Hi from PA

Tell us about yourself. Post about yourself, your collection, builds or what you hope to collect, build.
treker2557
Spare Parts

Hi from PA

Post by treker2557 » Fri Mar 25, 2011 2:32 pm

Hi everyone,

I'm from Northeastern Pa. I'm an avid sci-fi and monster model builder since my early teens. I'm a fan of anything sci-fi and space and a fairly active amateur astronomer when not bogged down with grad classes.

I build plastic and mostly resin models. For the past several years, I have mostly been collecting and building studio scale sci-fi models. This includes assembly, modifications, lighting, designing of simple circuit boards and PIC programming for lighting sequences, painting with an airbrush and weathering or battle damage. I will also add any greeblies or other parts to make more accurate and cast any resin resin parts when needed.

Over the past year I have gotten into costuming as well and have made several costumes. So far a Star Trek TOS duty command tunic and pants as well as a S3 style dress. Also a TOS style Andorian which I modified and extended a chain mail shirt I purchased, tooled leather, sculpted antennas, cut and styled my first wig, and practiced with airbrushing body paint. I'm also currently working on for a family member for this summer a LOTR elven style outfit. This project started out simple but is now including some sculpting work that will be molded and fiberglassed for final piece.

My next few costumes I'm planning on working on over the next year is lifecasting my head, torso, legs, and arms for various sculpting projects. First sculpt will be the Andorian forhead from Star Trek Enterprise and the several Klingon foreheads. I'm also in the early stages of pepakuring a complete Doctor Who Cybermen, still cutting and assembling. This will take me several months at my rate of progress from assembling to resin, fiberglassing, and then bondoing. I have a friend helping with this so hopefully mid summer this will be completed. We are then going to use the completed set as our masters and make lighter vacuum formed version out of styrene or ABS. I might do a small run of them based on how the project turns out if anyone is interested.

Lastly I want to start on a pepkura cylon. I have all the files and it is alot simpler than the Cybermen pepakura file. I'm mostly wondering if there are better version's more screen accurate ones out there and how much? I looked through the forums and see that 2 different versions are or were for sale but unable to find reference to overall quality of products. If not, I plan on building mine up this summer to fall and fiberglass it and then vacuumform a lighter version so I can wear it more easily around a convention.

GoldCylon
Founder

Re: Hi from PA

Post by GoldCylon » Fri Mar 25, 2011 4:55 pm

Hey Trekker welcome on board. Sounds like you are well versed in building all across the board from models, to costumes. I myself have only printed out a Pepka file, and noted it was way off in size so never made the attempt to fold it. I have seen Bazooka Joe's files, but not sure about anyone else. If I recall Joe did finish up the Cylon, but I never really followed it much.
Anyway welcome on board and take a peek around, and post a few photos of your builds if you can. :cylongold:

Cylon-Knight
Site Administrator

Re: Hi from PA

Post by Cylon-Knight » Fri Mar 25, 2011 9:52 pm

treker2557 welcome! Glad you've joined. Post up some pics of all your stuff - yes! Sounds like you have worked on many cool projects.

I'm not sure about any accurate pep files out there. The first item to learn about Classic Cylons is there are VERY FEW options for us. Our little corner of the costume world is MUCH smaller than Star Wars' ...

Post often an enjoy the site. Any questions post em. Any technical issues with the forum ask me.
:byyourcommand:
"All Baseships are now in range to attack the Colonies."

Return to “Say Hi”