YAR! (* Yet Another Reboot)

PLEASE READ - Important info about the forum.
GoldCylon
Founder

Re: YAR! (* Yet Another Reboot)

Post by GoldCylon » Thu Oct 22, 2020 5:22 pm

Link Alert

The above link was blocked by my virus scanner (pish) site. Can you copy and paste the information in the body of your posting?

Gold Cylon :cylongold: :cylongold: :cylongold:

137th Gebirg
Flight Leader

Post by 137th Gebirg » Fri Oct 23, 2020 8:47 pm

Huh... Weird... okay, no problem. Here’s the content of the first article:
Jay Basu to write Battlestar Galactica reboot for Universal

Jay Basu (The Girl in the Spider’s Web, Charlie’s Angels, Labyrinth) has come on board Universal’s Battlestar Galactica reboot to pen the script for the reimaging of the television series created by Glen Larson, The Wrap has confirmed. Lisa Joy wrote an earlier draft of the script.

Francis Lawrence (The Hunger Games franchise, Red Sparrow) is directing the project. Dylan Clark (Oblivion) will produce for his Dylan Clark productions alongside Michael De Luca Productions (Social Network). Scott Stuber (Identity Thief) will executive produce. Jay Polidoro and Lexi Barta will oversee the project for Universal, with Brian Williams overseeing for Dylan Clark Productions. Elishia Holmes will oversee for Michael De Luca Productions.

Battlestar Galactica began with the 1978 television series, which chronicled the adventures of space faring vessel centuries in the future. At the end of a millenia-long conflict with a robotic race known as the Cylons, the last surviving warship, the Galactica, leads a convoy of hundreds of human vessels in search of a mythic planet called Earth.

The first Battlestar Galactica series was followed by a brief sequel/spinoff series, Galactica: 1980, two years later. The franchise is arguably best known today, however, as a rebooted television version that premiered in 2004. That series, created by Ronald D. Moore and David Eick, was followed by a short lived prequel series, Caprica, in 2010 and a webseries, Blood & Chrome, in 2012. It is believed that the new Battlestar Galactica movie, which is being produced by Bluegrass Films, will again reboot the franchise.
I may appear unoccupied to you, but at the molecular level, I'm really quite busy.

137th Gebirg
Flight Leader

Post by 137th Gebirg » Fri Oct 23, 2020 8:49 pm

And the second one:
Dylan Clark is also producing the long-gestating feature adaptation of the cult favorite TV series.
The Cylons are on the march.

Simon Kinberg has signed on to write and produce a big-screen take of Battlestar Galactica, Universal’s long-gestating feature adaptation of its sci-fi franchise.

Kinberg, who was the overarching architect for almost a decade’s worth of X-Men movies, now has a new franchise universe to work with and will be starting from the ground up in telling the tale of humans on faraway planets on the run from a race of intelligent machines bent on wiping them out.

He will join producer Dylan Clark who has long shepherded the project at the studio, which has attracted filmmakers such as Bryan Singer and Francis Lawrence over the years.

"Battlestar Galactica is one of the holy grails in science fiction, and I couldn't be more excited about bringing something new to the franchise, while honoring what's made it so iconic and enduring," said Kinberg in a statement. "I'm so grateful that Dylan and my partners at Universal have trusted me with this incredible universe."

Galactica was the short-lived but impactful television series created by Glen A. Larson in the post-Star Wars glow that aired in the late 1970s. The conceit was the idea of human colonies on distant galactic shores who fall pretty to destructive machines known as Cylons. The survivors flee on starships, and are led by the Galactica and her heroic crew, try to find a mythic human colony known as Earth.

Characters included the upstanding Commander Adama, his son Apollo, the brash Starbuck, the traitorous Baltar plus Boomer, Athena and Cassiopeia. The humans zipped in fighter ships known as Vipers while the Cylons’ ships were called Raiders.

The show was revived and re-imagined for the post-9-11 world in 2004 as a thought-provoking, politically-charged series that ran to great acclaim on Syfy from 2004 to 2009. A reboot of the show is currently in development with Mr. Robot creator Sam Esmail executive producing.

Universal’s senior vp of production Jay Polidoro and director of development Lexi Barta, will oversee the project on behalf of the studio.

Kinberg is gearing up for the release of The 355, a female-centric spy thriller he co-wrote and directed. The movie, which features Jessica Chastain, Lupita Nyong’o, Penelope Cruz, Diane Kruger and Fan Bingbing, is currently scheduled to be released by Universal on Jan. 15, 2021.

And while he is taking steps to advance as a helmer, he hasn’t forgotten his writing roots. He created and co-wrote the Apple TV+ series Invasion, which is currently in production. He is in the midst of working with director Jason Bateman on his spec script Here Comes The Flood for Netflix and he also is coming off of selling an untitled Idris Elba-starring, Africa-set spy romance project to Apple.

Kinberg is repped by CAA and Jackoway Tyerman.
There are a bunch of different new names that I hadn’t heard of attached to this before. Hopefully the 20th time’s the charm! :wink: :grin:
I may appear unoccupied to you, but at the molecular level, I'm really quite busy.

GoldCylon
Founder

Post by GoldCylon » Fri Oct 23, 2020 8:57 pm

Thank you..not sure what to think about till I do a bit of research on his past work.

137th Gebirg
Flight Leader

Post by 137th Gebirg » Sat Oct 24, 2020 11:47 am

So, to place this in context, and in the interest of accuracy, the first article I cited was actually an announcement from back in 2018. The second article was dated 2 days ago (October 22). So the first article could be considered ancient history at this point. It was just cited with the second (newer) article because they were both regarding a feature film effort.

There was the earlier (July) announcement of a possible series effort for Peacock Streaming Service, but this may be on hold in favor of the newer re-announced film effort.

This stuff really is getting confusing to follow.

GoldCylon
Founder

Post by GoldCylon » Sat Oct 24, 2020 2:50 pm

In regards to the Peacock series unless it has been put on hold in the past week or so it is still moving along. The last I heard they were now having live in-person weekly meetings with all department heads. That was 6-8 weeks ago. I will say besides slow going it could be because they dumped all but 1 of the writers and they need 8 approved scripts before they get full funding and into the design side of production.

Croft2014
Raider Pilot

Post by Croft2014 » Sat Oct 24, 2020 8:36 pm

Yawn! Yet another complete waste of time, money and talent on remaking an older, classic property ... for the second (new forthcoming TV series) AND a third time (new theatrical film)!!!

Hollywood seems to be utterly creatively DOA or at least the major studios are.

I've still yet to finish the 2003-09 series, finding it unbearably grim, one note, populated with dull, horrible characters and too much hokey religion.

Cylon-Knight
Site Administrator

Post by Cylon-Knight » Mon Oct 26, 2020 3:06 pm

I saw these headlines too... and had the same feeling.
Being from Missouri, it's no coiencidence our state motto springs to my mind immediatly... "Show Me." ;)

I'll believe it when I have Junior Mints in hand in the theater (if they still exist!) and see it.
"All Baseships are now in range to attack the Colonies."

Croft2014
Raider Pilot

Post by Croft2014 » Mon Oct 26, 2020 7:16 pm

But why bother ... why shell out hard earned and encourage them?

Cylon-Knight
Site Administrator

Post by Cylon-Knight » Sun Nov 01, 2020 11:55 am

I'd gladly encourage them to follow the classic series and its type of hopeful, family based story telling. The world needs more Andy Griffith type shows and less Criminal Minds type shows, IMHO.

They should use practical filming models again too, like the Mandolorian. What's old is new again. :D
"All Baseships are now in range to attack the Colonies."

Croft2014
Raider Pilot

Post by Croft2014 » Mon Nov 02, 2020 5:14 am

It would be interesting to see a sequel to the 1978-79 series - skipping Galactica 1980 - but I seriously doubt that anyone would countenance that at the studio. The original is a cult item and it would make it all much more difficult to do, although not impossible. I'd welcome that much more than yet another remake / reboot which is creatively bankrupt. We've had the ultra grim, more adult-orientated version of BG; we don't need another.

That said, frankly I'd prefer they spent the time money and talent on new material, new characters and stories even if they do recycle concepts done before in other material. At least it'd be something to express someone else's voice. We've got enough BG as it stands, we don't really need anymore.

Return to “Updates / Upgrades & Announcements”