lower chains work and how does it attach to the costume, and here it's plain to see that the answer is SAFETY PINS I guess through the collar piping, and there's ONLY ONE CHAIN. The chain links seem just open enough to easily pin through multiple links and arrest any tendency to slide. So there we have it. If you know of any images with a more detailed look at the front of this medallion, I would love to show them to the 3D designer who is modeling this replica for ultra-fine DLP printing.
Attachments
gettyimages-168802647-2048x2048-(1).png
gold medallion chain and safety pin, medallion front detail

Cylon-Knight
Site Administrator

Post by Cylon-Knight » Thu Jan 19, 2023 7:06 pm

Safety pins for their best dress...
..and we STILL can't find one massive ship followed by a fleet of clunkers!?

:erk: :soapbox: :erk:
C'mon you guys!
:IL: :cylon: :cylongold: :cylon:

P.S. Loving this build though, EXCELLENT project!
"All Baseships are now in range to attack the Colonies."

Flerndip
Centurion

Post by Flerndip » Wed Jan 25, 2023 9:58 pm

The latest on this:

kit-bash is shelved for lack of stand-in parts in the right scale

sculpey version is waiting for the work space to be set up but this version is for my own amusement

ultra-fine detail 3d DLP resin print: This is the goal and it turned out to be the best approach. Unfortunately, Maria, who is doing the 3D modeling, has come down with the COVID so just as she was about to unveil her model for approval before printing the prototypes, this happens. I hope she has a mild time of it and doesn't die. Hopefully we'll pick this up again in a couple of weeks and get to see some prints to put paint on.

Flerndip
Centurion

Post by Flerndip » Sat May 20, 2023 7:20 am

It's a sad day, in that today I must pull the plug on the 3D modelling commission, as the artist I hired has suffered a number of life setbacks and I no longer believe her capable of completing the project. She got as far as a detailed drawing of the medallion but never got around to the NURBS modelling of the geometry, and so it never got to a form that could be printed. Hopefully she will sell me just the drawing that she did complete so it can be used in picking up where the project left off. :sad:

I meant to post an update sooner but last time I was on here there were issues with the forums that now seem to be resolved.

Meanwhile I was able to buy two resin cast medallions from Katarra8, her slightly oversized Adama and 9th Lord of Kobol castings but not the Warrior medallion I need to complete this infernal costume.

And so the quest continues, as it may come down to sculpy again. *sigh* :ugh:

Flerndip
Centurion

Post by Flerndip » Sun Jun 25, 2023 1:40 pm

Update:

This seemingly endless quest is still ongoing, but there have been some developments. The 3D modeler in Canada that I had hired to produce a printable warrior medallion ended up defaulting on everything and has not been heard-from in months, and all I got from her was her initial drawing of the necklace, from which I hope to extrude something printable on the resin printers, for which the custom resin vat heaters I ordered from a guy in Finland finally arrived, so that adventure is about to begin.

Suspected Cylon and prolific Etsy seller Kathy Pillsbury seems to have finally relented and sold me one of her cast polystyrene necklaces, so we'll hopefully see in a week how good it is. From what I have seen it looks pretty good, and you can't beat an under-$30 price tag, but I would have paid her the $500 I offered in desperation had she taken me up on it, and I'm not rich. That's a lot of money, but I cannot stand having a costume that I cannot wear.

Getting down to the measurements of this drawing I got from the artist in Canada, this thing is only a bit over 4 inches in width, so I'm re-examining those jewelry parts I picked up, as some of them might actually make a more convincing adaptation than I initially gave them credit for, and I still intend to wire some of these parts together and see how it looks. I'm starting to suspect that it won't look bad but all the metal finishes are different so will need to be unified with metallic paint.

In a related thread, I received the custom Colonial Warrior dress uniform boots I had custom made and the seller went out of business but I was one of their last customers to get what they ordered it seems, and the boots look great. I can recommend this guy even though he has had recent problems on Etsy due to an injury, he was as good as his word and got me the boots. It took over a year but they're custom made from dubious screenshots from the show, so pretty impressive if you ask me. If we could get some custom pop-buckles cast in real metal I bet this guy could make a Full Bore knockoff that would fool the eye sufficiently.

I will keep this thread updated to the end.
Attachments
Galactica Necklace Antique Gold Replica Color.png
FzK3Z99WIAEmDmd.jpg
il_1140xN.438792192_alch.jpg

Flerndip
Centurion

Post by Flerndip » Sat Jul 01, 2023 11:37 pm

UPDATE: Having been completely ghosted by the Etsy seller in Canada who was to 3d model the printable medallion, and ultimately getting refunded the money by PayPal after getting the finger from Etsy.

Long story short, suspected Cylon Katarra8 relented and sold me one of hers. It's not bad! Like her other sculpts I've seen, e.g. Adama's medallion etc, it seems slightly larger than it would need to be in order to match the close-up frontal shots of Starbuck or Apollo in dress uniform, but not so much larger that it won't work fine.

I'm not giving up on my own versions of this, both the baked sculpy and cheap jewelry kitbash versions are still going ahead, as well as a 3d printed version. I built a whole resin printing, model-building and airbrushing shop around this project so that's not going away.

Anyway here's Kathy Pillsbury's version. What do you think?
Attachments
Fz_AiGEXoAE5_H-.jpg
Fz_AiUQWYAAwEry.jpg
Fz_AinmWwAI3_dd.jpg
Fz_Ai-zX0AUnl1B.jpg

Return to “Classic Battlestar Props and Costumes”