Vacuum Matalising in the UK

Tips, tricks, inside secrets, help, sources, items used on making the Cylon Centurion suit to wear. Tell us your story, how you came about collecting your parts to a Centurion, or if you own a complete Centurion costume.
MackUK
Phalanx Member

Vacuum Matalising in the UK

Post by MackUK » Tue Oct 02, 2018 12:03 pm

So, I've been in contact with 3 metalisers in the UK. One is only 20 miles away from me, so I thought I'd start there first.

No Joy. Apparently they "can't" metalise vacuformed parts unless they're part of the full sheet and not cut as the heat process deforms them.

So I tried another. 3 emails later, nothing back, including a telehone call with no helpful information at all.

I tried one further afield, and the guy explained that they probably wouldn't do it, as the pieces are practically ready to wear with the exeption of them being white, and not chrome because of the releasing agents used on the substrate wouldn't make the aluminium adhere to the surface.

Has anyone in the UK used a metalising company, with the pieces built, and ready to chrome. If so, who did you use? I'm quite peeved at the fact I've spent a lot of time getting the parts ready, but finding someone to do it a bit frustrating.

Hope you can help

Mack

Silver-Cylon
Patrol Member

Re: Vacuum Matalising in the UK

Post by Silver-Cylon » Wed Oct 03, 2018 3:25 am

Hi Mack,
I have seen one member on here, (i think) use this company: https://www.vmclimited.co.uk/ not sure if it's one of the companies that you have tried? but if i remember correctly the thread i saw he used them and had prepped his parts and sent them to that company to chrome.

I have this route to go as well, and i too am in the UK, so it will be interesting to see if they still do it, as i plan on contacting them when i am ready but my armour is fibreglass so not sure how different it will be.

good luck with the search buddy.

Ian ... :cylon:

MackUK
Phalanx Member

Post by MackUK » Wed Oct 03, 2018 11:56 am

Yeah, they were one of the ones I tried. Also I'm literally a few miles away from Chertsey (Where they're based)

I may give them another call in the week see how I get on.

I'll keep you posted.

Mike

Silver-Cylon
Patrol Member

Post by Silver-Cylon » Wed Oct 03, 2018 1:15 pm

Hi Mike,
I looked through the forum and i managed to find the thread i saw with regards to the chroming and cylon build: viewtopic.php?f=7&t=685 if you look on the 2nd page and scroll down to the bottom you see VMC is mentioned, i am not sure if it was a different person who was employed there at the time? but it looked like he got a fair bit of work from them.

I hope that this might help and it maybe worth mentioning to them.

Ian ...

MackUK
Phalanx Member

Post by MackUK » Thu Oct 04, 2018 12:05 pm

Hi Ian

I spoke to them today and Paul Is still there. I explained that his company came "Highly Recommended" by a user here, and explained what I'm after. He's calling me back tomorrow, so hopefully I'll have more information.

It seems if you go right to the top, and you get things done! (he's a director there apparently)

So far so good! :salute:

Silver-Cylon
Patrol Member

Post by Silver-Cylon » Fri Oct 05, 2018 3:00 am

That's Great Mike, i really hope that you get some movement with them as it's a bummer putting in all that work and then no one willing to chrome such an awesome costume, i know how i would feel if they told me NO.

Good luck mate.

Ian....

Ps. if you get anywhere would it be possible to pass on what they charge for the service? just so i know what to expect when mine is ready. Thank you.

MackUK
Phalanx Member

Post by MackUK » Sun Oct 07, 2018 6:32 am

Sure Thing. I'd be delighted to

As soon as I've got the details, I'll let you know. :byyourcommand:

MackUK
Phalanx Member

Post by MackUK » Tue Oct 09, 2018 11:54 am

Ian.

So I got the call back from Paul as promised. I'm going to the factory on the 18th and taking the bits I want metalising with me. He sounds a genuinely nice guy, and don't think anything will be too much trouble for him.

I did ask about cost, and he said he'd be looking at 350-400 quid to do the whole lot, providing all he has to do is his stuff and chuck it in the vacuum chamber. If he needs to do any priming then that'll be extra, but to be fair, Ive done all that myself and he seems good with that.

I'll keep you posted, sounds like we're off on a good start here!

Mike

Silver-Cylon
Patrol Member

Post by Silver-Cylon » Tue Oct 09, 2018 12:22 pm

Hi Mike,
That's a result!! and to be honest i was thinking that it would be about that region with regards to price, so just in the ball park that i was thinking/budgeting for.

I am glad that you are getting some movement and i look forward to seeing your finished pieces.

Best of luck mate.

Kind regards.

Ian ...

Silver-Cylon
Patrol Member

Post by Silver-Cylon » Wed Oct 17, 2018 10:22 am

good luck tomorrow Mike, i look forward to seeing the pics. :cylon: :cylon: :cylon: :byyourcommand:

Oxnard Montalvo
Centurion

Post by Oxnard Montalvo » Thu Nov 08, 2018 8:27 am

I'm just about to get started on my helmet, A CORA kit (which I only found out what it was because an identical kit was sold in the classifieds recently) no doubt I will have plenty of questions as I go along (which I'll post in the relevant threads).

I'm UK based too and also have had no joy when enquiring about chroming.... but as my helmet will be pretty much a display piece with not too much handling required, I think I've come up with a work around....

Molotow liquid chrome. Normally sold in pens, this stuff dries to a mirror finish, but after some research I've found that you can also buy refill bottles which can be applied with no dilution from an airbrush. I've watched various YouTube video demonstrations and it does indeed dry with a true chrome mirror finish. I've yet to find an appropriate topcoat, but it can be applied without, but it does have a super long curing time to stop it dulling when being handled. It's between 20 to 30 quid for a 30ml bottle, but it does go a very long way. It could be anything up to £100 to do an entire set of armour, but that's a fraction of vacuum metalizing.

Cylon-Knight
Site Administrator

Post by Cylon-Knight » Thu Nov 08, 2018 10:33 pm

Very cool idea!
I got two of the markers myself for my Cylon Centurion action figure rework. It'll be interesting to see it on a FULL SIZE Centurion head. :cylon:

Keep us posted!!!
"All Baseships are now in range to attack the Colonies."

MackUK
Phalanx Member

Post by MackUK » Sun Nov 18, 2018 4:50 pm

Greetings.

Sadly, I never got the chance to get to VMC and meet Paul. I've only just returned to the UK, so will give him a call tomorrow and re-arrange a date.

I'll keep you posted!

The molotow kit sounds interesting however for small parts and touch ups. I'd be interested in seeing how this turns out!

Keeps us posted Oxnard. :loveit:

Oh where in the UK are you? I'll be trying to get everyone in the UK together for the next big Con event

Oxnard Montalvo
Centurion

Post by Oxnard Montalvo » Fri Nov 23, 2018 7:14 am

I'm based in Leeds. Haven't had chance to pick up the Molotow yet because of cash flow, but I haven't started the helmet yet so there's no immediate rush. My biggest hurdle to finishing the actual building is how to approach the really heavy and quite rough 'eye' section of the kit. I foresee much sanding in my future!

Return to “Centurion Builders' Forum”