TAKARA CYBORG 99

A place to share what you have made, or collect.
Darthvehement
Patrol Member

TAKARA CYBORG 99

Post by Darthvehement » Wed Apr 24, 2024 3:50 pm

TAKARA CYBORG99 Customised Figure

The updated Cyborg 99, same body as the King WALDER99 Cyborg, but with solely mechanical components.
I decided to customise the figure by adding some organic organs, along with wiring and conduits.
The figures look great as they come, but I prefer to create a unique edition of them and there's plenty of room inside the limbs and body to make additions that will enhance their look.
I grew up with the smaller 9 inch Denis Fisher company version figures, so it's great to find original Takara re-issues!

Once dismantled, (as mentioned with the Walder figure) I decided to add biomechanics to match the components already included.
I used clear plastic fishing line for wiring along with clear plastic clothes label ties.
For conduit, white blinding cord and clear plastic coated wire ties are used along with silver sink plug chain.
The pistons in the thighs and upper arms are silver pen buttons and video cassette spindles.
I used clear plastic cable grips to house the thigh pistons, they fit on the plastic screw fixtures inside the legs.

Grey 2mm electric wire makes intestines and Bluetack for internal organs.

The spare set of hands are screwed to clear plastic toothbrush handles which are cut to size, the joint inserts are cut off the hands and screwed to the centre of the handles to join to the wrists.
After cutting and shaping clear plastic, it will be necessary to apply clear coat with varnish, preferably with non yellowing model sealant, as the cut/sanded/filed surfaces will be misted and have a matt finish. The varnish restores clarity and gloss finish. This also works to restore surfaces contaminated with superglue and resultant misting.

For extra strength, I added pins to the internal chest pivots, where the rubber band joins the pelvis and torso.

Bubble wrap is used for the organic brain at the top of the head with wiring.

I was fortunate to find these figures on Ebay, the clear mechanical Cyborgs are fairly easy to find, the 99 variants are quite rare however.
(See pin interest for various editions, Mr also
Attachments
f1e00e3f9ae5d10a77ad754f1afa545b.jpg
a312443794c0e37be9d2fe676f67f1c6.jpg
f341e943af6e00dc66b0eee79d111ac0.jpg

Cylon-Knight
Site Administrator

Re: TAKARA CYBORG 99

Post by Cylon-Knight » Wed Apr 24, 2024 9:43 pm

Bubblewrap for brains - I know a few people like that. ;)
:evillaugh:

Another excellent figure. Thank you for sharing it!
"All Baseships are now in range to attack the Colonies."

Darthvehement
Patrol Member

Re: TAKARA CYBORG 99

Post by Darthvehement » Thu May 02, 2024 9:44 am

Yeah, but a useful material for packing!
Found similar, everyday items that looked biomechanical and transparent to match the figure's fittings. I used blind cords and plastic label ties for the wiring, for example.

Return to “Show off you props, or models that you have built”