Mardikrewe's photos

Tips, tricks, inside secrets, help, sources, items used on making the Cylon Centurion suit to wear. Tell us your story, how you came about collecting your parts to a Centurion, or if you own a complete Centurion costume.
Cylon-Knight
Site Administrator

Post by Cylon-Knight » Fri Jul 10, 2009 9:56 am

That's the stuff nashslash - thanks! I'll put that on my "to buy" list... :twisted: I agree it helps give a nice professional polished look to the edges.

"All Baseships are now in range to attack the Colonies."

Galactifan
Flight Leader

Post by Galactifan » Sat Jul 18, 2009 3:20 am

That sound system totally kicks some butt! I can't wait to build one. Thanks for the detailed info!!!

Mr Fett
Phalanx Leader

Post by Mr Fett » Sun Jul 19, 2009 11:14 am

Any pics of the speaker splitters and how they connect together? I'm not used to electronic stuff so if I attempted a similar setup with the same speakers you got, how do they all connect together and jack into the Ipod?

Mardikrewe
Patrol Member

Post by Mardikrewe » Mon Jul 20, 2009 5:34 am

The regular "old school" nano Ipod has 2 connections at the bottom.

1. The largest is for data transfer and recharging.

2. The other smaller 1/8 inch round port is for the speaker.

I bought 3 1/8" splitters from Radio Shack (2.99).

plug 1 first to the Ipod (splitter) .... off the first splitter you plug 1 speaker and another splitter ........ then the same another splitter and another speaker branching off like that.

I went to another Con this weekend where I was WAY too loud and ended up going back to just 2 speakers as I was echoing throughout the entire place. The setup shown is more for a bar sceen or somewhere outside where there is alot of background noise.

Everyone knew I was coming even in the elevator ..... hehehehe. In the elevator I could be heard 2 floors away:).

Galactifan
Flight Leader

Post by Galactifan » Tue Jul 21, 2009 2:24 am

I just built my Cylon sound system based on the instructions posted above but...I ended up putting 5 speakers in the backpack!...and I put 2 speakers in the front chestpiece (maybe I'll add a few more)!!! The sound totally rocks the room!!! I finally have a very intimidating and menacing Cylon Centurion with this kick-a$$ sound system. The speakers take 3 AAA batteries each (that will get costly). I picked up the speakers at Wal-Mart in the clearance electronics section. I ended up going to 3 different Wal-Marts before I found enough speakers. Be aware the speakers are NOT in the regular portable speaker section of the store, but in the "clearance section" rack. They were ony $12.00 each and work great when you connect a bunch of them together with splitters......they're SUPER LOUD...did I mention they're LOOOOOOOOOOOUD!!! Here's a picture of the box...

Mardikrewe
Patrol Member

Post by Mardikrewe » Tue Jul 21, 2009 4:28 am

Holy COW!

Man, I KNOW you are loud! You are an animal! Yes, you will rock the country side.

My serious sound this past weekend was TOO much for indoors! Just 3 of the 4 pissed off panels that were going on and I could be heard for several hundred feet.

You WILL be heard just about anywhere but you might want only 2 for indoor Cons and the like with less back ground noise. Bars and the like ..... blast em:).

I had a surplus of rechargable batteries so the cost wasn't so bad. Yes, it "will" get expensive considering the batteries although they seem to run for 8 to 12 hours, depending on usage.

Mr Fett
Phalanx Leader

Post by Mr Fett » Tue Jul 21, 2009 10:26 am

Thanks for the info guys, it helps a lot! :D

Cylon-Knight
Site Administrator

Post by Cylon-Knight » Tue Jul 21, 2009 6:40 pm

Do you systems have any vol control while you are in the suit? Or do you have to take the backpack (or whatever part) off where the player is stored?

Galactifan
Flight Leader

Post by Galactifan » Wed Jul 22, 2009 3:24 am

Cylon-Knight wrote:Do you systems have any vol control while you are in the suit? Or do you have to take the backpack (or whatever part) off where the player is stored?
I'm planning to hook up a remote control to my mp3 player that will handle track selection (next track/previous track) and it will have volume control on it. I'm not sure how it will fit inside my glove yet. The control is small but I don't want it to get bumped.

Honestly, I was thinking about installing 2 seperate sound systems. I'll put the "woo woo" warble sound fx on an mp3 player in the backpack connected to 5 speakers that runs continuously. Then I was hoping for a "voice only" Cylon dialog to get connected with a second mp3 player to the front chest armor speakers (probably 2 or 4 speakers) tied in with a wireless Radio Frequency (RF) remote control placed inside the glove. I guess I could even place the RF remote in the helmet and control it with my tongue (yeah, grosse...blech). That way the "woo woo" warble sfx are constantly running in the backpack and when I want to speak I'll just push a button in my glove (or with my tongue) and the dialogue will come out of the chest speakers!!! What do you think?

GoldCylon
Founder

Post by GoldCylon » Wed Jul 22, 2009 9:00 am

Great idea but I am sure you can figure out some cheek movement over a mouth switch.

Cylon-Knight
Site Administrator

Post by Cylon-Knight » Wed Jul 22, 2009 7:18 pm

Great idea. I have thought about two sound systems as well... for the woo woo and the voice.

Maybe the remote could fit inside your glove and you can slip your fingers down to the palm area and work it - without taking the glove off.... big ol' hockey glove ya know ;)

Return to “Centurion Builders' Forum”