Hello, I'm Scottish ;)

Tell us about yourself. Post about yourself, your collection, builds or what you hope to collect, build.
parus_ater
Centurion

Hello, I'm Scottish ;)

Post by parus_ater » Mon Nov 18, 2013 4:29 am

Hi, I'm James and I'm taking on a bazooka joe pdf helmet and trying a bit of fibre glassing.

Cylon-Knight
Site Administrator

Re: Hello, I'm Scottish ;)

Post by Cylon-Knight » Mon Nov 18, 2013 6:00 pm

Hello and welcome, James!
Glad to have you join up. Be sure to post up some photos of your project, sounds very cool. Are you going to add an eye scanner?
"All Baseships are now in range to attack the Colonies."

GoldCylon
Founder

Post by GoldCylon » Mon Nov 18, 2013 8:13 pm

Welcome on board That Bazooka Joe helmet has become a popular helmet. Good luck with your build, and can't wait to see some photo's :cylongold:

parus_ater
Centurion

Post by parus_ater » Tue Nov 19, 2013 3:56 am

Cheers. chaps!

Aye, it does seem to be a good shape. I've made one out of 80GSM paper to get a size estimate to see if it's up to my head and doesn't look that bad.
This will be the first time I've fibreglassed anything but I've worked with clay and epoxy putty before so I should hopefully be up to it.

Yeah, I've got a few options for the eye so I will be doing that and I've a few leads on home chroming so all in all I hopefully will come up with something decent looking. My plan is to do two at the same time as well, all goes well I may move onto neck and chest.

Red Eye
Cylon Empire VIP & BYC.net Gallery Admin

Post by Red Eye » Tue Nov 19, 2013 9:53 am

Welcome aboard the Basestar!

Can't wait to read more on your project.

Good luck with it!
"There can be no survivors. So long as one human remains alive the Alliance is threatened."

parus_ater
Centurion

Post by parus_ater » Tue Nov 19, 2013 4:18 pm

Cheers, fella! I'll try not to disappoint.

parus_ater
Centurion

Post by parus_ater » Sun Dec 01, 2013 3:04 pm

Hey guys, still here!

I've been working on building the card parts and the helmet doesn't look too far off original in shape. It's certainly there in spirit but the key points of not are the brow furrow not coming into a narrow as much and jutting more than the nose area and the mohawk being too much of a consistent width towards the eyes. The jaw also comes to a meeting too far to the rear.
The last two I think I'll live with but I will be doing something about the furrow. Not sure what as yet but it will likely happen after I fibreglass it.
Not at all a bad model and I think will work out fine. Impressive since it's not intended to have this done.

parus_ater
Centurion

Post by parus_ater » Fri Dec 06, 2013 5:56 pm

More unsolicited updates.

I've been playing around and the best option seems to be glassing the piece as per instructions as a card kit with a front grill former in place and filling the scanner brows from the back with putty and reforming the furrow from the front, likely with a dremel tool. Fixing one side first and then making templates to flip over for the other side.

Cylon-Knight
Site Administrator

Post by Cylon-Knight » Sun Dec 08, 2013 9:39 pm

We love updates! Keep them coming please. Happy to learn from and help (as we can) others builds.
"All Baseships are now in range to attack the Colonies."

parus_ater
Centurion

Post by parus_ater » Mon Dec 09, 2013 4:38 am

Cool, Once I move past having a unglassed card head I'll move over to the build section with pictures since what I have there's millions of pictures of that on the web already.

Return to “Say Hi”