Please help this noob with his helmet!

Tips, tricks, inside secrets, help, sources, items used on making the Cylon Centurion suit to wear. Tell us your story, how you came about collecting your parts to a Centurion, or if you own a complete Centurion costume.
Oxnard Montalvo
Centurion

Please help this noob with his helmet!

Post by Oxnard Montalvo » Fri Nov 23, 2018 7:58 am

Ok... Storytime.

I've had this helmet kit for a few years, I think it's a CORA because when one was sold on here a while back, the pieces shown seemed to be identical to mine. It came with only a painting and finishing guide and no instructions. Most of it seems self explanatory, such as the helmet halves, mouth grille and 'eye'. I've mentioned in another thread that I've found an inexpensive way to 'chrome' it, which gave me the push I needed to fish it out and get started. On doing this I've found a few parts that I have absolutely no idea what to do with. There seems to be another piece to go in the eye section which I can't figure out, and there's a resin 'horseshoe ' that I think is supposed to frame the mouth grille, but it's way too small to go around it.

Here's a photo of all the loose bits (not counting the helmet halves). And if someone could kindly weigh in and tell me where every everything is supposed to go, or point me in the direction of some detailed instructions I will be forever greatful!

Thanks in advance.

Cylon-Knight
Site Administrator

Re: Please help this noob with his helmet!

Post by Cylon-Knight » Fri Nov 23, 2018 10:57 pm

Happy to help out a fellow Centurion!

First the horseshoe. The helmet halves go together. The mouth grill sits in the mouth opening. The horseshoe goes behind the grill. Sandwich the grill with it. It is used to provide more surface area to mount everything with. I myself don't have one. A helmet can be done without.

The other three parts, I am guessing, all three work together for a display helmet (i.e. you won't be wearing it).
Scanner insert (top left of your photo)... the red lens and the other black part (top right of your photo) could all sandwich together with the red lens in the middle. Guessing the wide lip is meant to either sit on top of the scanner inset - or the wide lip goes to the bottom keeping it spaced out, accounting for the tapper of the scanner inset. Then LEDs go behind all that business.

The top right black part is not necessary to be accurate. And the red lens is not 100% needed either, there are many other ways to get the red diffusion. A big plastic bar is just a common kit way to accomplish the task.

If you want to wear the helmet ever I'd say to omit the red lens and top right part. The horseshoe could be helpful, it's up to you.
"All Baseships are now in range to attack the Colonies."

Return to “Centurion Builders' Forum”