Studio Scale Cylon Raider

The models you built, and studio scaled miniatures
Cylon-Knight
Site Administrator

Re: Studio Scale Cylon Raider

Post by Cylon-Knight » Tue Apr 12, 2011 7:22 pm

Now, the Raider has full lighting, correct? The kit has room for the lights/wires, etc.?

"All Baseships are now in range to attack the Colonies."

dbhs
Raider Commander

Post by dbhs » Tue Apr 12, 2011 7:46 pm

Yes, Sir. The lights are masked off until the painting and weathering are complete.

dbhs
Raider Commander

Post by dbhs » Thu Apr 14, 2011 2:09 am

Here's a BYC.net exclusive.

I got the masking off of the lights and the engine fins in place so I had to test the lights out to make sure they're still working.

The little green sticks in the background of the front view are the canopy frames with the primer paint drying.

Getting close to being done now.

:byyourcommand:
Attachments
DSC02535 - Copy.JPG
DSC02529 - Copy.JPG
DSC02526 - Copy.JPG

Red Eye
Cylon Empire VIP & BYC.net Gallery Admin

Post by Red Eye » Thu Apr 14, 2011 10:13 am

I've just one word for your complete Raider: PERFECT! :wtf: :wtf: :wtf:
"There can be no survivors. So long as one human remains alive the Alliance is threatened."

Cylon-Knight
Site Administrator

Post by Cylon-Knight » Thu Apr 14, 2011 11:32 am

*I can't post a reply because I LOVE IT SO MUCH, I fell out of my chair when I saw that, hurt myself and am now stuck on the floor and can't reach my keyboard* ;)

tejanovader
Phalanx Leader

Post by tejanovader » Thu Apr 14, 2011 1:35 pm

With the right background, I would believe it was a 1:1 scale, full size vehicle. Let's go make a movie!!!! Thanks for the photos and the amazing research that you have done.

dbhs
Raider Commander

Post by dbhs » Thu Apr 14, 2011 2:09 pm

Thanks, guys. It does look bigger in the pictures actually. Maybe because I've been staring at it for so long it seems a little smaller to me in person now. With some better photos and good lighting set up I want to make it look real. Hopefully I'll get to that this weekend :salute:

I need to skim through my screen shots and see if there's any classic angles on this to duplicate. I always loved that opening scene with the 3 raiders over the planet and then do a roll maneuver and dive down. They look so graceful and sinister in that scene.

Cylon-Knight
Site Administrator

Post by Cylon-Knight » Thu Apr 14, 2011 4:28 pm

dbhs wrote:I always loved that opening scene with the 3 raiders over the planet and then do a roll maneuver and dive down. They look so graceful and sinister in that scene.
Same here. That scene = CYLON COOL!!!

dbhs
Raider Commander

Post by dbhs » Tue Apr 19, 2011 1:39 am

Hey Cylons !!!!

Your ride is here !!!!

heheheheh - Cylon humor is great.

:byyourcommand:

GoldCylon
Founder

Post by GoldCylon » Tue Apr 19, 2011 1:49 am

Glad you arrived in time. I was just about ready to look for sone new turbo charged ride. Love the look. Reminds me when I was a little Red Eye. :lol:

dbhs
Raider Commander

Post by dbhs » Tue Apr 19, 2011 1:56 am

GoldCylon wrote:Glad you arrived in time. I was just about ready to look for sone new turbo charged ride. Love the look. Reminds me when I was a little Red Eye. :lol:
The good old days.... when Cylons were Cylons.

tejanovader
Phalanx Leader

Post by tejanovader » Tue Apr 19, 2011 10:13 am

:cylon: Outstanding!

I love the weathering. Your work convinces me I need to ditch the kit supplied decals and use green painted styrene strips, mitered as you have done. It looks soooo much better than the kit's decal. The glossy that is created inside the insignia is really distracting to me.

I should read around the thread, but what is the story behind the ghost insignia again?

Great JOB, Indeed!! :cylon:

Red Eye
Cylon Empire VIP & BYC.net Gallery Admin

Post by Red Eye » Tue Apr 19, 2011 10:21 am

AWESOME!!!

I've just got one question: Will you sell it? :lol:
"There can be no survivors. So long as one human remains alive the Alliance is threatened."

dbhs
Raider Commander

Post by dbhs » Tue Apr 19, 2011 7:13 pm

tejanovader wrote::cylon: Outstanding!

I love the weathering. Your work convinces me I need to ditch the kit supplied decals and use green painted styrene strips, mitered as you have done. It looks soooo much better than the kit's decal. The glossy that is created inside the insignia is really distracting to me.

I should read around the thread, but what is the story behind the ghost insignia again?

Great JOB, Indeed!! :cylon:
Thanks !!

I really hate decals so I was glad to learn they used something different for the insignias. I saw some green electrical tape at the hardware store that could work too but thin styrene strips painted green would be cool. You could apply them directly over the decals as a guide. I seem to remember the decals that came with the Revell model kit were stretched out of shape a bit and not a true pentagon. I used the left over "damaged" insignias that came with the new series cylon raider resin kit on my Revel model. They were way too small but looked good with the heavily weathered finish i did there.

I'm not really sure about the whole story but I understand they changed the location of the insignia to the wings apparently after this particular studio model was weathered. I haven't seen this on any of the other filming models that I have pics of so maybe this was the first one that got weathered? I don't know. This just happens to be the only filming model that I have complete pics for on all sides so that's why I used it as a guide for painting and weathering. They used several of these for filming and they all seem to have some differences in how they were painted. Some even have the additional kit parts applied.

dbhs
Raider Commander

Post by dbhs » Tue Apr 19, 2011 7:17 pm

Red Eye wrote:AWESOME!!!

I've just got one question: Will you sell it? :lol:
I don't think the Imperious Leader will like having Empire property unloaded without authorization... :cylon:

Return to “Models and Filming Miniatures”