#1: Saga of a Star World

Discussions about the 1978 TV & Movie series.

What does everyone think of “#1: Saga of a Star World”

Excellent ****
100%
Very Good ***1/2
No votes
Good ***
No votes
Average **1/2
No votes
Mediocre **
No votes
Poor *1/2
No votes
Awful *
No votes

Total votes: 8

Croft2014
Raider Pilot

#1: Saga of a Star World

Post by Croft2014 » Sat Sep 15, 2018 5:40 pm

The first and for me the best ever slice of Battlestar Galactica.

I was there September 17th 1978 at 20:00. At the time I lived at 105 Woodside Drive, Penfield New York; a suburb of Rochester New York.

Unfortunately, my parents being Ex-pat Brits were dedicated viewers of PBS’ Masterpiece Theater which aired at 21:00 on Sunday nights so I was only able to see the first hour and because we only had the one TV that was it. I would have my first proper experience of Saga of a Star World via the Marvel Super Special, the large format comic and of course the novelisation by Glen Larson and Robert Thurston.

I would eventually get to see the pilot on the big screen in the 124 minute Sensurround theatical version when it was released in 1979. I didn’t get to see the full 139 minute edit until the 2003 DVD release, which I imported to the UK (we had moved there in 1983). I had seen the 3-part syndication version but that wasn’t the same.

Nothing can beat this first adventure that sets up the whole tale. I’ve seen it more than any other episode and probably more times than most films as well; I watch this at least 2-3 times per year. If I were to be hyper critical I would say that it is a bit pear-shaped in that the first half is generally more compelling than the second. The whole concept of Carillon being a giant hunk of fuel is ludicrous and smacks of writers who had no idea how to properly end it ... and no idea of science.

But, the strength here is in the likeable, well-drawn characters and huge amount of life given to them by the actors. At the time critics and hardcore scifi buffs could do nothing but see the similarities with Star Wars (1977) and the fairly stock origins of the characters and the ludicrous scientific gaffs. At times in the past I’ve been bothered by the bad science and in my youth, dreamed of redoing BG covering all the bases. This has been done with the 2003-09 remake, which it has to said is pound for pound far better written than the old warhourse ever was. But, it hasn’t a fraction of the charm and none of the sense of fun of the 1978-80 classic.

Good performances, great music, decent script, excellent SPFX and an epic, compelling storyline. What more could we ever want and my go-to piece of comfort viewing TV that takes me back to the days when I was 11 and BG was one of the biggest TV events we’d had up to that time.
Last edited by Croft2014 on Thu Mar 18, 2021 2:19 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Cylon-Knight
Site Administrator

Re: #1: Saga of a Star World

Post by Cylon-Knight » Sun Sep 16, 2018 11:10 am

This will get everyone in the proper mood...
Many thanks to our own Hope It's the Grog for this compilation video of BSG promos!

"All Baseships are now in range to attack the Colonies."

Hope It Is The Grog
Squadron Leader

Post by Hope It Is The Grog » Sun Sep 16, 2018 9:23 pm

Cylon-Knight wrote:
Sun Sep 16, 2018 11:10 am
This will get everyone in the proper mood...
Many thanks to our own Hope It's the Grog for this compilation video of BSG promos!

It’s not playing for me on mobile. :ugh: I can view it on PC, but not my phone.

Cylon-Knight
Site Administrator

Post by Cylon-Knight » Mon Sep 17, 2018 12:44 pm

Yeah, I've still got to nail down a single file format that's happy for every device and operating system. They don't make it easy. The forum/gallery don't use complex code to display different file types based on hardware or software like big league sites do. I know the video doesn't like Apple devices at all. Odd about your phone (unless it's an Apple)... it plays on my 4-year-old S5 in Chrome.

Cylon-Knight
Site Administrator

Post by Cylon-Knight » Mon Sep 17, 2018 12:56 pm

Croft2014 wrote:
Sat Sep 15, 2018 5:40 pm
...so I was only able to see the first hour...
Oh no, Croft2014! Your parents really cut you off mid-premier?! That, itself, is pretty epic! :shock: heehee :frack:
...are they Cylons? ;)
Glad you did get to see it soon after.

I totally agree. A viewer is instantly taken away to the Colonies. The characters are so well written and performed you become vested in their tragic situation right away. When poor Zac becomes the first victim of the Cylon onslaught it's edge-of-your-seat adventure!

Mrs. Cylon-Knight, myself and both Cylon Puppies are watching Saga of a Star World TONIGHT!
#HappyBirthdayBSG #FrackingForty

Hope It Is The Grog
Squadron Leader

Post by Hope It Is The Grog » Mon Sep 17, 2018 6:12 pm

Cylon-Knight wrote:
Mon Sep 17, 2018 12:44 pm
Yeah, I've still got to nail down a single file format that's happy for every device and operating system. They don't make it easy. The forum/gallery don't use complex code to display different file types based on hardware or software like big league sites do. I know the video doesn't like Apple devices at all. Odd about your phone (unless it's an Apple)... it plays on my 4-year-old S5 in Chrome.
Yeah, it's an iPhone... deuces.

Croft2014
Raider Pilot

Post by Croft2014 » Sat Sep 22, 2018 12:01 pm

Is this all we’re going to get each week ... three voters?

Croft2014
Raider Pilot

Post by Croft2014 » Mon Sep 24, 2018 1:39 pm

Cylon-Knight wrote:
Mon Sep 17, 2018 12:56 pm
Oh no, Croft2014! Your parents really cut you off mid-premier?! That, itself, is pretty epic! :shock: heehee :frack:
...are they Cylons? ;)
Glad you did get to see it soon after.

I totally agree. A viewer is instantly taken away to the Colonies. The characters are so well written and performed you become vested in their tragic situation right away. When poor Zac becomes the first victim of the Cylon onslaught it's edge-of-your-seat adventure!

Mrs. Cylon-Knight, myself and both Cylon Puppies are watching Saga of a Star World TONIGHT!
#HappyBirthdayBSG #FrackingForty
Yeah, it was a tough hit at the time. My friend Bob got to see the whole thing so I had to just make do with the comic and the novel.

Cylon-Knight
Site Administrator

Post by Cylon-Knight » Mon Sep 24, 2018 1:41 pm

Could be just a few for now, yeah. Everyone is come and go infrequently and lean toward certain areas.
We need to press on still, they can always vote later on after the 40 year celebration or I'll ban them! heehee... just kidding... MAYBE?! :shock: ;)

johnnybear
Raider Commander

Post by johnnybear » Thu Sep 27, 2018 2:44 pm

I didn't get to see it until Sept 1980 on Thames TV here in the UK! And it was split into three parts as well! I became obsessed with the show after reading the Starlog episode guide in 1979 and knew I had to see it.... :wink:
JB

Croft2014
Raider Pilot

Post by Croft2014 » Wed Nov 21, 2018 1:42 pm

This continues to be disappointing; we've had 191 views but only 6 people have voted. :(

Cylon-Knight
Site Administrator

Post by Cylon-Knight » Thu Nov 22, 2018 6:54 am

Views can come from guests who can't vote. Also, apparently members using TapaTalk vs the actual phpbb forum don't see the poll as I understand. Everything is up to date, I'll have to see if support for polls is in the works with them, super odd it apparently is glossed over. :?

It'll take time, but the votes will trickle in.

johnnybear
Raider Commander

Post by johnnybear » Thu Dec 06, 2018 2:23 am

I've always wondered where people migrate to? I used to frequent a Space 1999 site which is absolutely stone dead and apart from me no one has posted anything there since 2014 or even 2011!!!
JB

Cylon-Knight
Site Administrator

Post by Cylon-Knight » Thu Dec 06, 2018 1:00 pm

Very true. Members typically join, burn brightly in a frenzy of posts then fade out, never to return. Some may complete their build(s) or sell them and move on, etc. BUT - Battlestar Galactica remains and is so fun to talk about! I'm happy we do have some dedicated, long-term members who still visit, great times and great friends!

We have many areas, Doctor Who, SAAB, Star Wars, RoboCop, Buck Rogers, etc. ;) So...
Post often and enjoy the site.
And...
:CK:

Croft2014
Raider Pilot

Post by Croft2014 » Thu Dec 06, 2018 5:42 pm

I just love the show, collect the episodes and the odd book. Not at all interested in cosplay, fan fiction etc.

I'd love to see a brand new restoration of the classic series (1978-80) in which it was scanned off the OCNs at 8K resolution with a possible 4K UHD release. I'd love all of the SPFX to be rebuilt and recomposited in the digital realm to eliminate garbage mattes and other ragged flaws of production. No new CGI, just the original effects made to look as good as they can be. I'd also like to see the previews of next week's episode restored, like the one at the end of Saga of a Star World for The Lost Planet of the Gods.
Last edited by Croft2014 on Mon Sep 23, 2019 4:06 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Return to “1978 TV Series”