Adama's Medallion

Discussions about the 1978 TV & Movie series.
Cylon-Knight
Site Administrator

Post by Cylon-Knight » Sat Nov 21, 2009 8:40 pm

Well put Chris, if someone does want to make a prop copy they should invest their own time and talents into it - recasting is a "no no!"

However, in the crazy world we live in someone very well may wind up with molds or items that are a recasts and they thought they were "originals." One can never be certain of an item's full and true history via eBay - or some "less than honest" salesperson :roll:

I'm sure SiR-ROUND and GoldCylon would never knowingly recast, just want to have fun making BSG stuff! And really... who cares about Adama anyway!? *ZAP* He's Cylon Public Enemy #1! :twisted: *ZAP*

"All Baseships are now in range to attack the Colonies."

GoldCylon
Founder

Post by GoldCylon » Sun Nov 22, 2009 9:56 am

Without reading the entire posting back I do recall that this project was to be made in pewter not in resin. I have no idea how pewter works in casting, but I don't think pouring rubber it will work. Also I agree that I wouldn't want my work copied, but if I recall no more of these items will be made again leaving the door open to a degree with no other choice. Also I have no real true idea who a copy in pewter would look anyway. I have never thought of pewter a high detail type of metal. Just a medal version of this rare piece would be awesome. Sir Round start studying old brooches.

SiR-ROUND

Post by SiR-ROUND » Sun Nov 22, 2009 9:57 am

Hi Chris,

Great of you to shime in, I didn't realize you are a member here.

I'm still glad I contacted Grodon in the first place. Was a bit bummed about not getting a go through him from you, but I do understand. My plan was to offer sweet pewter "recasts". Which I think will have an uber finish on them.

For fans here (talking maybe 3/4 pieces?) and not charging anything more than the pewter and shipping. I want a pewter one for myself anyway, so mold materials are my own investment.

If you and Gordon would agree with a % (would mean me giving away these medallions at my xpense), that's fine by me, but I understand it's more delicate.

I AM however gonna make my own personal pewter copy. Recasting it is, for personal use, as I don't like a paint finish and would love this prop to be real metal. A fine line indeed...

As for RPF, they don't have a recasting policy, they violate copyrights without looking back. They do think it's a problem if someone just copies a project, which I understand, it was hard work, but illegal to sell runs of in the first place.

EDIT: You posted before me GoldCylon...

Pewter is a great metal! It's just that those little toy soldiers or silly objects you see are made too look crappy.

For the medallion it will work very well. As the recessed areas will stay "dirty" enhancing the details after polishing it to a shine.

The mold is just rubber, but has to be heat resistant, but as pewter has the lowest melting point, it's not that special. I got mold max 60 which should hold up.

Cylon-Knight
Site Administrator

Post by Cylon-Knight » Sun Nov 22, 2009 6:28 pm

Was the original one pewter? Or was it plastic?
"All Baseships are now in range to attack the Colonies."

SiR-ROUND

Post by SiR-ROUND » Mon Nov 23, 2009 3:46 am

As far as I know they used an existing thingy fort he top detail, probably metal. The disc I don't know.

Return to “1978 TV Series”