MAXIMILLIAN AMT KIT

V.I.N.CENT ("Vital Information Necessary CENTralized") is the optimistic utility robot aboard the U.S.S. Palomino. Here you'll find replica builder tips, tricks and info about the iconic robot.
Darthvehement
Patrol Member

MAXIMILLIAN AMT KIT

Post by Darthvehement » Mon Apr 22, 2024 6:41 pm

AMT MAXIMILLIAN STYRENE KIT

1979 Vintage model kit
Quite a lot of assembly required for this kit, similar to airfix kits and it's essential to follow the instruction steps correctly, in sequence.

There are some production flaws in this kit; bolts should be inserted though the carousel housing the arms to secure them properly, (I had to superglue the arm assembly back, after it fell apart! Not crucial if it's just on display, but it means the arms won't rotate afterwards and disassembly of the kit would be necessary in order to refit the arm carousel)
The other issue I have with this kit are errors with the legs; they are not moulded properly to line up straight with each other when fitted to the mounts on the torso.
I needed to file off about 3mm of excess material in order for them to fit symmetricly!
Also, the bottom of the legs should have a diagonal cut to a point, matching the original design. Instead, the leg tips are square!
(I only noticed this years later, the kit is 40 years + since it's release and there wasn't the reference photos around at that time)
I used a soldering iron with a flat tipped tool to cut and melt the square edges to the required shape.
Once cooled and hard, filed the edges clean and smooth.

I decided to customise some of the arm attachment tools by adding cutters and a drill replacing of one of the sets of power conductors.
The cutters are made from one of the claw mounts, cut down to shape with Serrations filed into the blades.
The drill tool is a glue tube cap with micro drill bits added.
The tool attachments, along with tabs on the tops of the shoulders are metallic silver.

I filled in the slot at the back for the wire stand to fit, as I would be using fishing line to suspend the model inside the display case.

The kit is moulded in the correct colour, so all that is necessary is to
"dirty" down the kit, as per the original, using a black "wash" of thinned paint applied to the recesses and joints, etc, then clear gloss coat to add the final finish.
I actually ended up painting the whole figure with a matching enamel burgundy gloss to cover seams and fills from the modifications and corrections.

For the light for the visor, I painted pink colour enamel, blending out at the edges.
It would be possible to add led lighting inside the head, if desired, as the visor is clear red plastic and there is plenty of room.

As far as I'm aware, this is the only kit produced and the largest edition of this character. Some kits can still be found on Ebay or collectors sites.

L
Attachments
ef9874e6d662f24ad05efad1c2999fa4.jpg
517371d0b675fbf1e5ca1a249774d166.jpg
9a4169b8bd859f8801777677227a21cb.jpg

Cylon-Knight
Site Administrator

Re: MAXIMILLIAN AMT KIT

Post by Cylon-Knight » Wed Apr 24, 2024 10:17 pm

"Save me from Maximillian!" :shock:
--Dr. Hans Reinhardt

I wish I had that classic AMT Maximillian kit. I have the V.I.N.CENT. one. And I'm building at 1:1 V.I.N.CENT. too.
Thank you for sharing the info on the kit, good to know if i ever do find one to build.
"All Baseships are now in range to attack the Colonies."

Darthvehement
Patrol Member

Re: MAXIMILLIAN AMT KIT

Post by Darthvehement » Thu May 02, 2024 10:00 am

Every now and then, they turn up on Ebay, however, prices are eye-watering!

Return to “V.I.N.CENT. Builders' Forum”