My Imperious Leader costume

His Eminence, our Imperious Leader. He is the highest authority of the Cylon Empire… and the reason for “by your command.” This is an elite builder group; few have taken on the daunting task of recreating full or even partial Imperious Leader costumes/displays. If you are looking for amazing build threads and info – THIS is the place.
Red Eye
Cylon Empire VIP & BYC.net Gallery Admin
It’s my birthday

My Imperious Leader costume

Post by Red Eye » Fri Nov 21, 2008 2:31 pm

I just want to let you know that the construction of the facemask and headpiece for my Imperious Leader costume has begun.

I'll post a few pics as soon as they are available.

Stay tuned!

Cylon-Knight
Site Administrator

Post by Cylon-Knight » Fri Nov 21, 2008 5:16 pm

Sounds VERY cool! Can't wait to see the photo and hear about the materials your using for it.
"All Baseships are now in range to attack the Colonies."

Red Eye
It’s my birthday

Post by Red Eye » Tue Dec 23, 2008 11:24 am

At long last... here are the first pictures for the sculpture of the Imperious Leader mask... enjoy!

http://rapidshare.com/files/176138263/L ... ask_01.JPG

http://rapidshare.com/files/176138392/L ... ask_02.JPG

There are still a lot of details to work out, but it delivers a good first impression of the size and form of the mask.

I think it is very well done so far... what are you think?

I'll post more photos when I have them!

GoldCylon
Founder

Post by GoldCylon » Wed Dec 24, 2008 10:45 am

WoW......very cool, great detailed work......I am impressed.........Can't wait to see the rest!!!

Cylon-Knight
Site Administrator

Post by Cylon-Knight » Wed Dec 24, 2008 12:00 pm

WOW RED-EYE! You can go work for I.L.M. great talent. Can't wait to see more. Keep us posted.

Red Eye
It’s my birthday

Post by Red Eye » Thu Dec 25, 2008 3:11 am

Thank you guys!

But first, to avoid any misunderstandings: I didn't make it. I wish I have that kind of skill in visual arts, but I don't... so I've commissioned it to a professional costume designer.

As soon as there are any news or pictures availbalbe, you're will be the first to know!

Long live the Imperious Leader! :wink:

Cylon-Knight
Site Administrator

Post by Cylon-Knight » Thu Dec 25, 2008 10:54 am

Dude, it still rocks... and when you are done, you can boss us all around! lol (even GoldCylon - a 'lowly centurion' haha). Just kidding around.

I was looking at the photos again... where would you look out of the mask? I am guessing the two "upper nose?" holes?

Also, will the mouth move any? The screen used IL didn't ever get a clear close up as far as I know... kept him mysterious with a voice from all around.

And my last question (for now) - will the eyes light? I think they did in the show, had a creepy glow to them.

Again - good work putting the project together that in itself isn't easy! Keep us posted with lots of photos.

Red Eye
It’s my birthday

Post by Red Eye » Fri Dec 26, 2008 10:06 am

Thank you for these kind words!

The viewing areas of the original mask (and mine of course) had two fairly large eyeholes located in the forehead, making it very comfortable for the actor to see, compared to the small salt-and-pepper holes in the Centurion helmets, where the sight was next to zero...

I've marked the eyeholes on this close-up picture of the original mask:

http://rapidshare.com/files/176961398/L ... _areas.jpg

Yes, the mouth will also move... when you look at the deleted scenes of "Saga of a Star World" in the DVD boxset, the best (and only) example of the Leader's mouth movement is evident during the scene in which he communicates with the Carillon Garrison Commander through the holographic glas orb.

And yes, the eyes will glow in a gently green, as they did in most of the close-up shots...

Here's a good impression of how the eyes will look like:

I can assure you I'll post more pictures when I've got them!

It's great to know that some people are out there who are such Imperious Leader-enthusiasts as I am... :wink:

Cylon-Knight
Site Administrator

Post by Cylon-Knight » Sat Dec 27, 2008 10:16 pm

Can we look forward to photos of your winged lizard build too? Can't be a real IL without your little pet :twisted:

Red Eye
It’s my birthday

Post by Red Eye » Sun Dec 28, 2008 11:16 am

Yes, you're right!

The winged lizard pet of the Leader will be present, too.

Luckily, I was able to get a three-horned plastic chamaleon in a passably scale.

So all what has to be done with it is to add the two wings and repainting it.

As you can see, I've taken care of every small detail to make this costume one-of-a-kind... :wink:

GoldCylon
Founder

Post by GoldCylon » Sun Dec 28, 2008 11:57 am

A little insight on the filming on the three horned creature. The owner only agreed to one day of filming, so it was a rush to clue the wings on, and get the Leader set up and ready for filming also. That is the reason why he three horned guy was never seen again. Just a extra budget thing added in for good behavior.

Red Eye
It’s my birthday

Post by Red Eye » Mon Dec 29, 2008 6:12 am

Thank you for the info.

I like the idea of the Leader holding his own pet.

It might be his way to deride his organic ancestors.

Red Eye
It’s my birthday

Post by Red Eye » Mon Dec 29, 2008 1:21 pm

I've posted a compilation of all scenes which are showing the Imperious Leader...

You can watch it here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YxzKxw9dntw

Enjoy!

Cylon-Knight
Site Administrator

Post by Cylon-Knight » Mon Dec 29, 2008 8:33 pm

Wow, very nice work. Odd that the evil IL(s) - two of them! Only got under 9 minutes of screen time.

I never realized the lizard with wings was real! I figured it was a plastic prop, not a dressed up live animal.

Red Eye
It’s my birthday

Post by Red Eye » Tue Dec 30, 2008 8:19 am

Thank you!

It's a shame that only of Mr. Larson's antipathy for the Leader he doesn't got the screentime he deserved, not to mention the abandonment of showing any close-ups of him... I think it was such an disappointment to the guy who have created the mask of the Leader...

By the way: Does any of you know who was responsible for the creation of the Imperious Leader? Official sources name Carlo Rambaldi (who became famous for his work on "E.T." and "Alien") as creator of the Imperious Leader, but funnily enough, he denies any responsibility to this day. Here's a very interesting article about the story, for all who didn't know it yet: http://www.galactica.tv/battlestar-gala ... eader.html

Unfortunately, the idea of the small lizard pet never come to full fruition because of the avoidance of showing any close-ups.

For a long time it was assumed that the whole Imperious Leader was a dummy instead of a real actor due to his lack of movement.

Return to “Imperious Leader Builders' Forum”