Rebuilding the Krop Toilet seat & Backpack

Tips, tricks, inside secrets, help, sources, items used on making the Cylon Centurion suit to wear. Tell us your story, how you came about collecting your parts to a Centurion, or if you own a complete Centurion costume.
MackUK
Phalanx Member

Rebuilding the Krop Toilet seat & Backpack

Post by MackUK » Sat Aug 25, 2018 5:11 am

So I'm finally getting around to remaking my Krop toilet seat shoulder piece & backpack. Rather than the standard "L" shape, I'm making sure the angle is the correct 37 degrees (as measure from various TV photos) using www.ginifab.com/feeds/angle_measurement/ .

In order to do this, there will be a lot intricate cuts, and bending of the shoulder piece. The back pack will be untouched. However, I'm also shortening the shoulder piece so eliminating the self choke Sticky out too far front bit.

Here's what I plan to do...

Using cosplay foam, I've made a rough template of the two components (and when I say rough, I mean it!!) as I'd rather use this and make a mistake, than botch the job on the actual shoulder piece.

&

Here's where I'm going to make the cuts & Bends...

First thing is figure out where I'm lowering the piece over my shoulders to stop it moving backwards or forwards and keep it in place while walking around...

then here's where I'm making the cuts...

Using ducktake to keep everything in place (Don't use glue as you'll need to remove for the template on the real parts) I calculated the angle and stuck the rear piece under the top of the back pack...

I did tell you that the template was a rough (yet to scale) bit of work!

Next I had to figure out how I was going to do the angled piece that reinforces the joint on the lid and backpack...

I'll keep you posted. This shouldn't take long at all as I'm happy with the overall look and feel of the template and best of all, I'm managed to lower the toilet lid, and make it far shorter so this will benefit movement of the helmet as well as what I can see.

Win Win and all that dealy kinda stuff.
Also to hide the joints I'll be using Mylar Chrome tape (ebay - £4.30 a roll of 10M x 10mm)

Soda Can
Phalanx Leader

Re: Rebuilding the Krop Toilet seat & Backpack

Post by Soda Can » Sat Aug 25, 2018 6:48 am

Nice work on the template, good idea I've just got a set of armour and will look at different ways to adapt and build.
Look forward to your updates, I'll be into mine when I return from rarotonga in about two weeks time, I'll also have a 3d printer to maybe help as well.
Great pics, nicely worked out as well.
Keep it up.
If anybody can, Soda Can Cylon can. :cylon:

Cylon-Knight
Site Administrator

Post by Cylon-Knight » Sat Aug 25, 2018 3:55 pm

:loveit:
Excellent work! Loving this. Please do keep us posted.
"All Baseships are now in range to attack the Colonies."

MackUK
Phalanx Member

Post by MackUK » Sun Aug 26, 2018 2:11 am

Soda Can wrote:
Sat Aug 25, 2018 6:48 am
I'll also have a 3d printer to maybe help as well.
What is the size of the base plate? I've had the rifle 3D printed (In parts) and I'm surprised how good the quality is.

I'm not sure of the microns it was printed in, but a bit of sanding and it'll look great!

I'm thinking of getting one myself. But there's a lot to choose from :frack:

Soda Can
Phalanx Leader

Post by Soda Can » Mon Aug 27, 2018 2:00 pm

The printer I'm getting is the crealty CR10S which has a build size of 300mmX300mmX400mm for the print bed.
I'll be using this for my bb8, bb9e, iron man and other builds.
If I can sort out a 3d file for a cylon I'd work on that as well.
So much to build with such a great little machine.
With your rifle, how many parts did you get it printed in, also found that if you do just a quick sand, very quick then shoot it with some filler primer you don't have as many print lines to sand out and fill in.
Normally about three coats will reduce the amount of sanding by half the work.

MackUK
Phalanx Member

Post by MackUK » Fri Aug 31, 2018 1:13 pm

I was looking at this very same one yesterday. Seems a lot of bang for your £'s :salute:

I may have to invest in this one!!

The rifle was in 16 parts I think. Very intricate but worth it as it's been designed for the electronic geek (like me ) in mind.. can be wired up to use all sorts of pcb's and lights and sounds.

Something I'll need to take my time with :)

Soda Can
Phalanx Leader

Post by Soda Can » Sat Sep 08, 2018 4:51 am

MackUK wrote:
Fri Aug 31, 2018 1:13 pm
I was looking at this very same one yesterday. Seems a lot of bang for your £'s :salute:

I may have to invest in this one!!

The rifle was in 16 parts I think. Very intricate but worth it as it's been designed for the electronic geek (like me ) in mind.. can be wired up to use all sorts of pcb's and lights and sounds.

Something I'll need to take my time with :)

I'll be getting my printer in about three days, I've just returned from rarotonga for a holiday and am looking forward to starting to work with it.
I had a good look everywhere then found a company locally that I could buy one from, wanted the warranty coverage within my own country etc etc.

Return to “Centurion Builders' Forum”