1st Viper Launch and Battle Scene-Original Soundtrack redub

Discussions about the 1978 TV & Movie series.
Starbuck
Raider Gunner

1st Viper Launch and Battle Scene-Original Soundtrack redub

Post by Starbuck » Mon Feb 07, 2011 12:20 pm

I have now "Perfected" my original YouTube vid, where I redubed the original music from "Saga Of A Star World" over the original first viper launch and battle scene.

Apart from the beginning loop that I attempted to match (and is off by a bit), the rest of this vid is PERFECT (as close as any human could possibly hope to achieve).

I have secretly been working on this for over a month. Though the OST sounds great and is 'beefed up' it is NOT the original music that was used in the t.v. and movie release of "Saga Of A Star World/Battlestar Galactica", it is a REMAKE!
I admit that the remake DOES sound better than the original music in some ways... It adds more instruments and is 'beefed up'. But I am going for 100% accuracy here.

I have spent hours comparing my 'Cylon Head' dvd against this vid that I have made, and I must say, that this 'music emphasis' vid (once the vipers are launched) is as close to perfect that anyone could hope to achieve, of putting the ACTUAL screen used music in PERFECT synch, back in to the original scenes and EMPHASISED, so that it is much louder.

Some of you may not understand why I have done this, but I am a musical connoisseur of Battlestar Galactica (indeed all movies) and Stu Phillips. The music is as much a part of the movie as is the visuals. In the original movie, some of the music is loud and prominant, while some of it is 'masked' by the sound effects... AND (in my opinion) some of Stu Phillip's great work is 'watered down' for simply no reason at all, other than pressed time and tight budget...

Prepare to witness 'what could have been' as far as the music goes....

The vid itself is cam ripped and not of high quality and the original sound effects have been left in (yet subdued) for 'markers' for those of you that know this scene by heart and those of you, who like me, hold it as sacred. The original sounds of the vid are also 'camripped' and are of low quality...
The surprise IS, that you are about to rewatch this scene, with the music being MUCH more HQ than what is on ANY DVD anywhere, of this great work.. and is synchronized to perfection.

Enjoy, and I hope I havn't been too 'long winded' here. I am just proud of my work and invite any critique.

My original vid used the OST of the movie, which explains some of my confusion in editing. The 'Stu Phillips Anthology' that Red Eye pointed me too IS the actual music that was used in the movie (and t.v. show) that we all enjoy... There are only TWO of the tracks used...
"Launch When Ready" and "The Cylon Trap". THANKS again, RED EYE!!!

"Hot pilot doesn't need all that electronic felgercarb."

Red Eye
Cylon Empire VIP & BYC.net Gallery Admin

Re: 1st Viper Launch and Battle Scene-Original Soundtrack redub

Post by Red Eye » Mon Feb 07, 2011 1:55 pm

Starbuck wrote:THANKS again, RED EYE!!!
:byyourcommand:
"There can be no survivors. So long as one human remains alive the Alliance is threatened."

Cylon-Knight
Site Administrator

Post by Cylon-Knight » Mon Feb 07, 2011 11:06 pm

:loveit:

Starbuck, the only thing wrong with that is I WANT MORE! :) Great work.
"All Baseships are now in range to attack the Colonies."

Starbuck
Raider Gunner

Post by Starbuck » Tue Feb 08, 2011 7:28 am

THANKS guys! :salute:
I don't plan on doing anymore work with this scene, but I do plan on doing some more music remakes. I'm toying with doing the Epic battle scene were Starbuck's viper gets hit and he's forced to land on Atilla in "The Young Lords". I've determined that most of the music is from the Stu Phillips Antholgy piece "Rookies First Battle" but I think there is some music from other pieces in there... I do know from doing my homework that it's been HEAVILY edited and will take some hard work to rematch it -to Cylon perfection. :cylon: ;)

Starbuck
Raider Gunner

Re: 1st Viper Launch and Battle Scene-Original Soundtrack re

Post by Starbuck » Sat Sep 03, 2011 4:36 pm

Well..... I just couldn't leave "well enough" alone, so I decided to perfect the beginning of the vid, because it is the part that's definitely not perfect.
The music that starts in the Launch Bay- I have finally figured it out! :blink:

HEAR the track that wasn't put on the Stu Phillips Anthology or the newly released Volume One from Intrada..... The studio version of "Launch When Ready"!

-Enjoy! :smile:

GoldCylon
Founder

Post by GoldCylon » Sat Sep 03, 2011 5:01 pm

Yeah the sorry fact is that sometimes the timing of the cut to present to the viewing audience takes the priority in the music, so a slice, and dice to make it fit. Also beside running time play back speed adjustment wobbles I think you did a great job. I recall these problems when I bought the newly released VHS movie version of Galactica back in 1980, and playing my cassette tape. I have to hit the pause at certain points now and then. Great presentation. :byyourcommand:

Starbuck
Raider Gunner

Post by Starbuck » Sat Sep 03, 2011 8:44 pm

Thanks alot! The visuals didn't come out as well as I had hoped, because I used a previous vid (which I knew would pass thru the copyright filters of youtube) and just replaced the audio. If you reuse a vid in moviemaker, that you've already published in another vid it makes the quality much worse, especially the framerate and the scrolling titles are all messed up.

You don't know how bad I wish I could use the scene from original DVD and upload it in Hd
but that CANNOT be done....

I also wish they would have released a true studio version of "Lauch When Ready", then it wouldn't have taken all this work, just to hear it and present it.

At least it is FINALLY finished and we can all hear the original music and on the music only part of the vid, it is in 720 HD! :cool:

If anyone wants my ("Launch When Ready, Starbuckin's reproduced studio version") pm me...

Return to “1978 TV Series”