Boot Painting.

Tips, tricks, inside secrets, help, sources, items used on making the Cylon Centurion suit to wear. Tell us your story, how you came about collecting your parts to a Centurion, or if you own a complete Centurion costume.
Silver-Cylon
Patrol Member

Boot Painting.

Post by Silver-Cylon » Thu Sep 05, 2019 10:13 am

A quick question if i may, i had to get new boots for the cylon build due to my calves being a tad on the large side, so they arrived the other day and are really nice looking, now the question i would like to ask is, what do you fine folks use when painting them, as i have tried masking tape and as the leather is porous. it doesn't stick too well, so what do you find that works best for this sort of thing, so that i am able to get the silver paint to the sections that need it.

any help would be appreciated.

Thank you in advance of any replies.

Silver-Cylon
Patrol Member

Re: Boot Painting.

Post by Silver-Cylon » Fri Sep 06, 2019 3:40 pm

thought i would post pics up to see what peoples thoughts on them are? would these work for Cylon boots, once modded and painted of course.

Thanks for looking.

:byyourcommand:

itookadooku
Patrol Member

Post by itookadooku » Fri Sep 06, 2019 10:27 pm

Ive been searching for where I read about using clear scotch tape, not sure if it was here. I had problems with painters tape not sticking and someone mentioned scotch tape. I mainly used it for the toe piece because I wanted to get the best lines possible. Everything else I used the painters tape and newspaper to mask with. Hope that helps. Good looking boots btw. :cylon:

Cylon-Knight
Site Administrator

Post by Cylon-Knight » Fri Sep 06, 2019 10:51 pm

Silver-Cylon, those boots look GREAT! They'll be perfect for your Centurion.

As for how... I had no trouble with painters' tape. Photos here: https://www.byyourcommand.net/cylonforu ... 390#p26456

Of course there were a few little bits to touch up, but nothing major. My everlasting problem has actually been transfer. The paint doesn't seem to want to fully cure on the leather... :huh:
"All Baseships are now in range to attack the Colonies."

itookadooku
Patrol Member

Post by itookadooku » Sat Sep 07, 2019 6:25 am

I used the Meltonian Nu-Life Color Spray #423 silver, it has worked great.

Silver-Cylon
Patrol Member

Post by Silver-Cylon » Sat Sep 07, 2019 9:34 am

Cylon-Knight wrote:
Fri Sep 06, 2019 10:51 pm
Silver-Cylon, those boots look GREAT! They'll be perfect for your Centurion.

As for how... I had no trouble with painters' tape. Photos here: https://www.byyourcommand.net/cylonforu ... 390#p26456

Of course there were a few little bits to touch up, but nothing major. My everlasting problem has actually been transfer. The paint doesn't seem to want to fully cure on the leather... :huh:
Thank you for the confirmation on the boots, that's great to know, also thank you both for the masking advice, i shall try different types of painter tape, it might be the brand that i am using isn't too good for what i am trying to do, but i got frog tape and thought that would be the best but i guess not, i found leather paint so i hope that it works out ok, i am going to test it on an old suit case to see how well it looks first before trying the boots,
i shall report back when they are done as i am really wanting to push this on i have had the kit for 3 years or more and not done too much so once the ball is rolling i want to keep it that way.

:cylon: :cylon: :cylon: Thank you once again for the help.

Cylon-Knight
Site Administrator

Post by Cylon-Knight » Wed Sep 18, 2019 11:53 am

No worries, it took me 4 years to get my Centurion done! :oops:
Cylon perfection takes time. ;)
"All Baseships are now in range to attack the Colonies."

Return to “Centurion Builders' Forum”