Question re: Mattel TOYS Landram and Galactica 4 Pak 6

Discussions about the 1978 TV & Movie series.
Bak Calif
Citizen

Question re: Mattel TOYS Landram and Galactica 4 Pak 6

Post by Bak Calif » Thu Jul 25, 2013 10:33 am

Question 1: I am collecting items, and trying to learn about rarities and prices, etc. Which is more rare, and what is a reasonable price, obviously I know condition based, but between the 1978 Mattel 4 Figure Pak & the Six Figure Gift Set?? Here is a link to the pic http://www.lurexlounge.com/bsg/figures01.php

Question 2: I've always heard that the Mattel Galactica Landram was released ONLY in Canada...but then on the same website, there is the picture of the one in English only http://www.lurexlounge.com/bsg/images/v ... mproto.jpg and they're calling it a prototype? But I believe I have seen another one of these before, so how can it be a prototype if there are more than 1 of them? Or is that just inaccurate info....and if so, what's it worth....vs the Canadien version which I've seen on Ebay go for about $700-$900? or so.

Question 3: On the Electronic Battlestar Galactica Command Ship....as also shown on the same website.... http://www.lurexlounge.com/bsg/images/v ... rproto.jpg is that also truly the ONLY one known in existence or do other collectors out there have one? Just seems weird they made the one box and one ship and that's all ever, even if it was never officially released, so I was just wondering if there were maybe more, but just sitting in private collections or something?

I am brand new to this website and am a big Galactica 1978 Original Series Fan......../ collector on the side........working on it that is/ slowly/ but just trying to learn more about the collecting hobby of Galactica, so anybody with ACCURATE information I would greatly appreciate.
Thanks!

Cylon-Knight
Site Administrator

Re: Question re: Mattel TOYS Landram and Galactica 4 Pak 6

Post by Cylon-Knight » Thu Jul 25, 2013 12:17 pm

Welcome (again ;) ) Bak Calif!

For Mattel items be sure to check out or Gallery too:
http://www.byyourcommand.net/cylongalle ... php?cat=95
MANY MANY MANY MANY MANY MANY MANY photos!

Our Gallery Admin, Red Eye, will proably know costs and such more. He is in Germany and will be on later today... Time Zones.... ;)

Now here are my answers for your questions (but I'm no expert!)
1. I would say the Mail In set would be more rare. The Gift set was more for sitting on shelves in a store / catalog sales, right? The Mail in set was one of those "effort required deals" ... I guess fewer may have gone out to the public??? (Again just a guess). Costs? I have no idea, sorry.

2. The Land Ram has come up on the forum before. Try a search for Land Ram and maybe one for Land Ram with me as the autor... I can't remember off the top of my head but I researched it at the time of some silly, sky-high price auction on eBay that made me nutty, and I found it should only be $300ish for a fair price...

3. The Command Ship was just a prototype. It lives somewhere, just the one. It sold on eBay in 2006 for $5,100.00. It is welcome to come to my house -- for free! :twisted:

P.S. I know of a $79.50 for a Boxed Mattel BSG Viper Launch Station - missing one Viper - at a local Antique Mall (unless it has sold by now). Red Eye thought the price for that was good (I thought it was high at first - I'm cheap - LOL). They are $150 ish on eBay or around that it seems - pushing $200.
"All Baseships are now in range to attack the Colonies."

Bak Calif
Citizen

Post by Bak Calif » Thu Jul 25, 2013 1:38 pm

1) OK, so the 6 Pack Gift Set was one you could buy in the stores then your saying? I didn't know that? And the 4 Pak in the Blue Box was a mail in.....OK.....interesting....I'd love to see the promo offer for that one.....if someone has it somewhere......

2) The Land Ram Mattel.....I see where you guys had a talk about "Models & Filming Miniatures" category on the Landram when I typed in the SEARCH for Landram on your search but that's all really, and the link to your pictures page in your gallery, which is a picture of the same Mattel Landram as the Landram pictured on the Galactica Luxor Lounge Website photo provided by Greg Hanson. But I've seen on a website or Ebay or somewhere a photo or auction of another English version of the Mattel Landram that wasn't the SAME as that one.....that's why I'm questioning whether it's a proto-type or not?? And if was supposedly only made/released in Canada, well then why is there the English one anyway that Greg Hanson has the picture of/or owns I guess??

3) Yes, the prototype, WOW, that is awesome!!! Too bad the box wasn't in a little better shape, for something that's a one of a kind, it looks like it's been handled quite a bit according to that picture, but WOW...what a neat item for a collection. No one here knows the person who has this item then? I figured it'd be some big Galactica fan? Maybe just a toy collector fan in general then? I'd love to see what other type of stuff this person has in their collection.

Bak Calif
Citizen

Post by Bak Calif » Fri Mar 14, 2014 8:01 pm

Here is a LINK to the MATTEL LANDRAM that is in English ONLY and not in the dual Canadien/English. What does anybody know about this?

http://www.lurexlounge.com/bsg/images/v ... mproto.jpg
Attachments
landramproto.jpg

Red Eye
Cylon Empire VIP & BYC.net Gallery Admin

Post by Red Eye » Sat Mar 15, 2014 2:04 am

It might be a mock-up packaging.
"There can be no survivors. So long as one human remains alive the Alliance is threatened."

Bak Calif
Citizen

Post by Bak Calif » Sat Mar 15, 2014 12:35 pm

What does a MOCK up packaging mean? I have seen one in person also actually.

Cylon-Knight
Site Administrator

Post by Cylon-Knight » Sun Mar 16, 2014 3:42 pm

If you saw the box in person, you saw a prototype/test/practice box design if it was in fact a "mock up."

From Wikipedia:

In manufacturing and design, a mockup, or mock-up, is a scale or full-size model of a design or device, used for teaching, demonstration, design evaluation, promotion, and other purposes. A mockup is a prototype if it provides at least part of the functionality of a system and enables testing of a design. Mock-ups are used by designers mainly to acquire feedback from users. Mock-ups address the idea captured in a popular engineering one-liner: You can fix it now on the drafting board with an eraser or you can fix it later on the construction site with a sledge hammer.
Source: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mockup
"All Baseships are now in range to attack the Colonies."

Bak Calif
Citizen

Post by Bak Calif » Sun Mar 16, 2014 3:53 pm

So a mock up of the Landram in English only then is probably worth a decent amount in comparison to the normal Landram in box which goes for $750-up then I'd imagine. Thanks for responding also.

goldcylon1
First Centurion

Post by goldcylon1 » Wed Mar 19, 2014 4:58 pm

Bak Calif wrote:Question 1: I am collecting items, and trying to learn about rarities and prices, etc. Which is more rare, and what is a reasonable price, obviously I know condition based, but between the 1978 Mattel 4 Figure Pak & the Six Figure Gift Set?? Here is a link to the pic http://www.lurexlounge.com/bsg/figures01.php

Question 2: I've always heard that the Mattel Galactica Landram was released ONLY in Canada...but then on the same website, there is the picture of the one in English only http://www.lurexlounge.com/bsg/images/v ... mproto.jpg and they're calling it a prototype? But I believe I have seen another one of these before, so how can it be a prototype if there are more than 1 of them? Or is that just inaccurate info....and if so, what's it worth....vs the Canadien version which I've seen on Ebay go for about $700-$900? or so.

Question 3: On the Electronic Battlestar Galactica Command Ship....as also shown on the same website.... http://www.lurexlounge.com/bsg/images/v ... rproto.jpg is that also truly the ONLY one known in existence or do other collectors out there have one? Just seems weird they made the one box and one ship and that's all ever, even if it was never officially released, so I was just wondering if there were maybe more, but just sitting in private collections or something?

I am brand new to this website and am a big Galactica 1978 Original Series Fan......../ collector on the side........working on it that is/ slowly/ but just trying to learn more about the collecting hobby of Galactica, so anybody with ACCURATE information I would greatly appreciate.
Thanks!

1. the 4pk in the plain box was a villains set if I remember avialable from jc penny. Its the Rarest of the 4 Packs
the other four pack and the 6 pack were the common series 1 figures and lets agree to just call them scarce

2. Land ram was for the Canadian Market only and came in firing and non firing models. The box could have been a mock up or a toy trade show demo. I have only seen the Canidian version. In either box it would be a rare toy and the box is easilly half the value of the toy.

3. Mega rare never seen one in person. I beleive it was made for toy trade show purposes only and never produced beyond that point. It would be at the top Gem of any BSG toy collection followed by the landram and the Vertibird viper
Goldcylon@cox.net

Return to “1978 TV Series”