Mysterious "golden Raider"

Discussions about the 1978 TV & Movie series.
Red Eye
Cylon Empire VIP & BYC.net Gallery Admin

Mysterious "golden Raider"

Post by Red Eye » Thu Mar 08, 2007 11:13 am

Here's a topic that concerned me for a long time:

The last ship on the right in this Raider formation seems to have a golden coloring.

So what's the reason for this?

Should it represent some kind of flight leader or something?

Or is it just a mistake made by the special-effects guys?

Any suggestions???

GoldCylon
Founder

Post by GoldCylon » Thu Mar 08, 2007 10:37 pm

I have notice the gold Raider before, and have thought of it as some type of commander ship like Vulpa or some other type of group leader. I don't think the ship was tinted gold in real life, but on film only. Just a guess, if anyone else has any other ideas it would be great to hear them.

Red Eye
Cylon Empire VIP & BYC.net Gallery Admin

Post by Red Eye » Tue Jan 15, 2008 10:58 am

Golden Raider update:

http://images.kodakgallery.com/photos44 ... _0_ALB.jpg

Thanks to Bishop37 on youtube.com, who'd uploaded the intro for the third cinema-released Galactica-movie called "Conquest of the Earth", which is giving the golden Raider more screentime than anwhere else in the entire original series.

Check it for yourselves here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3abJQ9bIk6U (watch closely at 1:35 for the golden Raider's appearance).

And, I've made a rediscovery as well...

In the first part of the pilot-movie "Saga of a Star World", there's also an appearance of the golden Raider.

At 25:50, after the first two ships passed and swooping down to the city, the third one turning gold for very few seconds. You might need to play it in slow-motion to get a clear look at it.

As an evidence look at the original DVD-screencap:

Last edited by Red Eye on Fri Jan 18, 2008 5:32 am, edited 2 times in total.

GoldCylon
Founder

Post by GoldCylon » Tue Jan 15, 2008 11:15 am

I have seen the gold colored Raider since 1978, but some reason it just never clicked. It was just a flash on the screen to me. I did notice while watch the new DVD Galactica 1980 the gold Raider did return with more film footage. A visual effect that for one reason or an other was never brought up verbally in the dialog in BSG. I am sure if it was important for one reason or an other Glen Larson would have brought it up in one of the episodes. Maybe just one of things in the back of his mind to play with at a later date and time, but it slipped away when the show ended.
On an other note it could have been brought back with verbal detail in the Razor movie that just aired last month if Glen wanted to revel more about that gold Raider, if it was some easter egg type of thing from 78.
Again thanks for the find, and the screen caps, just photo gallery problems are preventing me from posting the photos at the moment.

Return to “1978 TV Series”