#4: The Long Patrol

Discussions about the 1978 TV & Movie series.

What does everyone think of “#4: The Long Patrol"?

Excellent ****
No votes
Very Good ***1/2
40%
Good ***
20%
Average **1/2
No votes
Mediocre **
40%
Poor *1/2
No votes
Awful *
No votes

Total votes: 5

Croft2014
Raider Pilot

#4: The Long Patrol

Post by Croft2014 » Mon Oct 08, 2018 2:11 pm

Not a favourite I'm afraid. On first viewing back in '78 I liked this one but it doesn't holdup to a more adult sensibility. The cod-Irish accents are awful and the concept of generational criminals is not thought out properly. Too broadly comic.

Cylon-Knight
Site Administrator

Re: #4: The Long Patrol

Post by Cylon-Knight » Tue Oct 09, 2018 12:46 pm

Agreed. Less than an amazing episode to me as well. Space Opera!? ... nah, just some booze and a little prison break-out.

It is an odd side story. Nothing much about Cylon chase, location of Earth and so on. I'd imagine these prisons would be known to the Colonies and probably the Cylons. At least they'd come up in the computers when they googled "supplies near me." ;) Odd how they both seem to stumble upon them.

All that said, It does give us C.O.R.A. quite an interesting setup for the future... Knight Rider :sunglasses:
To bad she and the advanced Viper don't return in other episodes. Perhaps they would have been reused in season two.
"All Baseships are now in range to attack the Colonies."

Scott
Raider Gunner

Post by Scott » Thu Oct 25, 2018 9:58 am

I'll give it a "good". Obviously because the the Viper and C.O.R.A., but also because we get to see two older spacecraft (the shuttle and older style Viper) a couple of new planets, and we get to see Apollo with Boomer which I thought was a nice change. Herb Jefferson always was so natural as Boomer, and while he balanced out the character of Starbuck it's cool to see him with the more level headed Apollo.

johnnybear
Raider Commander

Post by johnnybear » Wed Dec 05, 2018 8:32 am

It was a good episode mainly because of seeing the Galactica forge ahead into the new galaxy through the dust cloud that and Tasha (Arlene) Martel as Adultress! I thought it odd that we never saw the prisoners again on the Galactica and wondered where they ended up? Then again it was the 70s and interchangeable episodes were the order of the day! how I miss that style of writing and the like! :wtf:
JB
Last edited by johnnybear on Wed Dec 12, 2018 10:39 am, edited 1 time in total.

Cylon-Knight
Site Administrator

Post by Cylon-Knight » Wed Dec 05, 2018 8:58 pm

Agreed. Episodic television is just so nice. Massive arcs across seasons - and runs! - are a bit much. Don't get me wrong they have their place in telling a story. However, re-watching the series becomes a difficult task as you have to watch THE SERIES. :?
"All Baseships are now in range to attack the Colonies."

johnnybear
Raider Commander

Post by johnnybear » Wed Dec 12, 2018 10:40 am

Well we had the Terra arc in the latter half of the season and Thames TV ignored that completely in their 1980 run and placed The Man With Nine Lives after Greetings From Earth!
JB

Return to “1978 TV Series”