wanting to give my Cylon a voice.

Tips, tricks, inside secrets, help, sources, items used on making the Cylon Centurion suit to wear. Tell us your story, how you came about collecting your parts to a Centurion, or if you own a complete Centurion costume.
Soulsearcher
Citizen

wanting to give my Cylon a voice.

Post by Soulsearcher » Sat Mar 20, 2010 11:14 am

Hi guys, having just joined here and new to the Cylon costuming scene, I'd thought I'd pick ya brains in regards to a query I have. I am in the stages of getting my very first Cylon costume from a well knwon member from here who has recently moved overseas, I'm collecting Nashlash's costume at the end of the month and one definate upgrade I would love to give this fella is a voice!

Question is which way to go?

option 1; mp3 player with Cylon voice effects? or
option 2; voice changer?

first option is probably the easiest of the two but saying that having a Cylon that has a realistic voice when I speak would be an awesome upgrade and would do nash's Cylon the justice it deserves in my eyes or even his eye, lol! so help me guys with any ideas, prettty please!!!!

Cylon-Knight
Site Administrator

Re: wanting to give my Cylon a voice.

Post by Cylon-Knight » Sat Mar 20, 2010 1:05 pm

An "on-the-fly" Cylon voice converter is really "the Holy Grail" of classic Cylon costuming - so far there is no perfect solution for getting THE classic voice.

There are a few good options and some more in the works. I don't know any links, or info off the top of my head, but there are a few around the web / some kicking around here in older threads.

For my suit, I am planning dual sound systems. One system will run an MP3 player for the "eye sound" just looping over and over. Lower volume, speaker probably pretty small (the eye sound should not be BLAIRING ya know... you don't hear the eye sound from across the street). And then a separate sound system for some voice changer. Hoping to find one with a boom mic inside the helmet that will cover my own voice enough - with the help of a larger "more powerful" speaker. So far I'm still looking too.

Now, you could use a setup with just classic phrases. Have a Cylon sound board of sorts that you could run via switches in the gloves or something... maybe music too? But that wouldn't get you a "voice" to talk with, like at a convention or something.

I'm still looking too - so we can help each other!!!

P.S. One thing you GOT to know right up front - the "real estate" inside the helmet is SMALL. Not like a Stormtrooper, etc. with some room for extra gizmos. Most of it will be filled up with your head - the Mohawk gives room for some gizmos and extra items, but not much. The eye scanner takes up ROOM... and visibility is AWEFUL / Next to nothing... Isn't that great?! Gotta love Cylons ;) LOL! Besides the eye, I'm only planning on a tiny fan being in my helmet. The rest of the electronics will be somewhere else in the suit.
"All Baseships are now in range to attack the Colonies."

Soulsearcher
Citizen

Post by Soulsearcher » Sat Mar 20, 2010 1:37 pm

Thanks for the input cylon-knight, I know nash put a hell of alot of damn fine hard work into his Cylon,he also informed on the vision prob's etc. Luckily though he has installed a couple of fans in the lid and he has added the " eye warble " on a constant loop via an MP3 player and speakers. Having look on the great internet of knowledge, their aint much in the way of voice changers out there, BUT I have heard that ROM FX is working on a voice changer at present which will have the capacity to upload various voice effects ie VADER, IRONMAN, CYLON, YES A CYLON, only found out after I posted this thread! I've been in touch with John at ROM FX and it's a couple of weeks away from being available to buy, but here's the downer, the first units will only be available with Vaders voice effects, a fully working Cylon unitn will be another few weeks off. He's keeping me informed on progress for the Cylon unit, so as and when I know more I'll let you guys know. Until then my Cylon will have to use sign language!!!

Cylon-Knight
Site Administrator

Post by Cylon-Knight » Sat Mar 20, 2010 1:41 pm

Soulsearcher wrote:Until then my Cylon will have to use sign language!!!
Oh dear. When you put on that converted COOPER hockey glove you'll only be able to mumble! lol
(or at the very best studder reallly bad - haha)

Keep us posted on what you find for a voice, and I'll do the same too.

Soulsearcher
Citizen

Post by Soulsearcher » Sat Mar 20, 2010 1:44 pm

Cylon-Knight wrote:
Soulsearcher wrote:Until then my Cylon will have to use sign language!!!
Oh dear. When you put on that converted COOPER hockey glove you'll only be able to mumble! lol
(or at the very best studder reallly bad - haha)

Keep us posted on what you find for a voice, and I'll do the same too.
Ha ha, not too good at sign language anyway, may be telling folk to frak off!? or I could be ordering a take away!! ooh err! lol.

Will definately keep you informed on the progress.

Cy
Raider Commander

Post by Cy » Sun Mar 21, 2010 1:44 pm

Soulsearcher, I got the Hyperdyne labs Vortex II unit. A bit pricey, but so far i like the things i can do with it. They recommend using the Nady head mic which I have yet to locate a local dealer that I can get to. ( currently i have an ajustable boom mic temp, secured to the left cheek area in the brain bucket) Cylon-Knight is right on when he says there is limited room. My big nose rubs the fabric area on the back side of the front grill. So i run a MP3 with the warble and it runs thru the Vortex as a background with the modified voice over. It can be programed for different pictches for a centurian or a gold cylon. Ive been meaning to make some recordings for it, but have yet to get around to it.( my appologies to the community)

Heres their link:
http://www.hyperdynelabs.com/products_e ... 2Voice.php

Cylon-Knight
Site Administrator

Post by Cylon-Knight » Sun Mar 21, 2010 1:51 pm

OH MAN! Record something when you can. Would love to hear it.

YES! No room in the helmet... BUT, I'm going to HAVE To get my glasses in that helmet somehow (with the eye electronics too). They currently fit okay with no scanner electronics.
If I can't wear my glasses, then I might as well just sit down and NOT walk. :cry: Even If I had all the visibility of a Darth Vader helmet, no glasses, NO SEEING! (NEAR sighted)

Cy
Raider Commander

Post by Cy » Sun Mar 21, 2010 1:56 pm

Ill do it for you man. :grin: have you thought about removing lenses from an older pair of glasses and fixing them to the back of the scanner? Then you wont need tp wear them in the bucket

Cylon-Knight
Site Administrator

Post by Cylon-Knight » Sun Mar 21, 2010 2:08 pm

Cy wrote:Ill do it for you man. :grin: have you thought about removing lenses from an older pair of glasses and fixing them to the back of the scanner? Then you wont need tp wear them in the bucket
AH HA! Awesome idea... heehee... OR I have some prescription sun glasses that are the "curved cool" type that sit back right up next to your face. They would be better. I'd just have lower light vision, but still clear. Hummmmmmm You have given me some good ideas :twisted: THANK YOU CY!

Cy
Raider Commander

Post by Cy » Sun Mar 21, 2010 2:11 pm

:byyourcommand:

GoldCylon
Founder

Post by GoldCylon » Mon Mar 22, 2010 1:46 am

There are a few on the fly (live feed in/out) Cylon like voices, but they don't really even come close. One of out members Chrisd memberlist.php?mode=viewprofile&u=10 will be offering new original Cylon voice work he did. This is some of the best work anyone has ever heard before. He has a 2 CD set that is more like a Cylon conversation between the classic chromed guy with a gold, or bronze (Commander) units. These are awesome presentation that Chris has brought to the table to offer up. These CD's will be in the Cylon members store shortly. Chris will offer new original work in a short period of time also. Stay tuned for some exciting Cylon news.

Return to “Centurion Builders' Forum”