Galactica Bridge

Anything Classic Galactica that just doesn't fit into the other subjects.
GoldCylon
Founder

Galactica Bridge

Post by GoldCylon » Wed Dec 23, 2020 6:36 pm

The bridge of the Galactica IMHO is one of the best if not the best bridge design ever made. It was very filming friendly with the camera with all the curved sections and large round rotation command platform and large open areas with 4 major entry and exit points on//off the bridge. Not counting a doorway down below. At the time state of the art computers, and electronic test equipment numbering into the 100's if not maybe 1000 pieces mostly Tektronix equipment on loan (in exchange for screen credit) As like a few people I like to freeze the playback of an episode and discover things I never noticed before. Sometimes (talking to myself) I know what that is or I wonder if I can ID it. Well, I found myself drawn more and more to the Tektronix and the overall design of the bridge. I started looking into the real vintage equipment and was able to start to ID by model number some of the equipment. Timing right, and location great I was able to find plenty of sellers of the vintage equipment for sale on eBay. Location is important because of shipping, (100 miles to Silicon Valley) and items were dirt cheap. I was able to pick the equipment that screens accurately in models used on the show. So you ask why are you buying this. One the price was so well cheap it was hard to say no, and I wanted to build a section of the bridge that I could take to Cons for photo ops. My original plan was to build 3 lower-level stations that you would see just under the main view screen. It would be a popular photo-op for BSG and non BSG fans. Anyway, I am getting deep into the weeds here but decided to try to more if not all of the bridge after I was goated on by Black Squad's Mark Todd. (sorry I don't recall his user name) try to take on this task. First up beside keep studying the bridge and the was to take a stab at building a small scale replica. I started this about 4 years ago and it was about a 1/35th scale. It was a bit too small and (fine details were hard to work on) so I moved on over to a larger scale, but before I started on that I had the opportunity to buy an original plan used by Uni. It is the same as the package of prints that were released back in 1978 except a much larger version. It was just a single page of the bridge but it had the readable details over the counter plans just didn't work. So now I have a 1/25th scale plan in hand and off I go. It has been a great learning curve on how to build and how not to build a full-scale bridge also cheaper since 1/25th scale 1/25 the cost on a bad call or cut on the materials. I am also been working with a fellow BYC member that lives nearby that now has me replicating full-sized panel pieces, stations, and other related things like lights, ashtrays, (yeah they used them) first aid kits, fire extinguishers, alarm speakers, labeling, logo art..ect. So what I would like to do is share some of my work in the 1/25th scale of the full sized set pieces. Not posted in any order but things to look at and hopefully enjoy.
Attachments
IMG_0272.JPG
IMG_0195.JPG
PLCW4835.JPG
IMG_0227.JPG
IMG_0241.JPG
ICLS9014.JPG
IMG_0212.JPG
IMG_0186.JPG

Cylon-Knight
Site Administrator

Re: Galactica Bridge

Post by Cylon-Knight » Sat Jan 02, 2021 9:26 pm

:loveit: :loveit: :loveit:
"All Baseships are now in range to attack the Colonies."

GoldCylon
Founder

Post by GoldCylon » Sun Jan 03, 2021 4:44 am

Still working on it is as the filming date is pushed back.
I'll be posting more photos soon.

Jenne
Flight Leader

Post by Jenne » Sun Jan 03, 2021 5:46 am

:loveit:

Jmvgreek1
Patrol Leader

Post by Jmvgreek1 » Tue Mar 07, 2023 9:26 pm

looking great i dont know if it will help but there is a person that has made a 3d replica of the bridge and selling files for his 3d model on cults3d.com website.

GoldCylon
Founder

Post by GoldCylon » Wed Mar 08, 2023 6:59 am

Hi, I helped guide the with a few tips when the project started with reference photos and saw that he had few other minor problems with scaling. He thanked with all the reference files. Over all I think he did a good job.

Return to “Anything Classic Galactica”