Hello everyone, from freezing cold Michigan

Tell us about yourself. Post about yourself, your collection, builds or what you hope to collect, build.
dream_warrior
Spare Parts

Hello everyone, from freezing cold Michigan

Post by dream_warrior » Tue Feb 09, 2021 4:48 pm

Excited to have found this site! I watched my first episodes of Galactica 1980 as a 8 year old kid and was just totally blown away by the whole series and its concept. This led me to the original show which I just absolutely loved. I am just now getting back into things as an adult as far as this hobby goes.
I am mainly interested in building an IL-series head (robots with emotions are always amazing) and integrate it with my Alexa and Arduino boards (the led patterns syncing with speech in both the mouth and the brain part of the head). I am going for something very close to the original version of specter with the red/silver lined collar. I want to include a mode where it syncs itself to music playing and gives a bit of a light show. I am not worried at all in getting the electronics to work, its more the plastics I am worried about.

I am blown away by how much info there is on this site. Absolutely amazing and a testament to the people who run it. I was looking at the original still frames and would love to get involved in some model building with integrated leds for launch bays, internals, engine bays etc.

Last thing I want to start looking at is getting my hands on some of the old 1980s books. As a kid I found one , watched the episode and reading the book was just *so* exciting. As a child, the cylons were quite scary at times.

Looking forward to checking out the whole site! Thanks everyone. :IL:

Cheers!

Cylon-Knight
Site Administrator

Re: Hello everyone, from freezing cold Michigan

Post by Cylon-Knight » Fri Feb 12, 2021 7:55 pm

Hello dream_warrior, and welcome aboard the Basestar! Glad to have you here.

Your I.L. Series sounds like a wonderful project! What a great thing to have around and all the lights in various modes - exciting idea. Be sure to start a build thread on that. You can even start one with just your ideas and such, make yourself a road map and then at the end come back and reminisce how it ended vs started.

Somewhere I had a papercraft model of the I.L. head, it has SO MANY tiny bits to it :shock:. Sculpting it by hand or even a having a 3D print would be a faster start, I think.

I recently got an Arduino starter kit and am watching YouTube videos to learn about it. SO COOL. I'll watch your build ready to learn some electronics.

Enjoy the site - post often - and if you've not seen our gallery yet, be sure to check it out.
https://www.byyourcommand.net/cylongallery/

:byyourcommand:
"All Baseships are now in range to attack the Colonies."

Specter
Raider Pilot
Location: Quadrant Alpha, 19,000,000 sectars by Epsilon vector 22

Post by Specter » Fri Feb 19, 2021 9:42 am

Greetings, dream_warrior! :salute:
"Eternal perfection and order is the goal of the Cylon Empire."
- Group Leader Cyrus

GoldCylon
Founder

Post by GoldCylon » Thu Mar 04, 2021 9:22 am

Welcome on board and it seems like you found Ice Planet Zero pt 2 : We Gotta Find Earth :lol:

Return to “Say Hi”