The Flags and Symbols of the 12 Colonies of Kobol and Cyrannus

GoldCylon
Founder

Re: The Flags and Symbols of the 12 Colonies of Kobol and Cyrannus

Post by GoldCylon » Sun Nov 11, 2018 9:48 pm

Welcome on board, and great work on the making the flags. A few of the original flags years ago made onto eBay, and cold be a part of this thread. They could be some help in trying to remake the images. :cylongold:

Cylon-Knight
Site Administrator

Post by Cylon-Knight » Sun Nov 11, 2018 10:14 pm

Great work, Cae Lumis/ZFShadow5114 on the flags! All that from DVDs and EXCEL!? Holy Smokes :shock:

oooooooooooh a new one from Illustrator... that would blow the socks off Excel. :nah:
Hopefully you'll have the time to create that, everyone would enjoy it!
"All Baseships are now in range to attack the Colonies."

Cae Lumis
Spare Parts

Post by Cae Lumis » Sun Nov 11, 2018 10:31 pm

Back when I first made the chart, I had no access to a proper art program for my computer, so when I made the chart, I eyeballed the DVDs episode by episode for the banners and overlayed shapes on top of each other till I "puzzle-pieced" the banners together using the shapes available on Excel... which needless to say was time-consuming and sometimes maddening.

As for the project to remake the chart in higher quality, I'd more than welcome all the help I can get in finding better images of the banners! Bluray or no, I'll still have to use my Mk. I eyeball to examine each banner and do my best in recreating them. Having extra images of them might make the task easier to accomplish. I also do plan to include the Cylon Empire's banner seen in the Episode "The Lost Legend Pt. 2" along with the Galactica's ship banner from the "Take the Celestra" in order to complete this chart with all known banners that can be readily seen.

Cylon-Knight
Site Administrator

Post by Cylon-Knight » Sun Nov 11, 2018 10:37 pm

Now you did it...
Cylon drooling. ;)

Looking forward to the new pic(s). Hope we can house them here at By Your Command in our Gallery!
:loveit:

P.S. Excel is maddening just using it for numbers, much less DRAWING!? You're a brave soul!

137th Gebirg
Flight Leader

Post by 137th Gebirg » Tue Nov 13, 2018 11:08 pm

Very cool! I look forward to seeing your updated work on this. These banners have been a bit of a mystery to the fandom for many years. Glad to see some new research being done on them. Thanks very much! :salute:
I may appear unoccupied to you, but at the molecular level, I'm really quite busy.

Cae Lumis
Spare Parts

Post by Cae Lumis » Tue Jul 05, 2022 6:38 pm

So, after a forever of the real world causing me to delay much of my plans, I have *SLOWLY* begun the work I said I would do... however, I've hit a snag and I'm hoping people in here can help me out with. Specifically I am having trouble proportioning the banners correcting and judging just how big they are. If anyone can use the known pictures of the Classic Banners to give me some dimensions, this whole thing will go far more smoothly. So far, I will conclude there were two main variants of banners, the "Burning Caprica"/ "Caprica" style banners (named for the Banner that gets a Close-Up in Saga of a Star World that presumably represents the Colony of Caprica), and the Renfair style Pennants. Both have their own subtypes, The "Caprica-Style" has one variant (as seen below) where some of the edges weren't cut, but colored in instead, and the Pennant ones will either have a boxier swallow tail or regular swallow tail, with one of them ending at a point.

The reason I bring this up is because, just by eyeballing, I think those two main types constitute all of the variants seen in Classic Galactica, which means dimensions for at least one Caprica type, and one Pennant Type, will neatly cover the rest of them and make my job a lot easier.
Attachments
Screen_Shot_2022-07-05_at_7.01.48_PM.png
Screen Shot 2022-07-05 at 7.04.03 PM.png

Cylon-Knight
Site Administrator

Post by Cylon-Knight » Thu Jul 14, 2022 7:54 pm

I will try and give it a go, if a size can be sorted.
I never realized there there differences between the patch/wall/banner logo. VERY COOL!
:loveit:

Cae Lumis
Spare Parts

Post by Cae Lumis » Fri Apr 28, 2023 5:21 am

This seems to be a pattern for me now, disappearing off into the void, only to return again out of the blue. Wonder if I should swap my Galactica Patch Avatar for a Pegasus one. Anyway, after dealing with issues with Adobe, real life, and other myriad of happenings, I present my progress with the revised Galactica Banner Project. Note: While I have attempted to recreate these banners to be as accurate as my reference material allows, I still need dimensions in order to double check and find out if I did my work right, so any help on that front will be appreciated. Enjoy!
Screen Shot 2023-04-28 at 6.12.14 AM.png

GoldCylon
Founder

Post by GoldCylon » Fri Apr 28, 2023 7:34 am

I like the look to these but why does the 2nd to the last one have a bit of a different looking trim section? Is that a test design or sometime a ranking system?

Cae Lumis
Spare Parts

Post by Cae Lumis » Fri Apr 28, 2023 3:20 pm

Its actually a quirk specific to that particular banner, oddly enough. I assume what happened was that the "Caprica Style Banners" all came in a specific shape like the Reddish-Corner one, that the prop teams later cut angles out of for the rest of them. You can see a hint of it here in this image (I'll go find a better example later):
Colonial_Banners_-_War_of_the_Gods_01.png

137th Gebirg
Flight Leader

Post by 137th Gebirg » Thu May 11, 2023 12:04 am

Beautiful! So glad you’re still working on this.
I may appear unoccupied to you, but at the molecular level, I'm really quite busy.

Return to “Insignia”