Questions about pre Chroming.

Tips, tricks, inside secrets, help, sources, items used on making the Cylon Centurion suit to wear. Tell us your story, how you came about collecting your parts to a Centurion, or if you own a complete Centurion costume.
mancutd
Centurion

Questions about pre Chroming.

Post by mancutd » Sat Jan 13, 2018 8:38 am

Hi everyone, Its been a long while since I last posted on here. I do apologise for my absence. Life and family matters took priority. Well I have started to pick up my Cylon project once again. Still in the process of sanding / filling and sanding again my Fibreglass backpack. God this takes so much time. Anyway to my point. If anyone can help out with their own experience of prepping the armour for full metal chroming it would be much appreciated.

When getting the helmet ready for chroming do you pre drill the pepper pot holes for sight or is this done after the chroming process? Also is it best to leave out the Eye and mouth grill too? Sorry for being a novice in asking but really just looking for confirmation on what the rights steps are getting the whole suit ready for metalizing.

Regards Neil
Last edited by mancutd on Fri Feb 09, 2018 5:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Cylon-Knight
Site Administrator

Re: Questions about post Chroming.

Post by Cylon-Knight » Sat Jan 13, 2018 10:39 am

Welcome back, Neil. Glad you have time for your Centurion fun. It is a long term process, keep at it!

As for the salt and pepper holes. I'm not sure on that one. I do not home them on my helmet. I would think predrilling would be safer (no stray drill bit dancing on your new chrome :shock:). But I could see them wanting to plug up, but would be easy to clear up. That would create a raw edge though and a spot the chrome could peal. Hummm.... that is a tricky situation!?! Hopefully others can post up their experiences.

For the scanner insert and grill. I left them out during chrome. Installed them later, and it has worked great for me that way.

Smooth, smooth, smoooooth!!! If you want a perfect chrome finish the prep work of the parts is key.

Keep us posted on your work.
And remember... ;)
:CK:
"All Baseships are now in range to attack the Colonies."

mancutd
Centurion

Re: Questions about pre Chroming.

Post by mancutd » Sat Jan 13, 2018 12:49 pm

Thanks Cylon-Knight. I think you might be right in pre drilling the holes before hand. A wondering drill bit on fresh Chrome gives me nightmares!! This sanding and filling is taking an eternity i must say. I have used Bondo spot glazing putty on some of the worst defects and then wet sanded from 600 grit through to 2000 grit. The surface is very smooth indeed. Would using a good Primer filler over the top of this be benefical and then do the process of wet sanding again through the grits? :cylon:
Last edited by mancutd on Fri Feb 09, 2018 5:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Cylon-Knight
Site Administrator

Post by Cylon-Knight » Sat Jan 13, 2018 6:38 pm

A good primer would be helpful, yes. It can highlight odd surface spots that are hard to see when everything is mostly one solid plastic color.

Thorsten66
Spare Parts

Post by Thorsten66 » Fri Jan 26, 2018 3:37 pm

Hi,I would use a 2k body filler or let a,body shop spray it for me and sand it by myself .Before sanding spray a little black over it .It will help locate low spots and holes.
Thorsten

GoldCylon
Founder

Post by GoldCylon » Sat Jan 27, 2018 3:15 pm

Glad to see you are back on track with your build.

One thing you should do with all parts as pieces is trim, cut, drill everything before chroming. Doing this in the long run will prevent premature damage in the future. The damage would happen later say if you did drill the salt and pepper holes. The chipping of the chrome along the side could flake off just from rubbing.
If you plan on wearing your costume things like the ankle, and wrist pieces need to precut before chromed, and to help preserve chrome finish you should fold a strip of chrome tape over the edges. This will prevent when taking the parts on and off from chipping. The tape finish might get wrecked over a period of time, but better the tape than the chrome. You can than run the two seamed pieces together with a single piece of chrome tape to hold the two together. Damage to the tape is easy to hide by using another different piece of tape.

mancutd
Centurion

Post by mancutd » Tue Jan 30, 2018 3:41 pm

Hi. Thanks very much guys for your guidance and information. Yes it does make sense to drill and trim all pieces before chroming. I'm also thinking of adding the chrome U shaped edge trim that Nashlash did on his suit at the end to protect the edges of the armour. A long way off getting to that stage at the moment.

I went ahead and primed the backpack using filler primer. Its in yellow but really highlights any pin holes. i have been filling these up with Bondo spot and glazing putty then wet sanding down again. My main issue and I think I have created more work for myself, is in the process of being a complete novice at building armour I have ended up sanding too much away in certain spots! :frack: Now I'm using Isopon P38 body filler to build up areas again to get a conformity that matches up. Sounds a nightmare I know and it is!! lol. If i could start again from the beginning I would believe me.

Somehow I have managed to take a pre-assembled Fibre Glass backpack which was ultimately in 95% finished state and take it back towards 50%. Many times I feel like giving up and admitting defeat. But no I will get this right as best I can and keep going. It might take me years but the learning experience along the way and discovering what works and what doesn't is an adventure in it's self. I wish I had the skills that so many of you have in building your armour. Your experiences and information though is invaluable. :loveit:

Cylon-Knight
Site Administrator

Post by Cylon-Knight » Tue Jan 30, 2018 3:46 pm

Keep up the good work, mancutd! Sounds like you're doing just fine - don't give up. It is a long process, indeed. A typical Centurion build does take years. In the end you'll be thrilled with all the effort put into your costume.

Keep us posted and share some photos when you can. Happy to help - keep asking if you have questions.
:byyourcommand:

mancutd
Centurion

Post by mancutd » Tue Jan 30, 2018 6:27 pm

Thanks so much Cylon-Knight. It does make the difference having forum members to be able to turn too and offer encouragement. I will try to take some pictures of my back pack and show you where I'm at...! I have managed to mod my gloves too following the brilliant tutorial on here. Just need to get some black Dye now.

I will start a new thread for my Cylon build when I have some pics ready to upload. Please don't expect great progress though.. As you said it takes years completing it all. I have spent the last 2-3 years saving up and sourcing all the components to finally have everything that is needed to build an accurate screen replica. The undersuit I had made by the lovely Cordula in Germany and I lucked out on getting a GM Power belt too. Just in the process of ordering a New Scanner Eye from Hyperdyne.

Was a bit torn in getting a Bulb version he does or a LED one? Thinking going the LED route as no heat issues or Bulb burnout. With Hyperdynes LED version with comet trail and coupled with a good diffuser, it passes off as a bulb scanner quite well from the videos i have seen on youtube. Before i submit my order to him can I ask yourself or anyone for that matter what would be the choice to take? Bulb or Led?

Many thanks

Neil. :cylongold:

Return to “Centurion Builders' Forum”