Battlestar Galactica Colonial Viper appears in Airwolf...

Discussions about the 1978 TV & Movie series.
Galactifan
Flight Leader

Battlestar Galactica Colonial Viper appears in Airwolf...

Post by Galactifan » Wed Apr 18, 2007 10:33 pm

The Battlestar Galactica Colonial Viper appears in the Airwolf episode "Santini's Millions" at 24 minutes and 17 seconds right after Dom emergency lands his helicopter. The Viper can be clearly seen in the foreground. Here's a screen grab I made for all to see...

GoldCylon
Founder

Post by GoldCylon » Wed Apr 18, 2007 11:53 pm

I heard about that, but I don't have the DVDs of Airwolf, thanks for the posting, and the Galactica 1980 canopy photos to look at. Odd thing that those few minor clips are some of the better photos I have seen of the VIper before.

Galactifan
Flight Leader

Post by Galactifan » Thu Apr 19, 2007 12:49 am

The entire Viper scene lasted only 3 seconds. They never showed the complete Viper just a slow moving camera pan from left to right of the canopy area. I suppose, the Viper wasn't the star of Airwolf, so it didn't get a full screen viewing.

GoldCylon
Founder

Post by GoldCylon » Thu Apr 19, 2007 8:27 am

Did you nose the nose section is broken off. This photo here you can tell it is missing, also an other photo clearly shows the nose missing.

Galactifan
Flight Leader

Post by Galactifan » Fri Apr 20, 2007 2:33 am

Actually, the more I look at the picture the more I think the nose section is on upside-down! The landing gear leg is down (or pointing up in the picture) and you can clearly see the landing gear doors...on the top side. The lower skid is missing from the gear.

GoldCylon
Founder

Post by GoldCylon » Fri Apr 20, 2007 8:10 am

WoW now I didn't notice that, but I was wondering at first what that was, like something extra they tossed on top of the nose. Clearly a broken Viper.

CoolCylon
Patrol Member

Post by CoolCylon » Sun May 20, 2007 5:20 pm

Now that is a Cool find, and a good eye
Group 3 Section 1, 7 and 2, 8 arm and attack Atlantia

Starbuck
Raider Gunner

Post by Starbuck » Fri Jun 20, 2008 6:49 pm

Wow! As many times as I've watched that show, I don't remember seeing that ever.

GoldCylon
Founder

Post by GoldCylon » Sat Jun 21, 2008 3:22 am

Todays DVD's let us go back and collect these cool clips that VHS never did justice. Thanks to Galactica Fan for the grabs

SiR-ROUND

Post by SiR-ROUND » Tue Jun 24, 2008 1:37 am

So proprecycling?

:roll:

Starbuck
Raider Gunner

Post by Starbuck » Fri Aug 22, 2008 1:21 am

Lol!, SiR-Round!! Yes and probably saved Universal a lot of money just like the fake Jet Ranger crash seen in "Just My Bill" in Knight Rider.

SiR-ROUND

Post by SiR-ROUND » Fri Aug 22, 2008 3:03 am

Crazy stuff. Who figures out what to re use?

Many props have been used more than once back then. Is it still the case?

GoldCylon
Founder

Post by GoldCylon » Fri Aug 22, 2008 8:24 am

Reusing a prop is the life of a prop. It is used in most cases for the resign it was made or designed for then if a larger piece placed in the back lot of the studio where it sits and rots till it is need again, and then it is fixed, repainted, and used again. Or in the cases of the Viper it is clear it is in very poor shape so it is used a piece of wreckage in a crash site. It was a few years after this above photos were taken that the big fire burned up a lot of things in that fire, and the Viper was most likely a victim of that fire. It was never seen again

Cylon-Knight
Site Administrator

Post by Cylon-Knight » Fri Aug 22, 2008 9:22 pm

Okay, so, what was a Viper doing in Airwolf? I know that it wasn't a "Viper" as in "Space fighter to blow'd up Cylons with".... what was the point of the prop being in the Airwolf show? Was it suppost to be some other advanced craft that Airwolf was trying to beat/or defend ???
"All Baseships are now in range to attack the Colonies."

Starbuck
Raider Gunner

"Santini's Millions"

Post by Starbuck » Sun Aug 24, 2008 10:47 pm

If I remember correctly, A wealthy person's plane crashes and Dom happens by. From what I remember it was nothing fancy, just something like a Lear Jet 45. I assume that the people who decided to use the old viper prop in this episode hoped that noone would recognize it, as they just needed a "quick and cheap" crash scene. It may have been Don Belasario's idea, since he was directly involved with Galactica and Airwolf. But no, it was not some futuristic aircraft that AirWolf had to battle.

Return to “1978 TV Series”