Building my Cylon-Knight

Tips, tricks, inside secrets, help, sources, items used on making the Cylon Centurion suit to wear. Tell us your story, how you came about collecting your parts to a Centurion, or if you own a complete Centurion costume.
Cylon-Knight
Site Administrator

Post by Cylon-Knight » Sat Aug 08, 2009 10:47 am

GoldCylon wrote:It looks to me like you might have trimmed a bit to much of the "L's" is why the chin plate is now too big. Just a guess but to hard to tell with out a true side by side.
There wasn't anything to trim from the top of the "L'.s" The only flashing was going "in" - toward the neck, not up toward the head. I couldn't have altered the height of the L's. .... :?:
I have some photos of the L's untrimmed. I'll get up some examples later today of what I'm speaking of, hard to type as good as photos :wink:
Maybe the "cap" need trimmed shorter? I cut it down to what I thought was right... maybe it was not enough.

cblackthorne wrote:Hello,
As I have been building my backpack, it seems that there is alot of body filler work to be done to cover the gaps and overlaps.

Are you having the same experience?

How do you plan on attaching the pieces together? Glue? Pop rivets?

Regards,
Chris A.
Yes, there will be quite a bit of filler work, you are correct. I am finding it is more of a hand made craft item, than a mass produced model kit (like Mongram or Revell kits). It will take a lot of work to fill, prime, and then sand it all right so I can have chrome put on. BUT, it's worth it :D

I plan to glue the parts, probably with some internal sheet plastic to span large gaps, and form a backing for filler.

"All Baseships are now in range to attack the Colonies."

GoldCylon
Founder

Post by GoldCylon » Sat Aug 08, 2009 10:48 am

cblackthorne wrote:Hello,

As I have been building my backpack, it seems that there is alot of body filler work to be done to cover the gaps and overlaps.

Are you having the same experience?

How do you plan on attaching the pieces together? Glue? Pop rivets?

Regards,
Chris A.
Inside my original it is held together with a bead of silicon. I am sure the 1st piece out the builders have a rough go at it also, as I did building my 1st back pack, as have other professionals that have contacted me for help also with photos and so forth. While I can't see the seams on the outside because chrome tape has covered the joints I can see the seams on the screen used gold back pack. It doesn't have tape, and it is picture perfect. The series had run a while by the time the builders got into colored Cylons. All I can say it isn't very easy, but under cut before you over cut, and use filler as needed, and chrome tape to cover any over cuts.

Cylon-Knight
Site Administrator

Post by Cylon-Knight » Tue Aug 11, 2009 10:43 pm

Here are the ribs...
untrimmed on the left, trimmed on the right.
ImageImage
ImageImage
ImageImage
ImageImage

I have photos of "both" ribs like the above, but am only posting one... they are a basic mirror image part so no need to post both.

Red Eye
Cylon Empire VIP & BYC.net Gallery Admin

Post by Red Eye » Wed Aug 12, 2009 9:08 am

To come back to the problem of the overlapping collar cap:

I think it's not so bad that it'll overlap a little.

When you look at this photo you'll notice that the cap overlaps there, too:

Cylon-Knight
Site Administrator

Post by Cylon-Knight » Wed Aug 12, 2009 11:05 am

WOW! THAT is a PHOTO now! You find all the coolest images, Red Eye! Thanks.

However, mine overlaps MORE than that. I still have to trim a bit on the cap but it seems a bit too tall?

Cylon-Knight
Site Administrator

Post by Cylon-Knight » Thu Aug 13, 2009 12:35 am

I got the right forearm armor trimmed tonight... I took photos and will post them tomorrow. It is LATE now :shock:

(:cry: My forearm armor isn't anywhere as near as cool as nashslash's new ones - YET :twisted:)

GoldCylon
Founder

Post by GoldCylon » Thu Aug 13, 2009 1:04 am

Cylon-Knight wrote:I got the right forearm armor trimmed tonight... I took photos and will post them tomorrow. It is LATE now :shock:

(:cry: My forearm armor isn't anywhere as near as cool as nashslash's new ones - YET :twisted:)
I note the word YET....No worries man he just drives in the fast lane while we get there in style :-)

nashslash
Flight Leader

Post by nashslash » Thu Aug 13, 2009 3:35 am

Hay John it's no race. It doesn't matter who get to the destination first as long as we all get there. Also I have a flatbed sander. So for straight edges I can simply hold the part on the flatbed table and it sand a straight edges for me. I know this is your first cozzy too. And I have made lots. We're all here to help
www.battlefield-online.net

Red Eye

Post by Red Eye » Thu Aug 13, 2009 7:11 am

I'm waiting for the completion of my Centurion costume over three years now... did I have to say more?

Cylon-Knight
Site Administrator

Post by Cylon-Knight » Thu Aug 13, 2009 9:41 am

Oh yeah, I know nashslash... no worries - not a race! I was just being silly.

I just waste too much time in Photoshop :roll: :twisted: heehee, need to be working on my suit.

Cylon-Knight
Site Administrator

Post by Cylon-Knight » Sun Aug 16, 2009 1:22 pm

MORE photos (A lot - wait for them all to load :))
ImageImage
ImageImage
ImageImage
ImageImage
ImageImage
ImageImage
ImageImage
ImageImage

I didn't photo - EACH Bicep Armor, just one - same for the boot armor - only one "set" is pictured.
ImageImage
ImageImage
ImageImage
ImageImage
ImageImage
ImageImage
ImageImage
ImageImage
ImageImage
ImageImage
ImageImage
ImageImage
ImageImage
I have more trim work to do, but this was the "bulk" of it. I'll do more fine work with the dremel, etc.

ImageImage
Got my chest armor neck cut. Thanks to Mardikrewe and nashslash for thier help on where to cut.

ImageImage
Thumbs up guys! You can see on this photo the one cut I regret - the part near my elbow, I cut RIGHT to the edge - there is no lip back toward the inside. *sigh* Also pictured - the bicep armors taped up so I can see how they should fit together.

ImageImage
nashslah had some cool storage totes for his Cylon. I looked but could only find these siver ones. And I don't know, may need a bigger one rather than many small ones. They have lids, but the boots are a TINY bit too tall and would hit... not thrilled about that. I'll have to keep looking for storage solutions. Anyway - it is an upgrade from just a cardboard box. And the dog likes em ;)

P.S. This post is over 100 photos of my build! (Up to 142 now) CRAZY!

Mr Fett
Phalanx Leader

Post by Mr Fett » Sun Aug 16, 2009 2:44 pm

I can fit my suit into 2 boxes. (But I don't own a rifle)

I have a 32 gallon tote that holds all my armor, helmet, sword, skirt, gloves (with some room to spare) and I just put my boots and undersuit into a smaller cardboard box.

Red Eye

Post by Red Eye » Sun Aug 16, 2009 3:44 pm

Great work as usual!

Keep it coming!!

Cylon-Knight
Site Administrator

Post by Cylon-Knight » Sun Aug 16, 2009 7:25 pm

Well I do have MORE!
(These were actually done before the last set - all of my photos and files just got outta hand. I've organized some today and was like OOPS! forgot these.)

ImageImage
ImageImage
ImageImage
ImageImage
ImageImage
ImageImage
ImageImage
ImageImage
ImageImage

GoldCylon
Founder

Post by GoldCylon » Sun Aug 16, 2009 9:21 pm

I was checking out the dog, and wondering if that was the Cylons version of a Daggit???

Return to “Centurion Builders' Forum”