Decades later weapons cach found at Universal

This is a help forum to build your classic series props and costumes.
Cylon-Knight
Site Administrator

Re: Decades later weapons cach found at Universal

Post by Cylon-Knight » Sat May 15, 2010 10:23 pm

Looks good. You'd never know it used to be red! Great work.

"All Baseships are now in range to attack the Colonies."

137th Gebirg
Flight Leader

Post by 137th Gebirg » Sun May 16, 2010 3:05 pm

^^^ Thanks much! I worked on that with a friend for several weeks and about 2 gallons of Aircraft Paint Remover. I had every panel off that thing and I can safely say that there was not a single gram of cocaine or any other illicit substance hidden anywhere on the vehicle. :grin:

For the sake of posterity, I managed to dig up a few pics of the restoration in process from my archives...

BTW, under the stainless steel skin is a full 100% fiber glass unibody with a Lotus-made frame. Some impressive engineering went into the design of this car. A shame that it was still kind of a piece of junk in the end. :sad:
Attachments
DSCF0007.jpg
DSCF0006.jpg
DSCF0005.jpg
Last edited by 137th Gebirg on Sun May 16, 2010 3:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I may appear unoccupied to you, but at the molecular level, I'm really quite busy.

137th Gebirg
Flight Leader

Post by 137th Gebirg » Sun May 16, 2010 3:06 pm

Couple more
Attachments
DSCF0010.jpg
DSCF0009.jpg
DSCF0008.jpg
I may appear unoccupied to you, but at the molecular level, I'm really quite busy.

GoldCylon
Founder

Post by GoldCylon » Sun May 16, 2010 4:10 pm

Now that is dedication to take it back down to the original finish. Did you notice any reason like an area that was damaged then Bondo placed over as a cheap fix, and then painted red to cut an other corner, or just the past owner wanted a red sports car.

137th Gebirg
Flight Leader

Post by 137th Gebirg » Sun May 16, 2010 4:20 pm

GoldCylon wrote:Now that is dedication to take it back down to the original finish. Did you notice any reason like an area that was damaged then Bondo placed over as a cheap fix, and then painted red to cut an other corner, or just the past owner wanted a red sports car.
Well, you can't see it too clearly, but on the lower-front of the driver-side door there was a hole that was originally filled in, not with bondo, but with some kind of aluminum or steel solder. Someone went at it pretty good with a rotary sander/grinder before painting it. I do know it was a dealership option and not done after the fact, as the original paperwork was included when I bought the car and it did say that it was a red paint job. However, I am thinking that some damage was done in the intervening time and they stripped the paint, fixed the damage and repainted. I suspect is was a rather large dent and the hole was what they used to pull the dent. After closer examination, the job looked like it was done by an amateur rather than professional, as they clearly didn't know what to do with a stainless steel skin after the work was done. Sadly, the entire car was scuffed pretty badly to make the original paint stick (stainless doesn't hold paint too easily), so I spent an inordinate time with a high-grit belt sander and steel wool to get the rotary sanding circles out of the straight grain of the stainless. Some places (like the door), I couldn't get everything out, but fortunately, it wasn't all that noticeable.

I'm now turning my talents and motivations to my '79 Camaro (my first car that I got back in 1987) with a full restoration & upgrade. She's been ravaged by the cancer of severe rust, but I think I'll have a more enjoyable time working on this project than the DeLorean. One thing I will say for the old DMC-12, however, stainless doesn't rust as easily, if at all. Never had to worry about that on the DL and it was only 2 years younger. The Camaro, on the other hand...oy!

Thanks much!

Hand-Schaub
First Centurion

Post by Hand-Schaub » Mon May 17, 2010 5:21 pm

137th Gebirg wrote:Heh...if I had a nickel for all the times I had people come up to me out of the blue and ask me where my flux capacitor was I would have made enough money to offset the loss in the sale. Seriously... :D
Amen!

What a struggle you went through. Perhaps I have been luckier with my 82 driving strong!

Return to “Classic Battlestar Props and Costumes”