"Fuel be damned" scene

Discussions about the 1978 TV & Movie series.
Specter
Raider Pilot
Location: Quadrant Alpha, 19,000,000 sectars by Epsilon vector 22

"Fuel be damned" scene

Post by Specter » Tue Jul 09, 2019 10:51 pm

The placement of the "fuel be damned" extra scene in The Living Legend telemovie strikes me as odd. Here is the dialogue:
ADAMA
Tigh, notify all ship captains the Galactica and Pegasus are moving out, leaving them temporarily unguarded.

TIGH
Do we tell them any more than that?

ADAMA
No. Helm, make ready to move. Flank speed, and fuel be damned. We’ve got to make that jump on Gamoray before they can launch.
Now, you'd expect that scene to come before the shuttle launches for Gamoray, because Adama says making the jump is the reason the Galactica is in a hurry to get there. But the telemovie places the scene after the shuttle launch, just before the "How did we ever become so desperate?" scene that immediately precedes the jump.

If the Galactica is high-tailing it to Gamoray for the jump, why did it launch the shuttle while it was still so far away, back with the fleet? Surely the shuttle isn't faster than the Galactica?!

It seems to me the ideal placement for this scene would have been between the locker room scene (Sheba and Starbuck's "side bet") and the launch bay scene where they're boarding the shuttle. Or am I missing something?
:huh:

"Eternal perfection and order is the goal of the Cylon Empire."
- Group Leader Cyrus

Specter
Raider Pilot

Re: "Fuel be damned" scene

Post by Specter » Wed Jul 10, 2019 12:14 pm

I know, right? These are the things I lose sleep over. :blush: :bsglol:
- Group Leader Cyrus

Scott
Raider Gunner

Post by Scott » Wed Jul 10, 2019 4:31 pm

I'm curious as to where the scene is located in the script for the regular episode.

My first guess would be because the smaller shuttle might get in "under the radar" so to speak than a Battlestar approaching.

However, that make's no sense because of Adama's line: We’ve got to make that jump on Gamoray before they can launch. Which gives me the impression that the Galactica is moving close before the launch.

Plus, your observation that surely the shuttle is not faster than the Galactica.

Sadly, I've been no help. I will stop writing now. :byyourcommand:

Specter
Raider Pilot

Post by Specter » Wed Jul 10, 2019 4:52 pm

I think the line is kind of badly written, to be honest. It might have been better to say “They’ve got to make that jump on Gamoray before we can launch.” But that still wouldn’t explain why the Galactica is hurrying at that point, instead of giving the shuttle team more time.
- Group Leader Cyrus

Scott
Raider Gunner

Post by Scott » Thu Jul 11, 2019 3:03 am

I agree.

We need a Lorne Greene synth voice to loop the line so it makes sense.

:evillaugh:

johnnybear
Raider Commander

Post by johnnybear » Sat Jul 13, 2019 2:26 pm

Jehosaphat!!! I'm still needled about the missing scene with the Imperious Leader and the Cylon Centurion to think too hard about this!!! :cylongold:
JB

Hope It Is The Grog
Squadron Leader

Post by Hope It Is The Grog » Fri Jul 19, 2019 8:09 am

I've been working on a fan edit that incorporates a lot of the Mission Galactica material (including that Imperious Leader scene) as well as a few unfinished scenes I've tried to reconstruct. Just waiting for a friend's help on one thing and then it'll probably be done.
"I may move to the command chamber. I'm sure they're talking about me while I'm in here."
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Sufferin ... 2291161676

Specter
Raider Pilot

Post by Specter » Sat Mar 21, 2020 7:10 am

Another thing about “fuel be damned”... to my knowledge, that’s the only time they used a Cylon music cue for a scene on the Galactica. It’s a bit jarring. (I think the cue is called “Imperious Leader and Baltar,” from Lost Planet of the Gods.)
- Group Leader Cyrus

johnnybear
Raider Commander

Post by johnnybear » Mon Apr 20, 2020 4:16 am

I think a few of those scenes were just filmed oddly and the director just didn't know what to do with them at the time of completion! Might explain why he forgot about then Imperious Leader scene! That is the clearest scene we ever get of the Leader in the entire series and they left it out!!!!
JB

Return to “1978 TV Series”