My modded Krop

Tips, tricks, inside secrets, help, sources, items used on making the Cylon Centurion suit to wear. Tell us your story, how you came about collecting your parts to a Centurion, or if you own a complete Centurion costume.
GoldCylon
Founder

Re: My modded Krop

Post by GoldCylon » Sun Sep 01, 2013 9:43 am

While at GalactiCon 3 in Dallas last May one of the best model builders (Robert LePine) around made a on the fly adjustment to one of the Krop Cylon backpacks. He used glue I supplied, and a few Styrene "L's" he fashioned, and bammm. The Cylon wasn't in self choke mode anymore, and did give that menacing look back to the raise back to the armour piece. That is something to think about so you don't need to cut or slice the plastic especially if you don't have the ability or resources to repair the section you cut.

Cylon-Knight
Site Administrator

Post by Cylon-Knight » Sun Sep 01, 2013 10:09 am

Robert must be the best, since G3 was in Houston... ;)
<snort>
"All Baseships are now in range to attack the Colonies."

Omega Red
Phalanx Leader

Post by Omega Red » Sun Sep 01, 2013 10:10 am

@GoldCylon cool! Where can I get the styrene L's and how do I mod it? I'm a complete noob at this. I'll probably need some hand holding on the process but I'm willing to give it a try. I just need the instructions on how to! I'm ready : )

GoldCylon
Founder

Post by GoldCylon » Sun Sep 01, 2013 10:17 am

Omega Red wrote:@GoldCylon cool! Where can I get the styrene L's and how do I mod it? I'm a complete noob at this. I'll probably need some hand holding on the process but I'm willing to give it a try. I just need the instructions on how to! I'm ready : )
The "L's" you will need to make yourself. No kits at all. Just cut to fit over your left, and right shoulder, and then adjust to kick the back of the backpack up, and lean the chin plate down. Once you have the adjust made the way you like then you need to glue into the desired spot, and then brace it. If if doesn't fit the way you hoped it would you can break or cut the "L's" off, and adjust as needed.

Omega Red
Phalanx Leader

Post by Omega Red » Sun Sep 01, 2013 11:05 am

I'm completely clueless on how to start. Would I be forming Ls starting from a sheet of styrene bought from a local HomeDepot? I've never used this stuff. Is there a special tool to cut? I assume the back packs are standard in size , what are the dimensions of the L I could start with then trim down from? ....I'm sorry I'm sounding pretty stupid. : s complete noob.

GoldCylon
Founder

Post by GoldCylon » Sun Sep 01, 2013 11:24 am

You will need a sheet of about 3 ft x 3 ft in size. A bit larger and you will need to go to a plastic type specialty store to buy it. You might want to take a piece of the suit with you to show the thickness you need, but you want thicker than the Krop plastic. The 2 "L's" you need to cut will ride on your shoulders in the upside down position. Then adjust as need after you set the backpack on top of the "L's" It will be a two or three man job to adjust hold, and proper placement while figuring out the cuts. One section of each L while upside down will lean against your back, and then across your shoulder. One to left, and to the right. Tack down a temporary cross bar to the "L's" under your chin connecting the two pieces, and one on your back near your shoulder blades. Then place the back pack on, and then cut adjust the "L's" as need to you liking, and comfort.

Omega Red
Phalanx Leader

Post by Omega Red » Mon Sep 02, 2013 2:44 pm

Found some ready to go L's. I don't know how it came to mind. Took it right off my laptop stand. It's light enough to wear on your back, the width of the L's can be adjusted, fits perfectly underneath the collar and backpack, is snug enough to wear it and it wont fall off and it angles down at around 40-45. Because it has screws and bolts it can be adjusted for fit :)
Attachments
IMAG1269.jpg
IMAG1268.jpg

GoldCylon
Founder

Post by GoldCylon » Mon Sep 02, 2013 2:56 pm

That look great, but what about long term weight carrying that metal frame around.

Hand-Schaub
First Centurion

Post by Hand-Schaub » Mon Sep 02, 2013 3:01 pm

If you need vacuformed "L"s I have them available. I don't know how they would fit onto a crop suit though.

But you may want to consider just getting a built and chromed backpack so everything fits as it should.

Omega Red
Phalanx Leader

Post by Omega Red » Mon Sep 02, 2013 3:19 pm

It's light. I can wear it for hours. Maybe 1.5 lbs. Here's a picture of it sitting on my shoulders. You can slightly see the how it rides the back though the mirror.
Attachments
IMAG1274.jpg

Omega Red
Phalanx Leader

Post by Omega Red » Mon Sep 02, 2013 3:24 pm

@ Hand Schaub. I was thinking of doing that. Can you or someone you know provide a "ready to go" collar and backpack a la' cart if I place an order? Let me know the cost. That would be the best way for me.

Omega Red
Phalanx Leader

Post by Omega Red » Mon Sep 02, 2013 10:04 pm

@Hand Schaub I found your armor link and sent an order request. Let me know what info you need. Thanks!
"Cylons never die, just multiply!"

Hammer3246
Patrol Member

Post by Hammer3246 » Mon Sep 02, 2013 10:27 pm

Hand-Schaub wrote:If you need vacuformed "L"s I have them available. I don't know how they would fit onto a crop suit though.

But you may want to consider just getting a built and chromed backpack so everything fits as it should.

Could you PM me a price on a chromed backpack?

Cheers

Hand-Schaub
First Centurion

Post by Hand-Schaub » Wed Sep 04, 2013 12:43 am

PM replied :)

Hammer3246
Patrol Member

Post by Hammer3246 » Wed Sep 04, 2013 7:34 am

Sorry, my PM box is empty.

Cheers