thinking about undercostumes are the kropserkel ones okay

Tell us about yourself. Post about yourself, your collection, builds or what you hope to collect, build.
rustycylon
Squadron Leader

thinking about undercostumes are the kropserkel ones okay

Post by rustycylon » Sun May 13, 2012 2:16 pm

as the title suggests, it seems the undercostume is the most awkward part of the whole cylon to get.
I know kropserkel sell a cylon and I know you can just buy a undercostume from them but I dont know if they are any good.

Any one got any clear photos of one, or got any other suggestions for undercostume suppliers.
thanks
:cylon:

Cy
Raider Commander

Re: thinking about undercostumes are the kropserkel ones oka

Post by Cy » Sun May 13, 2012 3:01 pm

It is my opinion that the Krop undersuit is the weakest part of the krop suit. Not only is it poor, but it never did fit well even after sending back for adjustment. If your in no hurry i can get some photos of it next week sometime.

rustycylon
Squadron Leader

Post by rustycylon » Sun May 13, 2012 3:20 pm

thanks.
So what undercostume do you have now.

Cylon-Knight
Site Administrator

Post by Cylon-Knight » Sun May 13, 2012 5:38 pm

rustycylon wrote:as the title suggests, it seems the undercostume is the most awkward part of the whole cylon to get.
I know kropserkel sell a cylon and I know you can just buy a undercostume from them but I dont know if they are any good.

Any one got any clear photos of one, or got any other suggestions for undercostume suppliers.
thanks
:cylon:
rustycylon - I'd agree with you and Cy. The Under Suit is the trickiest part of the costume to "get just right."

The Krop under suit is not 100% 1:1 1978 Cylon accurate, but it doesn't claim to be. It is very good for what it is - a more mass market, one size fits most type of costume. We have a lot of happy Krop owners here and some choose to replace the under suit or other items in time, this is true. But some keep their Krops and rock it Krop style! :sunglasses: It just depends on the type of build you are after.

It really comes down to how much time and money you want to invest in an under suit as to what you are going to get. A quality under suit made as close as can be done by reference photos by a seamstress can run you several thousands of dollars (as there is no exact pattern based on a screen used suit). Then add to that a few hundred for a correct metal mesh skirting (nothing the seamstress would make). The actual sewing is no different than other sewing, but it does take some skill with and odd combination of fabrics (lycra = stretchy crazy like spandex + vinyl = NOT stretchy, and could need heavier needles, etc.). Add to that the fact of the not hard but tedious huge amount of ribbing to do and many seamstresses may just quote a "pie-in-the-sky" price to either drive you away or get so much money for the tedious work they will suffer through it.

As for photos of a Krop, they have great ones on their own site:
http://www.kropserkel.com/cylon.htm

And for original under suits for you to compare the Krop to - we have them in our BYC.net Gallery:
Front: http://www.byyourcommand.net/cylongalle ... play_media
Back: http://www.byyourcommand.net/cylongalle ... play_media

Other suggestions I can think of:
-Buy the original Cylon up for auction in July (*I WISH I COULD*)
-Sew one up yourself like Nashslash did (search for his posts, and he has YouTube vids too)
-Find some sucker you know personally who can sew and sweet talk them. *pleeeeease* ;)
-Find a local seamstress who can do the work and won't bleed you dry (then you can get a correct fitting to your body type)
-Red Eye and Jenne have found an excellent seamstress (but she is in Germany) Info/pics here: viewtopic.php?f=7&t=1838
She can take a few short cuts to save cost, but then you give on 1:1 details... give and take
(P.S. I am going to be working with her myself - for my under suit. She defiantly has Cylon-Knight's approval)

And finally avoid "Shadow Dale" for an under suit. Until I hear from Red Eye that he got the money they took from him... and never delivered an under suit - I cannot recommend Shadow Dale and advise everyone to steer clear and not get swindled as my poor pal Red Eye did.

So... after all that... In the end, its what your wallet -or wife ;)- let you get. :roll:
:byyourcommand:
"All Baseships are now in range to attack the Colonies."

rustycylon
Squadron Leader

Post by rustycylon » Mon May 14, 2012 2:57 pm

thanks for your reply. The krop one doesn't look so bad in the pictures as you say not 100%. if I can get something better I will, if not then the krop one will do the job.

Jenne
Flight Leader

Post by Jenne » Mon May 14, 2012 5:56 pm

You must ask KS for pics. They have more than 3 different undersuits done since 2007.

nashslash
Flight Leader

Post by nashslash » Tue May 15, 2012 12:52 am

The krop under suit is terrible. Poorly made and finished terribly. Even the patches on the leg and arms are not finished to any kind of standard. I had to colour the edges in black permanent marker. Your better off trying to make something your self rather than spend money on the Krop undersuit. You have been warned.

As a additional warning the pictures of the undersuit you see from Krop isn
www.battlefield-online.net

rustycylon
Squadron Leader

Post by rustycylon » Tue May 15, 2012 1:16 am

okay. more to think about.

Jenne
Flight Leader

Post by Jenne » Tue May 15, 2012 3:13 pm

[quote="nashslash"]