Reboot announced again

Is Battlestar Galactica coming back to the big screen? Universal has announced it intends to bring new life to BSG based on the classic series story line. Check here for news and info on the project.
GoldCylon
Founder

Reboot announced again

Post by GoldCylon » Tue Feb 09, 2016 9:27 pm

Red Eye
Cylon Empire VIP & BYC.net Gallery Admin
It’s my birthday

Re: Reboot announced again

Post by Red Eye » Wed Feb 10, 2016 9:39 am

Thanks for sharing!

Hopefully they'll do it right this time.
"There can be no survivors. So long as one human remains alive the Alliance is threatened."

GoldCylon
Founder

Post by GoldCylon » Wed Feb 10, 2016 9:49 am

The announced producer clearly has a track recorded, and is in the prime age range where Galactica was a part of his childhood.

137th Gebirg
Flight Leader

Post by 137th Gebirg » Wed Feb 10, 2016 10:56 pm

--sigh-- Singer's involved again as producer. Doesn't bode well with his track record on this particular property.
I may appear unoccupied to you, but at the molecular level, I'm really quite busy.

GoldCylon
Founder

Post by GoldCylon » Wed Feb 10, 2016 11:03 pm

Did I misread it. I didn't see Bryan's involvement at all, except past reference on failed attempts.

137th Gebirg
Flight Leader

Post by 137th Gebirg » Thu Feb 11, 2016 10:36 am

3rd paragraph:
“X-Men” director Bryan Singer is also on board to produce through his Bad Hat Harry banner, with Jay Polidoro is overseeing for Universal Pictures. “Transcendence” scribe Jack Paglen will pen the script.
So, yeah. He's in the mix, albeit only as a producer, but that's a big role to play in film making an I fear he will once again get drawn away by another shiny object somewhere down the line, killing the project a, what is it now, 4th time? As he is often wont to do. I feel like Charlie Brown and Singer is Lucy holding the football. Maybe THIS time...
I may appear unoccupied to you, but at the molecular level, I'm really quite busy.

GoldCylon
Founder

Post by GoldCylon » Thu Feb 11, 2016 10:54 am

"Jack Paglen will pen the script"
That was 2 or 3 years ago when Jack was announced to script Galactica. His "Transcendence" film project was his first production, and a flop. He will never be used again (IMHO)

137th Gebirg
Flight Leader

Post by 137th Gebirg » Thu Feb 11, 2016 11:21 am

Well that's weird. I wonder if, in the absence of any substantive official information from Universal, the author of the article found out-of-date information online and regurgitated it. If true, it may be a whole new team we don't know about.

Inquiring minds are warming up the glow-plugs... :grin:

GoldCylon
Founder

Post by GoldCylon » Thu Feb 11, 2016 11:27 am

Michael has a successful run mostly at Universal Studios. I think he will be given wide rein to do this the correct way.
http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0006894/?ref_=fn_al_nm_1

137th Gebirg
Flight Leader

Post by 137th Gebirg » Thu Feb 11, 2016 11:32 am

I'm now wondering if the previous failed attempts were due less to Singer's involvement, but more to Larson's ownership of movie rights. Is it possible that every time a new movie effort was announced (that just happened to be helmed by Singer), Larson popped up and demanded a cut, ultimately killing the effort? Now that he's passed and his estate settled with Universal last month, this announcement seems more than just mere coincidence. Maybe this is the one that will finally make it through after all?

GoldCylon
Founder

Post by GoldCylon » Thu Feb 11, 2016 1:51 pm

Larson had his hands in every theatrical release, but was not the main producer. He didn't muck things up except maybe script approval. Singer had horrible script ideas (by Glen's standard), and Glen won't sign off of those non 2001 attempts Singer had his hands in.

Now the settlement with Glen's estate, and Universal over owed royalties had nothing to do with a movie production happening or not happening. The rights were sold off about 1 year before Glen's death, and while shopping the sell off the rights to the Galactica movie the timing was just dumb luck the in the filing of the lawsuit for past royalties. Two separate events unrelated, but involving the same two groups.

137th Gebirg
Flight Leader

Post by 137th Gebirg » Thu May 05, 2016 10:56 am

Any news on this since February? It's been depressingly quiet, and I fear this project is once again crawling back into vaporware mode by default.

GoldCylon
Founder

Post by GoldCylon » Thu May 05, 2016 11:00 am

Not that people can not multitask but I don't count this as good news. If you recall about 3 months ago Michael De Luca was named as the new producer to a classic reboot to Battlestar Galactica. He has since been in Canada working on the sequel to Fifty Shades of Gray "Fifty Shades Darker". Principal filming on that just wrapped, and now this was just announced.
http://deadline.com/2016/05/andrew-garf ... 201749364/

137th Gebirg
Flight Leader

Post by 137th Gebirg » Fri May 06, 2016 8:40 am

Ugh... Sounds like we might be in for another back-burner-ing. Sigh...

[Rodney Dangerfield] No respect! [/Rodney Dangerfield]

Return to “Universal's Battlestar Galactica reboot 2016”