Eye Scanner

Tips, tricks, inside secrets, help, sources, items used on making the Cylon Centurion suit to wear. Tell us your story, how you came about collecting your parts to a Centurion, or if you own a complete Centurion costume.
Galactifan
Flight Leader

Eye Scanner

Post by Galactifan » Tue Feb 14, 2006 10:12 am

Cylon electronic LED eye scanner with and without sound can be purchased here...
http://www.hyperdynelabs.com/products_e ... ardian.php

CoolCylon
Patrol Member

Post by CoolCylon » Wed Apr 26, 2006 4:56 pm

That is a nice scanner. I have one and think it is a cool toy. You can change the pattern on how the lights scan
Group 3 Section 1, 7 and 2, 8 arm and attack Atlantia

80sKidCylon
Raider Gunner

Post by 80sKidCylon » Thu Apr 27, 2006 4:32 pm

What would be cool but may not be cost effective: authentic CYLON vocoder software for the PC or Mac and the ability to make up your own phases and then transfer/download them to a say: CF compact flash card attached to the above Hyperlab item. Have it set in a jukebox type config so when the motion sensor is used it will randomly voice the DLed custom phrases. I would definitely pay more for this WOW feature. Imagine having Red eye mention you love's name or say Happy Birthday "insert name". Just an idea but i know it will cost an arm, leg and more.
William, Sandy and Connor Fong
www.80sKID.com Carpe Diem!

GoldCylon
Founder

Post by GoldCylon » Thu Apr 27, 2006 5:03 pm

Chris Dexter has done some nice work with his research, and work making a very good vocoder voice box. The current eBay listing for the same model vocorder that was used for the Cylon voice would be a great piece of equipment to have.
Image :cylongold: :cylongold: :cylongold:

C1-978
Patrol Leader

Post by C1-978 » Sun Feb 18, 2007 9:53 pm

Has anyone found a alternative to Hyperdynes set up?

matic
Citizen

Post by matic » Mon Feb 19, 2007 1:59 am

hey nice to be here!

The only wearable quality eye scanner I have ever come across comes from Kropserkel http://www.kropserkel.com
All the electronics fit into the helmet and is totally wearable for hours and hours and the best part is you can still see perfectly. (well for a one eyed cylon anyways!)
The sweep is the best part in that it isnt "digital" looking.
It has the fluid sweep of the original circuit.

I have seen the hyperdyne eye in person at a convention and it is very point to point in the lights, not at all like the analog cylon eye. Its also totally unwearable, the power supply has to go elsewhere so you have wires running from the helmet (try putting it on!) and the eye board does not accomodate your head in there. I think it was designed as a static model device in that it will come on and warble to a motion sensor, cool stuff!

I have the kropserkel sound of the eye warble and also various clips i can speak at will, either real clips from the show or new recorded ones, I can even add my own sounds.
Im really surprised that people around this forum haven't heard of these guys.

GoldCylon
Founder

Post by GoldCylon » Mon Feb 19, 2007 8:20 am

We all have heard of Kropserkel, but don't have much respect for the suit they make. I haven't ever seen one of the Kropserkel Cylon suits in person, but the photos I have seen of the Cylon it is off a bit. That is an under statement also, the back pack is a fan made piece, and the under suit doesn't look right either. I have heard a few other things like the tickness of the chromed piece are a bit thin, and well the list goes on. I haven't heard anything about the eye scanner as good or bad, but I do think the way they went around making it fit into the helmet is a great idea.

matic
Citizen

Post by matic » Thu Feb 22, 2007 3:18 am

how can you say its thin and have no respect for something without ever even seeing one.
I have seen many props that look great in pics but then fail to impress in person, and vice versa.
the parts are really solid,
Its actually quite thick, you can't break the armor by sitting on it or even standing on some pieces.
The parts look exactly like the originals as well. I have seen pictures of original suit parts side by side with theirs and i can't tell which is which.

The parts I have have very solid chroming on them and there is a coating
of laquer for protection. It will scratch if abused but no more than any other chromed piece.
They use a professional vacuum metalising company so there's no better finish out there. Paint and fanta chrome just doesn't cut it.

My eye runs for days before running out of juice and doesn't generate any heat. The eye is speed adjustable with a small resistor pot so the speed can be set how i like it.

The undersuit has solid ribbing sewn in and is made from a semi stretchy fabric that fits perfectly. The sewing is first rate with no threads hanging or bad ends. The older one they made had lousy banding on it but that was about four years ago.

Btw I just love the video of the real cylon costume in the video section.
The thing looks meanacing even on a mannequin!
:twisted:

GoldCylon
Founder

Post by GoldCylon » Thu Feb 22, 2007 9:03 am

It is very easy to have no respect for a copy when I own THE original, but that a side the back pack, and under suit are so far off that alone is why I don't have respect for that suit. The other items I don't have a beef with, because your right, I haven't seen it in person.

womo68
Patrol Member

Post by womo68 » Sat Mar 31, 2007 10:08 am

I've had both the kropserkle cylon with all the accessories and a pull from a screen accurate suit. It's like comparing apples to oranges. The kropserkel armor is nice...but if you want accurate you'll need to upgrade. The under suit is just bad. It is made with stretchy fabric but the

GoldCylon
Founder

Post by GoldCylon » Sat Mar 31, 2007 10:23 am

I had a Hyperdyne eye scanner, but it isn't a type that you could use in a wearable helmet. I did like the sound board as you walked into the room, the Cylon would make a random statement.
I think over all because of cost, and lack of true collectors able to afford a 1:1 screen used accurate Cylon no one will be able to put out on the market a 78 version of a screen used Cylon.

womo68
Patrol Member

Post by womo68 » Sat Mar 31, 2007 10:27 am

I thought there was a guy that did them with the same circuitry and all...but they were 1000.00 if I remember correctly.

womo

GoldCylon
Founder

Post by GoldCylon » Sat Mar 31, 2007 10:29 am

I think Chris Pappas did a few, but they were about $2500

Galactifan
Flight Leader

Post by Galactifan » Mon Apr 02, 2007 1:55 pm

GoldCylon wrote:I think Chris Pappas did a few, but they were about $2500
I have one Cylon eye circuit designed by Chris Pappas. It is THE best eye out there and is designed EXACTLY like the ones on the tv series. Light bulbs are used just like in the tv series. The lights are very bright and are visible in daylight. It has the correct number of lights on and off for a fluid-like smooth eye scan. Nothing like the cheaper L.E.D. designs that other people make which most people have. I also, have a few L.E.D. systems installed in my backup Cylons. Yeah, I know..."Just how many Cylons do you have?" :)

womo68
Patrol Member

Post by womo68 » Mon Apr 02, 2007 3:13 pm

are they really 2500 though??

:shock:

I mean a workman is worthy of his hire...but isn't that kinda steep?

womo

Return to “Centurion Builders' Forum”